Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Debate: Is Klonopin withdrawal the absolute worst thing in the world?

[Ju...]

Reading your story brought back memories.  I’ve had severe digestive disease, for 30 years.  I’ve had more than 25 surgeries, gone through opiate withdrawal from Fentanyl, and other prescribed drugs.

Getting off of Klonopin was, by far, the worst things I’ve ever been through. 

As I sit here trying to heal day by day, I have a question to myself, is Klonopin withdrawal the worst thing you can possibly go through in the entire world? I keep coming to the realization that it must be.

I have gone through a lot in my life to say the least, including Xanax withdrawal and valium withdrawal.

I have been shot at, I have been stabbed, I have been homeless with no shelter out in negative temperatures in the snow. I have been forced to suffer out in the summer heat in the Sun all day long everyday while homeless.

I've had to carry heavy backpacks for miles and miles with no water or food day after day. No bed to sleep on, no electricity, no end in sight. Nowhere to rest my feet and not even a legal place to go to bed.

I've been in and out of psychiatric hospitals multiple times, even the ones for the criminally insane. I've been in and out of jails even prolonged stays. I've been to many detox's for multiple things. And still, klonopin withdrawal is the worst. By far.

And then, I have had major surgeries like a broken ankle hanging off backwards by skin. I have herniated discs in my back, I have had back surgeries and I have had organs removed. I have had lots of stitches and I've been repaired by surgeons quite a few times in multiple places.

And I've been through bad marriages, I have taken lots of verbal abuse. I have lost children and gone through bankruptcies and divorce and all kinds of horrible stuff. I've been in and out of homeless shelters and Recovery homes as well.

I have gained and lost friends, multiple times. I've been wrongly accused and turned down for services within the system multiple times. I've been denied human rights even, multiple times.

I have been jumped by gangs, I've been in several fights, many car wrecks and motorcycle wrecks. I have worked many jobs doing hard labor, all kinds of different things. And I've worked really extremely mentally exhausting White Collar jobs as well.

But even to this day, I can't think of one single thing that even compares with klonopin withdrawal. Like even if I had gotten burned alive by fire, which I do have scars from ovens and other hot objects when I was younger, it would not be nearly as bad.

If I had been thrown in acid, it wouldn't be as bad because it would be temporary and I wouldn't have as much mental torture. It would be there, but not on the same level.

I tried to think of all kinds of different scenarios, and I've talked to a lot of veterans in my time and many of them are my friends, and some of them have been through benzo withdrawal as well. And none of us can think of anything that even compares remotely to benzo withdrawal. Not even being a prisoner of war and tortured for years.

And out of all the benzos I have come off of, Klonopin withdrawal is in my opinion at least ten times more severe than withdrawal from Valium and Xanax. I don't wish any of it on my worst enemy. But there is something seriously wrong with Klonopin and never again will I look at that ugly stuff that has no purpose in my opinion.

I don't know why I keep coming to this argument in my own mind, more like a question or debate with in my head. I just don't think there's anything that compares or could even be worse. Anybody else feel the same? And I'm not just being dramatic or venting, it's actually a serious question and topic.

There is no debate in my mind.  Top 5 worse for sure if not top 3.  Maybe even the worst.  I took it every day for 20 years.  Before there is a comment of disagreement made... I’ll only allow comments in opposition from those who have taken Klonopin  every day for 20 years and still disagree.  JustInTime I’ve been through almost as much as you have... and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree.... and then some.  Klonopin has the strongest anti-convulsant properties... which causes me to believe that’s another reason why it’s such a terrible Benzo.  I don’t see how anyone who has taken Klonopin every day for 20 years could, in good conscience, disagree.

Kindly,

j

I am a 20yrs benzo user as prescribed. First 12 yrs on 1mg Xanax and last 8yrs on 1mg Klonopin. No other drugs or alcohol or any other supplements. I am now almost 7 mons off and feel like few things got better and few worse. Now my worse symptoms are  constant fear and DR/DP. I feel unreal or not connected to world or reality and not enjoying time. Feel like just living a life for what ...Not sure if anyone has these type of feelings...Hope it gets better someday.

@ Jozsep - How you feeling , what symptoms you still have? you think with passage of time you improving.

Since it's been eight years and you're getting worse, have you gone to the doctor to rule everything else out?

Was this for me? I am 7 months off from benzo.

JIT, last time I went to see to see a real MD a few years ago she diagnosed me with Memory Impairment, Amnesia, and Stuttering.  She wanted me to get a brain scan and memory testing, but I didn't get it since I have no outpt. insurance.  This damage to my brain and body is from being on the benzo's and then getting off them.  I know my body and brain and am certain it is.  I don't care what anyone says, I believe that these drugs can cause permanent damage.  If I'm not healed in almost 8 years, but getting worse, then I consider it a progressive and possibly permament problem.

I was labeled mentally ill by the hospital and they sent it to the state. And they said I had Amnesia and fibromyalgia and all kinds of stuff. But now I'm finally starting to get a little better at 14 months off of them cold turkey.

I know that there's a lots of people out there who took a long time to heal and some others that have not healed yet even at seven or eight years or whatever, but I do believe they will eventually. I don't think this is permanent for anybody.

But with alcohol on the other hand, I do think that's permanent because it's corrosive. It's a toxin and it corrodes your stomach so I'm sure it corrodes your brain as well. But with benzos, it's synthetic material put into a pill so I'm pretty sure your body flushes it all out and that's that. Some people it lasts longer, so I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with being stuck in fat deposits or little pieces in your brain somehow.

Of course, all we can do is speculate. But I honestly think that benzo is get stuck in your body somehow and it takes a long time to get rid of them whether it's because of them being in your muscle mass or in your fat deposits or whatever else. That's just my opinion though, I don't know.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Le...]
    • [He...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [PP...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [in...]
    • [Su...]
    • [fr...]
    • [Gu...]