Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

At what point is it safe to jump off Benzo's?

[Fi...]

That's what I've been thinking firefly, I keep hearing people get depressed on Valium. I'm not depressed, a little spaced out maybe :idiot: lol, but not depressed.

Well whatever decision you decide to make your doing a great job and there are alot of people on here to support you. Xanax is tough but you made it from 2mg down to 1mg and now down to .75 so your almost there  :)

Again when I first got on this forum several weeks ago I thought I made a huge mistake in dropping my dose that fast and Im not going to lie it was pure hell what I went through and the w/d hasnt been easy. But after all the posts I have read It amazes me that time and time again I read posts of people who are tapering really slow and they sound just as bad as I did and like you I feel extremely sorry for them.

I totally agree.

"My personal belief for your situation is that if this were me doing it knowing what I know now from this forum I wouldnt cross over to a different benzo at this stage I would continue to make cuts like you are now to a lower dose and then jump off."... firefly

That's what my instincts are telling me, to taper down and then jump at .0625mg of Xanax....the sx's might be rough but at least I won't have the ball and chain to drag around. :)

I am w/o a doubt the slowest taperer here! I started dry cutting .25 K 4 months ago turning to water triation at .08 ans still am at .009! Had no really bad times though...slow is the way to go w/o pain! Will cut down to 0..and I see no after math as my body has slowly healed as I went along. If I had any problems I stopped and held...I was even really my sickessed at around .05?!  GL

Really glad I found this thread.  I'm on a quicker taper than many people advocate but finding the symptoms to be quite tolerable so far and thankful that I'm not going to drag this out longer than strictly necessary.

As this thread shows, there isn't a single plan that suits everyone.  As long as you are on a schedule that is both safe and works for you, you probably aren't making a mistake.

I think it depends on how sensitive you are to begin with.  How much of a pill would give you some relief.  I am really sensitive.  When I first started klonopin, 1/4 of .5mg pill would help with symptoms.  The last time I got off klonopin, once I got below that point then I could go off.  I actually took 1/8 of .5mg at the end and it was relatively smooth.  This time I'm trying to get off the .25mg I've been on for 7 months and it hasn't been easy because each time I figured well it's only .25mg, I can just cut by half or a quarter.  Failed pretty bad.  So for me, I realized I have to cut by 1/8 of .25mg at a time and it seems like it may work for me.  If I can get below .125mg I think it will get easier, but should take another 3 or 4 weeks probably.

I've taken everyone's advice, together.... and am continuing to taper slowly.. I'm at .135Mg's of Clonazapam a day now and it's getting easier the less I am taking.. Going slow has been allowing my brain chemistry to adjust before the next taper.. And like I've read.. I wait until I've stablized between tapers for 5 days before starting again.. so it takes me about 15 to 20 days between tapers. I won't even consider jumping off until I reach .0625 (1/8 of a 5 Mg. pill)!  It's great to get feedback!!!

I've taken everyone's advice, together.... and am continuing to taper slowly.. I'm at .135Mg's of Clonazapam a day now and it's getting easier the less I am taking.. Going slow has been allowing my brain chemistry to adjust before the next taper.. And like I've read.. I wait until I've stablized between tapers for 5 days before starting again.. so it takes me about 15 to 20 days between tapers. I won't even consider jumping off until I reach .0625 (1/8 of a 5 Mg. pill)!  It's great to get feedback!!!

Yep, that's where I got off before, 1/8 of a .5mg pill and by that point it was pretty smooth. 

I am on a slow taper. Most days it is very hard, but it is supposed to be. I am not kidding myself that it will be easy to take away a drug that my brain is dependent on to release dopamine and serotonin. A taper is a nightmare, but in almost every thread I read about people having problems plus 6 months, the majority of have chosen a cold turkey, or has c/t´d before choosing taper. They are off the drug, but I do not understand why folks are surprised that they are still in severe withdrawal more than 6 months after the cold turkey.

We all hail to Ashton and her decade long studies with benzodiazepines, but still it seems like more than 50% of the users of this site has chosen the cold turkey.

In general, a cold turkey maybe will get you there in the same time as a taper, but almost every study I have read shows that the a cold turkey dramatically increases the risk of protracted withdrawal syndrome. I could be wrong though?

Is a cold turkey not like taking a piss against the wind?

Any reflections on that? 

• 1 month later...
I've just leaped off Clonazepam at .08625 Mg's. I was experiencing worse symptoms when ever I took a dose so I figured it was my bodies way of telling me to leap off. I'm at the 72 hour point benzo free and we all know that this is the point where our brains have to take over and function without help. I'll update as I go through the process to let the rest of you know what it's like. So far I can say that the intense vertigo I was experiencing just prior to jumping has reduced tremendously, but I'm only at the 72 hour point so we'll see how it goes.. eek!  :D

I've just leaped off Clonazepam at .08625 Mg's. I was experiencing worse symptoms when ever I took a dose so I figured it was my bodies way of telling me to leap off. I'm at the 72 hour point benzo free and we all know that this is the point where our brains have to take over and function without help. I'll update as I go through the process to let the rest of you know what it's like. So far I can say that the intense vertigo I was experiencing just prior to jumping has reduced tremendously, but I'm only at the 72 hour point so we'll see how it goes.. eek!  :D

Congratulations Find Artist,

I saw that you leaped in the shout box. Wonderful news. I also liked what you have in your signature line of using bi-aural tapes with a calming narrative to keep your brain calmed down. When I listen to classical music when I'm driving I feel a lot more tranquil. What an encouragement to see buddies become benzo free!  :thumbsup:

How is it going fine artist?  I am in a similar spot, I haven't taken any in 6 days.  Took almost 3 weeks to get off the last 1/8 of .25mg smoothly.  I was taking even smaller, like 1/16 of .25mg at the end.  Sleep seems to be improving and I should be able to sleep good without extra stuff really soon i think.  Then wait a little bit and work on the depakote and hopefully in a couple months I'll be free of all this shit.   

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [Sh...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [...]
    • [su...]
    • [El...]