Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can benzo usage cause diseases? Can treating said disease create setbacks?

[do...]

fluff, you can put Maugham1 on "Ignore". I have had to do that with a few bbs whose comments make my head explode. Doing that will ensure you never read what he posts, don't get ticked off, and aren't tempted to engage with him. My life is much more tranquil since I put a few people on Ignore.

Best to you,

:smitten:

Katz

fluffer, I suggest you take oregonkatz advice. Though to be honest, I don't thing Maugham1 dislikes you, he just doesn't share your opinion on some stuff. He may come across as abrasive, he is direct and to the point. I get where he is coming from and have agreed with many of his posts. Maybe it's because I'm looking at things through a different lens, and the reality is that people are going to have disagreements. You two may never see eye to eye. so if he's too much for you, put him on "Ignore". Heck, Cantfly and I had a disagreement regarding a quote from Dr Reg Pert that I posted in response to another members' question. When Cantfly said he didn't like it, I let it go. At that point, the other member had made their decision, so there was really nothing left to discuss. I don't dislike Cantfly, the feeling is likely mutual. We just weren't going to agree with each other. Nothing  Maugham1 said or did in this thread appeared to violate BB posting guidelines. I think both of you got a little heated at times, but that's it. I happen to like Maugham1, and I happen to like you too. Will miss you while you are gone.

Having a mare, I have to disagree with you, if you feel that way, then you should also do as oregonkatz suggested to fluffer. I honestly haven't seen Maugham1 engage in trolling, but if you think he is, alert the mods and let them handle it.

There is no such a disease as "inflammation". Inflammation is a symptom of certain (many) diseases. Doctors can diagnose those diseases but patients can't self diagnose vasculitis or any other disease. That's what doctors do. There is low level inflammation in the body (especially in adipose tissue, liver, pancreas) in obesity, but here the underlying disease is obesity. This can not be treated by steroids. Obesity responds very well to exercise and decreased calorie intake.

Steroids are dangerous drugs and should only be prescribed by doctors.

Adrenal support is only needed in Addison's disease or pituitary disease or Adrenal Hyperplasia. They are very uncommon and should be only diagnosed by doctors, preferably endocrinologists.

Molecular hydrogen works if you believe in it. Just like anything else. Nice placebo effect.

Benzo withdrawal does not cause inflammation. Inflammation of what?

Bold part added by me. You may not be familiar with it. It's genetic, autosomal recessive, and I have it. Had adrenal crisis once, nearly died of adrenal shock on another occasion, usually the result of extreme stress on the adrenals caused by an illness. I was on dexamethasone, but to my Endocrinologist's surprise, my labs have been showing normal adrenal production. She said it's not unheard of, but rare. I still have the disease, it's just currently in some sort of remission. I still have regular lab work, and haven't shown signs of insufficiency. Corticosteroids should be used short term to treat certain conditions, but long term use is only appropriate where there is insufficiency. Using too much too long when not needed can cause Cushingoid disease. I'm glad I'm not needing them, because it may ramp up W/D symptoms. But if the endo says I gotta go back on them, I trust the endo. If I need them, they may not affect my W/D at all. I am to take them under certain conditions, so I have a bottle here, and my endo has told me when I may need them temporarily.

Lottie, I'm sorry you have adrenal hyperplasia. The adrenal shock must have been a horrific experience. My point is exactly yours, in that glucocorticoids (steroids) are drugs that should only be taken when and how the doctor prescribed them.

Lottie, I'm sorry you have adrenal hyperplasia. The adrenal shock must have been a horrific experience. My point is exactly yours, in that glucocorticoids (steroids) are drugs that should only be taken when and how the doctor prescribed them.

Thank you, but I've been managing it really well. I've got a great Endo since moving to Delaware. Yeah, the shock was scary, but I was really sick with gastroenteritis and the ER doc thinks I didn't get my full dose of the steroid due to the fact that I was vomiting a great deal, and anything I took by mouth was rapidly being excreted, and the virus made me dehydrated and malnourished and my electrolytes were low. Wise doctor realized what was happening as he looked at my labs and noticed I was unresponsive. He told me I was close to death, my levels were dangerously low and I was nearly in shock. I was given all kinds of stuff by IV, starting with the dexamethasone. My Endo thinks one reason for me being in remission is I'd been on a weight loss journey, and am now at a normal healthy weight. I had been obese for some time, but drastically changed my diet. No bariatric surgery. I eat healthy whole foods. I lost the weight, and have kept it off. I don't expect to ever be in that situation again. My Endo is very proud of my hard work. My cholesterol is normal and am no longer diabetic, she took me off so many meds. I only require low dose blood pressure med, and that won't change because I still have Adrenal Hyperplasia.

OP: You ultimately gotta make a choice for yourself. However, to add in: This was discussed in the Benzo FB group I'm in and one lady was tested and showed inflammation everywhere. As she healed it went away.

[9a...]

oregnonkatz, thanks for letting me know about the ignore feature. I didn't know about that.

I don't want to fight with anyone. I agree that corticosteroids are appropriate for adrenal hyperplasia and other adrenal disorders. They are also used for serious inflammatory disorders - autoimmune disease, vasculitis, asthma exacerbations. And they are also explored for helping chronic illness - low doses in chronic fatigue to support healing.

Overall, in my opinion, the only way we are going to make progress in medicine is to start thinking outside the box. That means looking at conditions in new ways, understanding how to heal the body with low doses of healing substances, which may include corticosteroids or something else. There is a blast approach often that doesn't help us.

Anyway, I with healing for everyone, and hope we all gather our collective experience to help one another. I hope that there is more positive as well. It seems most things are about how this or that caused a horrible reaction, rather than how something really helped.

• 1 month later...

