Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Introduction

[Sh...]

Interesting. I'm going to stop taking my vitamin supplements for the rest of the withdrawal. I have a feeling they might have been causing that pain in my chest.

One last question: are "alcohol free" beers safe? I understand they contain a very small amount of alcohol, like around 0.05%, which I figure is an amount low it can barely touch my GABA receptors at all.

I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but I'm starting to miss the taste. 4x330ml only equates to 0.1 ABV, and I've managed to avoid withdrawal symptoms from single 2.0 ABV beers.

I think you should look at a risk cs benefits scenario.  Yes, there is a small amount of alcohol in non alcoholic beer but in the end, what are you looking for? Do you want to make this process as easy as possible on your nervous system? Do you want to recover and live without benzos in the future? These questions are yours to answer.

PG

I think I'm going to experiment with non-alcoholic beer. I understand it's going to have a small impact on my nervous system but I think I can deal with it. Again, if withdrawals seem to start getting worse I'll stop drinking those as well.

Your username may be ShortTermAddict but your words are those of a long term one.  I understand you because I've been where you are.  I tried to manage my addiction to alcohol, I failed and finally had to quit.  I tried to manage my addiction to Klonopin, I failed and had to quit, addicts can't manage substances, they manage us. 

There is no easy way out of benzo dependence, no shortcuts and no relief until you stop the drug and recover from the damage it has inflicted on your body and your life.  I don't typically speak to other members in this manner but I recognize you and felt I could talk straight to you.

You're welcome here as is everyone and if you truly want to do the work required to be free from these drugs and listen to the advice from those who have guided thousands of members through this process we'll help you every step of the way. 

I was only abusing Valium for a month, sometimes just a couple a day, but when a close friend suggested I should start replacing the valiums by balancing out them out with a couple beers instead I stupidly figured that sounded like a great idea and instead it got me thrown into the deep end.

My hope that I can make it through this safely is that my only symptom is physical anxiety, but I understand there are no shortcuts with benzo dependence.

Funnily enough it took a hook-up where the first words she said were "Are you fucked up on something?" to make me realize my usage was not okay.  :-X

Once my real valium arrives I'll finally be able to determine my dosage and taper plan. For now I just pop the streeties when I feel like I can't go about normal life.

Based on some cursory research, I think what I was sold is really Etizolam. I have to redose throughout the day and wake up in the middle of the night on these pills. I'm going to assume these are around 1mg each.

What would be a good starting taper once I finally get my real Valium? Online calculators tell me 1mg of Etiz compares to 10mg Valium.

I'm sure it's disconcerting to not know exactly what you've been taking, hopefully your legitimate supply will arrive soon and you can get on a healthy path.  If you'll start a thread on the Planning your taper (Taper Plans) board someone will come along to provide guidance.

I'm going to post this here as I can't find an appropriate forum and expect the fastest response here, but my doctor is planning on prescribing Zopiclone for my insomnia. I am also getting some Remeron tablets once my ECG results return, which usually knock me out good  :sick:

UPDATE: According to http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/Documents/582/Guide_Hypnotics%20%26%20Anxiolytics%20Practice%20Guide_version02.pdf, Zopiclone is equivalent to 26mg of valium, so I'm not going to take them.

I'm going to post this here as I can't find an appropriate forum and expect the fastest response here, but my doctor is planning on prescribing Zopiclone for my insomnia. I am also getting some Remeron tablets once my ECG results return, which usually knock me out good  :sick:

UPDATE: According to http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/Documents/582/Guide_Hypnotics%20%26%20Anxiolytics%20Practice%20Guide_version02.pdf, Zopiclone is equivalent to 26mg of valium, so I'm not going to take them.

I'm glad you have decided not to take zopiclone.  This is a Z drug and targets the same receptors as benzos. Zoplicone can cause dependency and will be another drug that needs tapering. Although you mention your usage was relatively short, because of the history of abuse in terms of large doses, if it were me, I'd stay far away from these types of drugs.

Zopiclone can cause dependency and will be another drug that needs tapering.

Would that be separately from the benzos or combined?

I've done some more research and the Ashton Manual says 10mg Zopiclone is only equivalent to 15mg valium, and I've been prescribed 7.5mg which would make it a much better drug to get to sleep than what I am doing right now. He's also only prescribed them short term - I only have 14 tablets which I'm assuming won't be long enough to start addiction, and my valium should have arrived by then to let me sleep better.

If I'm being an idiot here tell me straightforward. Will the Zopi even get me to sleep considering my benzo usage?

Zopiclone can cause dependency and will be another drug that needs tapering.

Would that be separately from the benzos or combined?

I've done some more research and the Ashton Manual says 10mg Zopiclone is only equivalent to 15mg valium, and I've been prescribed 7.5mg which would make it a much better drug to get to sleep than what I am doing right now. He's also only prescribed them short term - I only have 14 tablets which I'm assuming won't be long enough to start addiction, and my valium should have arrived by then to let me sleep better.

If I'm being an idiot here tell me straightforward. Will the Zopi even get me to sleep considering my benzo usage?

No one can say that but I think you need to realize that sleep might be difficult for a while. Benzos disrupt normal REM sleep patterns and it can take a while for it to normalize.  You might have to live with some insomnia problems for a while and develop good sleep hygiene.  Adding more drugs is counter to your future health, IMO.

I think I will use the Zopiclone just for tonight as it has been prescribed, since I desperately need real some real sleep and my taper has been going great (5pm and I've only taken 20 etizolam!) and once this bloody valium turns up I shouldn't need them anymore.

Considering a 1st class package took 4 days to deliver I can only pray they turn up tomorrow.

UPDATE: I went down to 20 etizolam + 1 Zopiclone today! Sticking to a schedule and reframing your mindset seems to be key to kicking this shit. Given my short term use I might go cold turkey at 10mg and take 5mg if I get really bad symptoms.

The zopiclone made me feel floaty and happy but I still just woke up 3-4 hours later. I'm guessing this is because anxiety kicking me out of sleep as all the the etizolam in my blood is gone. I woke up today with a strong panic attack, but 5 pills and lots of CBD made it better, and I feel pretty fine right now.

I'm going to try and stay on this dose for a couple of days then switch to valium for the rest of the taper.

Once again, thank you all for your advice.