Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone reinstated then stopped again successfully?

[le...]

Just getting so down. Just wondered if anyone ever reinstated for few months then stopped again successfully . Or whether after 18 months it's too long. I did do a taper off the anti depressants and still feel lousy so scared I might just add to problems. Just can't take much more of this.

I'm having a really terrible day too Leann.  So over it.  :'(

BUT I would not reinstate for love nor money.  People's experiences vary but from what I can gather it's a bit like Russian roulette.  And then I'd only have to go through it again. 

I want benzodiazapines out of my life, couldn't go through this again.

I'm sorry you're feeling bad.  Me too.  I'm supposed to be doing things, but just can't.  Glued to couch. Lots of mental stuff. 

I'm 17 months and if it were me, I wouldn't do it. 

Try hang in leann. 

Dee x

I'm a cautionary tale. I reinstated a bunch of times cause I couldn't take it (though it was mainly because I didn't know what was happening to me and some doctor convinced me to), so I'm still at something I could have put behind me years ago. One thing I can promise you, is that it gets harder every time. You're off, congrats, it hurts, it does, it'll stop and you'll be over it once and for all. Stay away from these drugs, they're nothing but trouble and heartbreak

m

Thanks good to hear from someone who has actually done it. Just get despondent when everyone seems to have recovered quicker than me. Just feel really flat like what's the point anymore think it's probably anti depressant withdrawal kicking in.But sounds like reinstating not the answer anyway.

I, for years had a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia when coming off Valium and then the answer for the Fibromyalgia, Valium., forty years of this.........finally off the Valium after my husband's death in 2015 and still going through wd off and on.

Hi Ieann,

If you look at my signature, you will see I was forced CT back in early December 2019. I was so freaked out that 2 days later I asked my GP to reinstate the zopiclone and I did a quick 6 week taper. Not ideal but it helped...

That said, you are in a different situation: it would be a shame to waste all your efforts towards healing and reinstate... Just hang in there, you will heal.

SG

If by successfully you mean came off the drug because reinstating didn't help and am in withdrawal again, yeah, that would be me

I meant anyone reinstated then withdrew with proper taper and felt improved. There seems very few people still have mental symptoms at 18 months so I can understand Perth's despair as most seem to have started to have windows of hope by now. It was just about tolerable up to about 8 months ago but taking anti depressants sent to me a dark place and just feel going through motions now, mental symptoms can be just as lufe limiting as physical ones. The longer it goes on the more you loose hope.

I didn't reinstate but took a couple of rescue doses.Just jumped off without tapering. It through me back to acute but stabilised.The only thing to do is toughening it out...

[cc...]
I have cold-turkeyed many times, and tapered twice. Now took a few rescue doses that might as well lead to another reinstatement because of adverse reactions to amitriptyline (which I took a few times as a sleep aid) just as I ended my second taper. My reinstatement after the first taper was because of COVID-19. I was very, very lucky that my tapers were fairly mild. Of course, I was not nowhere near 100%, but that was because I was a bit sleep deprived. It's nothing compared to withdrawal reaction I got from huge "rescue" doses of diazepam I took to counter adverse effects of amitriptyline (tremors, convulsions, myclonus). So I would recommend avoiding antidepressants as adjuvant medications in benzo withdrawal at all costs (an antihistaminic hydroxyzine-hidrochloride is a way to go). My second taper was as successful as the first one, if not more so and it was an antidepressant that set me back. But the thing is I was using diazepam which has long half-life and I have not waited long between my reinstatements. I don't know if I would recommend reinstatement after too long. Have you tried flumazenil infusion?

I have cold-turkeyed many times, and tapered twice. Now took a few rescue doses that might as well lead to another reinstatement because of adverse reactions to amitriptyline (which I took a few times as a sleep aid) just as I ended my second taper. My reinstatement after the first taper is because of COVID-19. I was very, very lucky that my tapers were fairly mild. Of course, I was not nowhere near 100% but was almost normal. It's nothing compared to withdrawal reaction I got from huge "rescue" doses of diazepam I took to counter adverse effects of amitriptyline. So I would recommend avoiding antidepressants as adjuvant medications in benzo withdrawal at all costs (an antihistaminic hydroxyzine-hidrochloride is a way to go). My second taper was as successful as the first one, if not more so and it was an antidepressant that set me back. But the thing is I was using diazepam which has long half-life and I have not waited long between my reinstatements.