A little update for those interested:

1) Went to rheumatologist and after check up they told me I do not have any of the signs of disease in terms of rheumatology.

2) As far as inflammation goes I was tested for hemachromatosis (since my ferretin levels are at highest 615 and no currently 457 (safe range is 50-150)) and I had one of the carrier genes.

a) My liver doctor is currently MRIing my liver to see if there is build up of iron and to check for other diseases. He thinks I do not have hemochromatosis.

b) Now my hematologist thinks I have a like a half-assed version of hemochromatosis (she said she sees this all the time). Where I don't have the full blown disease but a lesser version (normal hemacrhomatosis patients get ferretin in the 1000-5000+ range).

c) my GI doctor tested me for the hemochromatosis originally and lyme. It looks like I have some lyme variants but not the full blown (once again) version that can be detected by western labs. He wants me not to start treatment for lyme but to DETOX first. And this is where I get scared. This means supplements, strange things like ozone therapy (where they pull blood from you and push ozone through it and put it back in you). Ive read up on it and some are saying its a toxin and others (some .gov sites as well) claim its a practice for hundreds of years and that nikola tesla was one of the first to patent it.

3)My neurologist says I have neuropathy, and tested me for diabetes because of the symptoms (temporary blurred vision, dizzy spells, etc). The 4hr glucose test looks all in range, and I was told to do finger prick tests when I had symptoms. Did it (3) times all in range and since I'm a pussy I stopped doing more :D

TL;DR: For those with inflammation symptoms, get checked for your ferretin levels. IF they are high get checked for the hemochromatosis gene. Ferretin is neuro-toxic (in high amounts), can cause all kinds of symptoms, and it feeds bacteria (which can lead to leaky gut, more inflammation from digestion issues, create allergies, autoimmune responses etc). Ferretin is the bodies store of iron, which isn't normally checked. They usually check for iron only and that is what is currently in the blood. Ferretin is stored in organs and released to balance out iron when it is low.

Hopefully this diary is helpful to someone. ;D

So my plan is as follows (open to comments/suggestions):

1) Handle the ferretin first. This requires doing 1 pint blood removals at a time (once a week or bi weekly (really freaked out about this)).

a) monitor levels and once it falls to safe range give it a month to see if symptoms improve.

2) If symptoms do not improve (low blood pressure the scary one) then go into the detox portion.

3) If symptoms do not improve then antibiotics for the lyme.

What a life!

1) Went to rheumatologist and after check up they told me I do not have any of the signs of disease in terms of rheumatology.

2) As far as inflammation goes I was tested for hemachromatosis (since my ferretin levels are at highest 615 and no currently 457 (safe range is 50-150)) and I had one of the carrier genes.

a) My liver doctor is currently MRIing my liver to see if there is build up of iron and to check for other diseases. He thinks I do not have hemochromatosis.

b) Now my hematologist thinks I have a like a half-assed version of hemochromatosis (she said she sees this all the time). Where I don't have the full blown disease but a lesser version (normal hemacrhomatosis patients get ferretin in the 1000-5000+ range).

c) my GI doctor tested me for the hemochromatosis originally and lyme. It looks like I have some lyme variants but not the full blown (once again) version that can be detected by western labs. He wants me not to start treatment for lyme but to DETOX first. And this is where I get scared. This means supplements, strange things like ozone therapy (where they pull blood from you and push ozone through it and put it back in you). Ive read up on it and some are saying its a toxin and others (some .gov sites as well) claim its a practice for hundreds of years and that nikola tesla was one of the first to patent it.

3)My neurologist says I have neuropathy, and tested me for diabetes because of the symptoms (temporary blurred vision, dizzy spells, etc). The 4hr glucose test looks all in range, and I was told to do finger prick tests when I had symptoms. Did it (3) times all in range and since I'm a pussy I stopped doing more :D

TL;DR: For those with inflammation symptoms, get checked for your ferretin levels. IF they are high get checked for the hemochromatosis gene. Ferretin is neuro-toxic (in high amounts), can cause all kinds of symptoms, and it feeds bacteria (which can lead to leaky gut, more inflammation from digestion issues, create allergies, autoimmune responses etc). Ferretin is the bodies store of iron, which isn't normally checked. They usually check for iron only and that is what is currently in the blood. Ferretin is stored in organs and released to balance out iron when it is low.

I'm glad you don't have "inflammation".

I do have inflammation. Doctors said that elevated ferretin levels is a sign of inflammation.

I do have inflammation. Doctors said that elevated ferretin levels is a sign of inflammation.

I think you are missing the point Maugham1 was making, hence his use of quotation marks. If you followed the discussion, he was making the point that inflammation is not a disease, but a symptom of one. Which you found to be true in your situation, and you were sharing that those who have inflammation should find out what was causing it. In your case, they ruled out common causes, and found you have elevated ferritin levels.

How is this corrected?

I'm freaked out by the treatment. You have to drain a pint of blood once a week until you hit normal levels. I've been drinking/eating foods that do this naturally at a minuscule level.

I think you are missing the point Maugham1 was making, hence his use of quotation marks. If you followed the discussion, he was making the point that inflammation is not a disease, but a symptom of one. Which you found to be true in your situation, and you were sharing that those who have inflammation should find out what was causing it. In your case, they ruled out common causes, and found you have elevated ferritin levels.

Yeah you're right. This high ferritin is messing with my cognition.

"The most common causes of elevated ferritin levels are obesity, inflammation, and daily alcohol intake. The most common causes of genetic-related elevated ferritin levels is the condition hemochromatosis." Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/ferritin

"The most common causes of elevated ferritin levels are obesity, inflammation, and daily alcohol intake. The most common causes of genetic-related elevated ferritin levels is the condition hemochromatosis." Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/ferritin

yep