Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium 3 times a day. How long for it not to make you sleepy?

[Re...]

Hey, I am on V 3 times a day now. I am so sleepy and no energy. How long does it take for my body to not be so sleepy or does this happen when you start tapering down. I do feel so much better mentally on Valium but I’m just so tired and no motivation.

Redbird Flies

It took about two weeks after I crossed over from Ativan to stop feeling so sluggish. I was literally falling over my feet. But that gradually passed. After I felt more like a human being, I started my taper.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Is there a specific reason you are dosing 3 times a day, apart from that is what you have always done with your benzo? Only when things were particularly bad did I deviate from taking more than one dose. Funnily enough, that was for sleeping. I found that I could sometimes get more sleep on a night by taking half my dose at bedtime and the other half when I woke up in the night.

The Ashton manual recommends dosing diazepam no more than twice a day and that once a day is usually good enough to keep blood levels steady. One benefit to this is that your life revolves less around taking pills which is an overlooked part of recovery. Another benefit for you could be that if you took the whole dose in the evening, the sedation will occur as you are sleeping, leaving you more alert in the daytime.

I was taking k 3 times a day and he switched me over one at a time.I seen in Ashton Manual people take it 2 times a day.This is my 4th day on 3 a day . I talk to my Doc the 20 th so I feel he is going to taper one of the doses.

It was more important to take K three times a day to keep blood levels constant. That shouldn't be a problem with diazepam, which is a big reason for the switch. If you wouldn't be comfortable adjusting your schedule without first speaking to your doctor, I can understand that. If it's going to make you anxious then it's not a good idea. That said, perhaps I can help you to be a little more comfortable with the idea.

From the Ashton Manual: https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm

"Diazepam is very slowly eliminated and needs only, at most, twice daily administration to achieve smooth blood concentrations. If you are taking benzodiazepines three or four times a day it is advisable to space out your dosage to twice daily once you are on diazepam. The less often you take tablets the less your day will revolve around your medication."

It doesn't make any difference whether you're tapering from one of three doses, one of two doses or from just a single dose. It's all the same and you changing your dosing schedule is not going to mess up your doctor's plans. What matters is how much you are taking per day. On reflection, I think what I'd do in your situation is take the K in the daytime and the diazepam in the evening. There is really no good reason to take diazepam throughout the day if it is causing such heavy sedation.

I am off the K now. I’m just taking V. I was concerned if I didn’t take it at same time each day my brain would get confused and I would have bad withdrawals because it was used to the same time each day and would keep it level in my system.That is why I wrote on one post if it was normal to take it 3 times a day because I know the Ashton has 2 times. My Dr. is very up to date with the Ashton and BB. He was the one that told me about it and referred me to it.