Amitriptyline messed me up too.It led to the rescue doses. It is the worst AD.

[cc...]

I think people on SurvivingAntidepressants are right and the info in Ashton Manual is outdated. Antipsychotics are worse than antidepressants are worse than benzos & z-drugs. Also she doesn't talk about treatment of post-taper withdrawal symptoms via things such as flumazenil infusions, or Xenon inhalations (which truth be told are fairly modern and not yet widely available treatments).

I think people on SurvivingAntidepressants are right and the info in Ashton Manual is outdated. Antipsychotics are worse than antidepressants are worse than benzos & z-drugs. Also she doesn't talk about treatment of post-taper withdrawal symptoms via things such as flumazenil infusions, or Xenon inhalations (which truth be told are fairly modern and not yet widely available treatments).

Yes, the Ashton Manual was written some time ago, however, there is little new literature that gives such good information about benzos, tapering and withdrawal. 

I think it is a stretch to say that antidepressants and antipsychotics are worse than benzos. Many people, including myself, are very sensitive to medications. More than a few AD's were given to me to try and I had some strong side effects, some of them very strong and very rare. However, benzo withdrawal was far worse than anything I dealt with in terms of adjunct drugs.

As I mentioned in your introduction thread, there are very mixed reports from people who have tried flumazenil.  I suggested you try a search and read some of people's experience with this treatment. 

As far as xenon inhalation therapy, I don't see any studies where it has been used to treat benzo withdrawal symptoms.  I think if there was a 'magic bullet', we would have heard something by now. Here is the information I found:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7264006/

pianogirl

Thanks for the responses seems best not to take anything else, think anti depressants were big mistake now realising too late. In some ways withdrawal from them been worse, but think that's only because I'still in zopiclone withdrawal and felt so awful while taking them, whereas felt fine on the zopiclone. I will look on surviving anti depressants , the help line I contacted did advise against taking them. Just finding the fact suddenly get hit with these awful really black days so hard

[cc...]

Yes, the Ashton Manual was written some time ago, however, there is little new literature that gives such good information about benzos, tapering and withdrawal. 

I think it is a stretch to say that antidepressants and antipsychotics are worse than benzos. Many people, including myself, are very sensitive to medications. More than a few AD's were given to me to try and I had some strong side effects, some of them very strong and very rare. However, benzo withdrawal was far worse than anything I dealt with in terms of adjunct drugs.

As I mentioned in your introduction thread, there are very mixed reports from people who have tried flumazenil.  I suggested you try a search and read some of people's experience with this treatment. 

As far as xenon inhalation therapy, I don't see any studies where it has been used to treat benzo withdrawal symptoms.  I think if there was a 'magic bullet', we would have heard something by now. Here is the information I found:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7264006/

pianogirl

Yes, I agree, but am still salty about the whole amitriptyline thing, which was my most major setback ever.

I personally didn't have any withdrawal symptoms from antidepressants or antipsychotics, but I used them only for a short time. People who've been on them and benzos for decades say they're worse than benzos.

I agree that modern experimental methods are untested, but they cannot begin to stand a test of time, or get corrected if they are not utilized.

I've got friends  who stopped anti depressants no problem, think it's if they are used when  you are already in withdrawal from something else  is when they can be problematic. I was only on them a short time but side effects where awful and withdrawal has left me feeling really depressed some days. Just hoping as it's been 7 weeks since stopping will see some relief soon. In hindsight the GP should never have prescribed them knowing I was in zopiclone withdrawal seems case of anything get you out the door.

I went very deep into finding out "what the hell happened to me?" when I realised I was dependant on diazepam after the sertraline withdrawals. Even developed a rudimentary understanding of neuropharmacology. I think benzo withdrawal is a more intense experience on average but antidepressant withdrawal is a gloomier experience. Crying for no reason, not being able to get out of bed, zero energy. Not saying these can't be benzo withdrawal symptoms too (anything can be, it seems!) just that they're more prevalent in antidepressant withdrawal. Two different flavours of hell.

