Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

PTSD Episodes vs Brain Zaps

[al...]

Hey all,

I need some help distinguishing between w/d symptoms. I'm a little over two years out and fell into the wave/setback from hell back in November due to taking Amoxicillin after having surgery. Ever since completing the antibiotics, I have been having what I thought are brain zaps up to 3x daily, but they may actually be PTSD episodes and it's terrifying. The way I have been describing them to people is that it starts out as this weird feeling of deja-vu or like some strange past memory comes up out of nowhere. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but the memory starts to get more intense. Then the DP/DR gets super bad, I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out. I then have to lay down for about 15-20 min before the dizziness goes away before I can resume whatever I was doing and focus again. This has been my worst symptom ever since my set back along with all of my hair turning grey and falling out again.

Is this a brain zap, or is this some kind of PTSD episode? I see people describe brain zaps as an electric feeling in the brain, but this is more like some weird almost nonsensical trauma flashback that completely debilitates me. I never had these issues prior to benzo w/d.

I'm feeling so scared and hopeless right now because this has been going on for over two months now, so any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not brain zaps. Brain zaps are very short and they are a physical quick sensation of electric shock type feeling in your head.

Sometimes they can even have a loud pop that only you can hear. But mostly just the electric feeling like a pinched nerve in your head for a brief second. That's it.

Yours sounds more like DR to me. But I only had a few DR episodes, but plenty of brain zaps...so maybe someone with more DR could verify me?

I've had the déjà vu and memories resurfacing.  I've seen these mentioned here a number of times.  If I had the mental agility I'd try to describe better, but can't.  Just wanted you to know I've had the déjà vu. Also PTSD. 

I'm slowly improving, and think that my brain has been completely shattered by this experience only now able to put the shattered pieces together.  Making sense of things. 

Brain zaps are as Southern Belle describes.  Electrical ZAP in the head.  Not what you are describing. 

Sorry so unable to describe better. 

I don't think anybody can do better than give a vague opinion. It's just guessing, because it's a complicated question. I'd suggest to you that the fine distinction doesn't matter. If you think PTSD is a factor, I believe that it could manifest in all kinds of ways. I think it's a big factor in a lot of my behaviour. It's just what I believe because it fits for me and some smart people say trauma is a big deal. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate all the information. I realize the question is kind of complicated, but I think overall I'm just trying to make sure this is a withdrawal symptom and not some other health-related issue that I should be concerned about. Also wanted to check and see if this is a normal thing to experience during withdrawal, as I haven't seen it mentioned here on the forums very much.

It probably helps then if I share that I've had brain zaps of a few different variety since I got involved with these drugs. I have constant tinnitus that seems related too. Some of my symptoms seem a bit like epilepsy. I very much have PTSD, it makes everything more complicated and seems to bleed into all my main problems. I'm not worried because I have been so much worse. I have mostly normalised, even the tinnitus seems to be fading, which I had never hoped too hard for. I know what it's like to have these weird symptoms that don't quite seem to match anybody else's symptoms and it just feeds that doubt about whether you can recover like others. The truth is, everybody kind of feels the same and even if you're experiencing the same thing, you might not describe it the same so you'll never know. It's a lonely thing, welcome to the lonely club  ;).

It gets better. It's best if you believe in your recovery. Be reassured that many have recovered from more troubling symptoms than you. Channel any worries towards taking baby steps to help yourself. You can do it, good luck  :thumbsup:

[77...]

I had/have sxs similar to that and my psychatrist say its seizures. I have done EEG 2 times first time it was abnormal and second was ok. I have dissociative seizures. Dr dp is dissociative disorder. I lose time sometimes feels like I am someone else too ger super dizzy. I have  Very often deja vu several times a day and thats common for DP. Dissociative seizures is non epileptic. Sometimes I can just sit and stare and hear and see stuff but nlt communicate at all. Its super scary.

PTSD is not like that I have it too and brain zaps is very common w/d sx it is like all other describe them.

I had/have sxs similar to that and my psychatrist say its seizures. I have done EEG 2 times first time it was abnormal and second was ok. I have dissociative seizures. Dr dp is dissociative disorder. I lose time sometimes feels like I am someone else too ger super dizzy. I have  Very often deja vu several times a day and thats common for DP. Dissociative seizures is non epileptic. Sometimes I can just sit and stare and hear and see stuff but nlt communicate at all. Its super scary.

PTSD is not like that I have it too and brain zaps is very common w/d sx it is like all other describe them.

Thank you so much for your response--you are 100% right and I think these are actually seizures that I'm experiencing. All the symptoms that you described are exactly what I'm going through. What a scary thing to be dealing with. I really hope this doesn't result in any permanent brain damage. I'm going to schedule a doctor appointment and see what I can find out. I hope you're feeling better!

[77...]

I had/have sxs similar to that and my psychatrist say its seizures. I have done EEG 2 times first time it was abnormal and second was ok. I have dissociative seizures. Dr dp is dissociative disorder. I lose time sometimes feels like I am someone else too ger super dizzy. I have very often deja vu several times a day and thats common for DP. Dissociative seizures is non epileptic. Sometimes I can just sit and stare and hear and see stuff but not communicate at all. Its super scary.

Thank you so much for your response--you are 100% right and I think these are actually seizures that I'm experiencing. All the symptoms that you described are exactly what I'm going through. What a scary thing to be dealing with. I really hope this doesn't result in any permanent brain damage. I'm going to schedule a doctor appointment and see what I can find out. I hope you're feeling better!

I am doing better but not healed I still get this every week/month and  I am soon 38 months off.  But when it does I feel super weird. I vanish as a person. I feel like I am a stranger inside my own body. And often I get this out of body experience too like ehen having DP.  I can also get a loud electric high sound(bang)  in my head and then I know its coming.  After a seizure attack I also get memory loss. I can forget a whole day.  Last time I did EEG I had a episodes like the one I describe but EEG was normal. My doctor said its often like that  dissociative seizures shows normal activity on EEG. The first one was abnormal but I was in a much worse shape that time. And I was totally "gone" then.

Take care  and if you wants to keep me updated what happens to you

//Sun

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ma...]
    • [...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [St...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [...]
    • [mr...]
    • [Lo...]