Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Complete Stimulus CARES bill in US

[Be...]

What an amazing country we live in. No one dragged off for their videos like in Communist China. What a kind and caring nation we are...like no other on the planet. Staying grateful in the face of this. Hang in there, this, too, shall pass.

Last night I applied for an SBA loan that should also be eligible for a $10,000 grant that does not have to be repaid. No idea how this is all going to shake out. I still have some income since the sales end of my business is online, but I am no longer able to source products like I used to due to the local stores being closed so who knows what kind of long term impact this is going to have on my business. A $10k grant and maybe even a low interest loan on top of that would go a long way towards keeping me afloat while this whole thing passes.

I am also going to apply for unemployment benefits due to my rideshare income having dried up. Since I still have some business income I'm not sure how much I will qualify for but I have lost $1000-$1200 per month in rideshare income that I was counting on so hopefully I will be eligible for something.

FG, have you explored home delivery to take the place of sourcing/resale? Everywhere I look I’m seeing need for this.

FG, have you explored home delivery to take the place of sourcing/resale? Everywhere I look I’m seeing need for this.

I could turn on uber eats and I did apply for grubhub (which apparently isn't accepting new drivers in this area at this point) but given the circumstances I think it's better for me to avoid too much exposure to the public for awhile.

Initially I wasn't too worried about contracting the virus but the reality is that I have obstructive sleep apnea and I have had lung issues in the past including some really nasty bouts of chronic bronchitis so I think I fall pretty solidly in the high risk category.

I am all about staying employed vs collecting a government check but it just doesn't make much sense for me to expose myself to that risk if I can avoid it.

My eBay and Etsy sales are noticeably down but they are a means of getting rid of extra ‘stuff’ from downsizing rather than needed income so it doesn’t impact finances.

My eBay and Etsy sales are noticeably down but they are a means of getting rid of extra ‘stuff’ from downsizing rather than needed income so it doesn’t impact finances.

Unfortunately in my case I need every penny just to stay afloat.

I took on some new debt last year to the tune of about an extra $600 per month when I built my office. Its one of those things where I knew I would have to struggle for a few years to come out in a much better position in the end. At the time I knew it would be tough to keep up the payments, but between strong business sales and the extra income from driving I was managing to hold it together. A month ago I felt like I was finally getting some breathing room financially, now everything is up in the air.

President just said that they expect the death rate to peak in about 2 weeks. They have extended the coronavirus policies until the end of April. Maybe things will start to loosen up in another month but I wouldn't count on it. Seems like this is going to cause problems for quite some time.

The streamlined SBA disaster loan application is now up on their website, and there is a check box if you want to be considered for the $10,000 advance that does not need to be repaid. It's basically a grant. You put in your bank information and they are required to send you the $10k within 3 days, even if your loan isn't approved. Anyone who has a small business should get on this NOW. The funds are limited and it's a first come, first served thing. I have been refreshing the page every hour of so all day long and it seems like it just went up a couple of hours ago. These funds are going to be gone very quickly.

I’m glad the stay-at-home has been extended through April. It will pay off in lives. My daughter is a nurse, as is my niece, stepdaughter and sister-in-law.

I’m glad the stay-at-home has been extended through April. It will pay off in lives. My daughter is a nurse, as is my niece, stepdaughter and sister-in-law.

At this point I think a case could be made for a complete shutdown of the entire country, minus essential services. If that's what it would take to get things going again I would rather see that than the "well, lets try to talk people into doing the right thing and see what happens in 30 days" kind of deal they seem to be doing now.

As of now in my area all restaurants and bars and such are closed except for drive thru sales, many retail stores are closed and many others have reduced hours. They have also closed the beach ramps and boat ramps, but we don't have any kind of a curfew or mandatory stay at home order like they do in some areas. Maybe it just isn't necessary in some areas, but at this point I would rather see them take extreme measures if it means getting through this quickly rather than dragging it on.

The entire bill I posted is 880 pages, but you can look in the Table of Contents to find the information you need and it's straight from the "horse's mouth," as they say, then you won't need to rely on incomplete or incorrect new coverage of information.  One lawyer on the new said that in order to get the $1200 you needed to have filed your previous years tax returns, but that wasn't correct.  I got the correct info. listening to Senator Lindsay Graham and checking the bill.

For the record, the SBA loan advance is UP TO $10k.

I doubt that I will be getting the full amount. Anything will help at this point though.

At this point I think a case could be made for a complete shutdown of the entire country, minus essential services. If that's what it would take to get things going again I would rather see that than the "well, lets try to talk people into doing the right thing and see what happens in 30 days" kind of deal they seem to be doing now.

As of now in my area all restaurants and bars and such are closed except for drive thru sales, many retail stores are closed and many others have reduced hours. They have also closed the beach ramps and boat ramps, but we don't have any kind of a curfew or mandatory stay at home order like they do in some areas. Maybe it just isn't necessary in some areas, but at this point I would rather see them take extreme measures if it means getting through this quickly rather than dragging it on.

100% agree. If all states don’t do it at the same time it’s far less effective. Our governor got right on it and California is keeping a better lid on it than most states.  Florida is going to blow up, I’m afraid. And Mississippi.

100% agree. If all states don’t do it at the same time it’s far less effective. Our governor got right on it and California is keeping a better lid on it than most states.  Florida is going to blow up, I’m afraid. And Mississippi.

I also agree. I was joking on here about it on a ‘Humor Maybe’ thread but that was when I had no idea what was happening, not that I do now either. Probably why I had had something to do with how mad panic doesn’t help anything, but I hadn’t drawn any personal conclusion at that point.

Clearly serious and extreme measures are called for. (Not that I think much of my own opinion these days.)

Yes.

Since late Jan and through Feb, I had been watching carefully what was going on in China. Because, unlike our clueless president, I understood the danger and I understood that the "containment" strategy would at best delay the virus from reaching here, but it couldn't possibly stop it due to multiple "bugs" in its implementation.

It was a little hard to get news out of China, but I started following the YouTube vlog of someone out of Hong Kong who had good China sources. He is still good to watch for a more global perspective on what it going on. His vlog is here https://youtu.be/V0_WTt15tU4 (that was yesterday's broadcast; he broadcasts daily at around 11 Hong Kong time which is about 11pm east coast US time). The US could learn from other countries e.g. Hong Kong and South Korea which have been successful at controlling the virus. But anyway, China is of special interest because they got it first, and because they are so big. Initially they did a bad job by covering it up and denying it, but once they realized the extent of the problem, they did control it (better than the US is doing so far), which is no small feat. One thing I wondered, watching their actions, is why did they *not* do a nation-wide lockdown. Instead they did rolling regional lockdowns according to where the virus was spreading. The regional things seem to have worked. I think the problem with nationwide shutdown, for them, was this: they were trying to balance keeping the economy going vs controlling the virus. By "keeping the economy going" I don't mean propping up the stock market, I mean keeping the lights on and ensuring enough goods get made and transported to meet basic needs. A problem with big complex economies is that (unlike computer systems) there is no boot-up procedure once you've shut it all down. They might also have been worried about the sudden warming that would happen if they shut down everything at once, due to the removal of the aerosol masking effect (pollution reflecting sunlight) without which we'd see an additional 2 degrees C of warming due to current CO2 levels.  Anyway, they didn't shut it all down at once for whatever reason, and they seem to have suceeded in controlling the virus. I don't know what the right answer is for the U.S. which is of course different in many ways from China. Maybe a nationwide shutdown is in order, as you suggest. Just throwing out some food for thought.