In terms of what they do to the CNS, they both seem to cause neuroadaptations after a period of a few weeks up to a few months. Some people don't experience severe consequences as a result but obviously some do. Recovery requires time to revert back to homeostasis and normal functioning without drugs. It seems to take a similar amount of time for both which is to say that it varies a lot between no time at all (lucky! :tickedoff:) up to a few years. Recovery is typically non-linear in both cases. They are remarkably similar in these respects.

I'd add that if you have a hard time with one class of medication, you're more likely to have a problem with another class than the average person. I can't prove that but it seems to ring true from what I read. It could be that some people are naturally more sensitive to the effects of psychoactive substances and it could also be that the CNS is weakened by previous withdrawal leaving you more susceptible to symptoms.

[73...]

I reinstated once and it's been 2 months since I jumped. Both tapers took me about a year each  to complete with three months off in between. I didn't feel ok during those months before reinstatment and  I started to chase for supplements to get better. It was a big mistake. I went into the world of vitamins and other stuff that I never checked if I need or not. I noticed this happens to a lot of us here. We get desperate and sometimes feeling so bad that the only solution is to get something trying not to go back to the drugs that cause all the problem. Finally, we get a lot of stuff that don't do anything for us and in some cases doing more harm than good.

I reinstated at 1 mg of K due to an unbearable situation after taking the supplement (L Theanine). Took me two weeks to stabilize. I begun the taper again immediately cutting 25% in the first two weeks and then a long year taper. I feel better than when I had my first taper. Dizziness was the main issue then. 

Reinstatement is a bad word in the benzo world. Dr Ashton says that is stupid to go back to the drug after quit but also gives hope compare the situation the same as smokers trying to quit. The influence and horrible stories on benzo sites makes us obsessed with the drug and that alone has it's bad consequences.

I still think that reinstatement is not the end of the world. I take it as part of a process to healing.

Of course I wouldn't encourage to do it . I would wait as much as could and try all possible ways to avoid it.

Mice

Does seem there is no guarantee reinstatement will work and general opinion seems think it's bad idea. Just in dark place at moment whether it's just phase who knows haven't had any Windows so can't even say it's a wave. Gone right off food had breakfast today that's it can't stomach anything else. Just feel I'll never improve.

[cc...]

Does seem there is no guarantee reinstatement will work and general opinion seems think it's bad idea. Just in dark place at moment whether it's just phase who knows haven't had any Windows so can't even say it's a wave. Gone right off food had breakfast today that's it can't stomach anything else. Just feel I'll never improve.

Yeah, I've cold-turkeyed many times, and tapered twice. Was preparing for reinstatement yet again and a third taper after major setback but decided against it. "Quit while you are ahead" as they say. Reinstatements are always a gamble. I've been lucky so far, but may not be the next time. But sometimes reinstatement is the answer. It is a big problem, because it's very hard to find an MD that is expert on benzos and so very hard to find good advice on the topic. People on forums will share their own experiences, rather than giving advice for you. Some have fried their brain with reinstatement. Others are success stories.

Think I'll probably stay as I am too scared to take the chance. Thought anti depressants would help with the intrusive thoughts just made them whole lot worse. Doesn't help sweltering here at the moment so sleep difficult which lowers my mood even more!

[cc...]
Well, even Prof. Ashton who is otherwise adamantly against updosing and reinstatement says that reinstatement is OK if patient has absolutely no quality of life (what's there to lose?).

Thought general advice was not to reinstate. Have got a packet left but I couldn't do it for long as GP I saw when was thinking about now retired and they won't give you zopiclone in UK for more than couple weeks  so wouldn't be able to do long taper as recommended. Also had read somewhere it's only recommended if you haven't been off them very long. I definitely was addicted to them got cravings if I didn't take one. They have undoubtedly ruined my life, but reading what others have said thinking reinstating probably not good idea.

The more times you get on the merry go wrong, the harder it is to come off. You're off. You're ahead, no matter how it feels. There's absolutely no way to predict how you will respond to another withdrawal, might be better, might be worse. Russian roulette. Honestly, get it over with now. You have no idea how much longer it's going to take either. Just because someone else had a hard time for what seems like a long time, doesn't mean your symptoms won't stat to abate today, or tomorrow. Or just lift. THat's not an urban myth. It really does happen. Yeah, quit while you're ahead, cause you are, even if it feels like you're behind

m

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [fa...]
    • [...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Sc...]
    • [...]
    • [Cw...]
    • [es...]
    • [Ki...]
    • [ge...]