Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Long term alprazolam use..need to taper off from 2.5/mg

[Br...]

^what are you considering to be a "low dose"?

i always thought that when you got down lower you needed to reduce the size of your cuts. but im no expert, that's why i'm here  ;D

Mike,

Good question. May I ask if you are just pill splitting to get down to the 0.0625mg listed in your signature block?  Are you just taking a "white" (.25mg) and splitting into quarters?  Does it come out Ok?

Tks!

Hi,

I see that you are already considering using the 0.25mg tablets. You would probably benefit from using them when your dose dips much below 1mg per day. The smaller tablets would also allow you spread the cuts more evenly over day long before you reach 1mg per day. It all depends upon how you feel. It might be idea to obtain a prescription for 0.25mg tablets in preparation, so that you do not have to wait if you feel you need need them at any particular stage.

Hi, again, Brian,

I'm still not really with it. Are you using 1mg tablets and intending to split them into eighths? If so, you should find splitting 0.25mg tablets into quarters far more reliable, easier to divide, and will give you cuts half the size you are proposing with the 1mg tablets.

i always thought that when you got down lower you needed to reduce the size of your cuts. but im no expert, that's why i'm here  ;D

Mike,

Good question. May I ask if you are just pill splitting to get down to the 0.0625mg listed in your signature block?  Are you just taking a "white" (.25mg) and splitting into quarters?  Does it come out Ok?

Tks!

Brian,

yes, thats what i do if the dose requires it. sometimes on a particular dosage you may not need the white pills. say for instance i was taking 1.25 mg. i could go .25 mg X 3 per day, and a .5 mg. but, when i drop down from 1.25 to 1.18 id have to bring in the white pills splitting them into quarters. it works fine. i like the oval pills better than the round ones, seem easier to split to me.

Hi,

I see that you are already considering using the 0.25mg tablets. You would probably benefit from using them when your dose dips much below 1mg per day. The smaller tablets would also allow you spread the cuts more evenly over day long before you reach 1mg per day. It all depends upon how you feel. It might be idea to obtain a prescription for 0.25mg tablets in preparation, so that you do not have to wait if you feel you need need them at any particular stage.

i agree. i originally cut from 1.87 to 1.12 mg cutting .125 per week. when i dropped my dose down from 1.125 to 1 mg, thats where i really hit the wall hard for several days!! this time when i reach 1.12 mg i am going to slow it down. as my sig line denotes, i am also not cutting .125 per week this time, but more like .0625 every 4-6 days, whatever feels good. 

Hi, again, Brian,

I'm still not really with it. Are you using 1mg tablets and intending to split them into eighths? If so, you should find splitting 0.25mg tablets into quarters far more reliable, easier to divide, and will give you cuts half the size you are proposing with the 1mg tablets.

Hi Colin,

Actually, I put a call in to my pdoc to get the 0.25 (white) tablets for that reason in addition to the 1.0mg (blue).  I made up the following for those "foggy" days. :)

Tks again!

0.125= 1/2 White

0.250= 1 White

0.375= 1 1/2 White

0.500= 1/2 Blue

0.625= 1/2 White & 1/2 Blue

0.750= 1 White & 1/2 Blue

0.875= 1 Blue & 1 1/2 White

1.000= 1 Blue

Mike,

Tks!

Brian,

yes, thats what i do if the dose requires it. sometimes on a particular dosage you may not need the white pills. say for instance i was taking 1.25 mg. i could go .25 mg X 3 per day, and a .5 mg. but, when i drop down from 1.25 to 1.18 id have to bring in the white pills splitting them into quarters. it works fine. i like the oval pills better than the round ones, seem easier to split to me.

Mike,

Ok...makes sense to me. I haven't had to deal with the round ones yet. I haven't used an actual pill splitter from say a drug store...do you know if they work better than just breaking them in your hand?

BTW, I saw your other post about hitting a wall for a few days. Sorry to hear that.....it's amazing how what may seem like a small amount of this stuff could make such a difference....good luck and hopefully it will be much smoother 

i use the pill splitters for 1/2 and 1/4 cuts. in my opinion splitters work easier with the oval pills too since there is less "area" to cut through. in most cases (for me) worked better than breaking them with your fingers.

guess it just depends on how talented you are  :laugh:

also, i prefer the splitters without the rubber lined base. you can slide the pill and line it up better using one that has the plastic surface. again, just my opinion.

i use the pill splitters for 1/2 and 1/4 cuts. in my opinion splitters work easier with the oval pills too since there is less "area" to cut through. in most cases (for me) worked better than breaking them with your fingers.

guess it just depends on how talented you are  :laugh:

also, i prefer the splitters without the rubber lined base. you can slide the pill and line it up better using one that has the plastic surface. again, just my opinion.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. That sounds much better than fingers  8)