Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can anything help OCD type symptoms and intrusive thoughts desperate.

[le...]

[79...]

Talk therapy (not CBT) helped me immensely with my loony OCD thoughts during my taper. It might help you, too. Yeah, therapists' offices are closed but they are holding telehealth sessions. Mine is. I bet if you phoned around you could find someone.

Just an idea.

Katz

How can therapy help this for people? I went to 3 different ones and it does absolutely nothing to stop the thoughts. It's a result of physical change in the brain from these terrible drugs. I don't get how people can walk out of a therapists office and feel better from this symptom. It doesn't just magically disappear after a 45min session of talk. I question whether people actually understand this symptom or whether their issues are just anxiety.

Shamo3 - Therapy takes time, effort, and a genuine willingness to find solutions.  Unlike a pill, it's not a quick fix.  But unlike a pill, it offers a solution.  An individual might have a breakthrough in the first session; it took me about half a year.

Leann - I'm sorry that the path I've shared has caused you pain.  I hope you find one that works for you.

Thanks I did see a psychotherapist just before lockdown, who was really helpful, got a really toxic mother never really dealt wth possibly zop stopped me dealing with that and now bit like Pandora's box. But really don't think having a positive attitude is going speed up recovery. Unless you have a rubbish diet which I don't also don't think diet will make much difference. If you get the right therapist really think it can help but CBT is useless in this case as the brain needs repair it'self. If you had pre existing OCD then yes it's good but won't help if it's caused by withdrawal. Also everyone symptoms are different which does affect how you can cope, also if you are allowed to taper makes big difference being made go cold turkey after 12 years i would challenge anyone to feel positive.

[85...]
It all depends on how severe the symptoms are.  I can't tell you how many times people have said they had my symptoms and then I look back on their posts and there is 0 mention of the symptoms.  If you had them bad like I do and a few others on here you would know. 

You aren't only one with severe symptoms been nearly 18 months with no windows. At times have felt like ending it all. So yes I do know , there are lot of people suffering you aren't only one by any means just because we don't necessarily list everything doesn't mean we aren't in a bad place.

[85...]

You aren't only one with severe symptoms been nearly 18 months with no windows. At times have felt like ending it all. So yes I do know , there are lot of people suffering you aren't only one by any means just because we don't necessarily list everything doesn't mean we aren't in a bad place.

I'm not talking about you  Leann at all. Re-readingng my post now makes it sound like that. I'm talking about certain people who comment on my posts. Sorry if it came off wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk therapy (not CBT) helped me immensely with my loony OCD thoughts during my taper. It might help you, too. Yeah, therapists' offices are closed but they are holding telehealth sessions. Mine is. I bet if you phoned around you could find someone.

Just an idea.

Katz

How can therapy help this for people? I went to 3 different ones and it does absolutely nothing to stop the thoughts. It's a result of physical change in the brain from these terrible drugs. I don't get how people can walk out of a therapists office and feel better from this symptom. It doesn't just magically disappear after a 45min session of talk. I question whether people actually understand this symptom or whether their issues are just anxiety.

Shamo3 - Therapy takes time, effort, and a genuine willingness to find solutions.  Unlike a pill, it's not a quick fix.  But unlike a pill, it offers a solution.  An individual might have a breakthrough in the first session; it took me about half a year.

Leann - I'm sorry that the path I've shared has caused you pain.  I hope you find one that works for you.

Bad- i still have to kindly diagree with you on this one. Having a breakthrough with therapy still can't lead to the fixing of a symptom that was caused by benzo withdrawal. The only thing that can fix that is the chemicals in our brain re balancing.

When I was tapering and making cuts I would go from hell with raging insane ocd thoughts to suddenly clear and awesome when my brain levelled out again after 2 or 3 weeks. And it would happen in seconds all of a sudden.

Totally agree therapy won't help. Think if you had OCD type symptoms before the benzo's, possibly CBT type therapy may help as it was pre existing condition. But when it's chemical damage caused by the drugs does absolutely nothing.  Anti depressants unfortunately gave me extra symptoms. Seems time is the only thing that will ease it. I did see a psychotherapist when had suicidal thoughts helped bit with that but CBT was useless.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [...]
    • [Wi...]
    • [Ti...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [di...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [Le...]
    • [...]
    • [jo...]