Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Klonopin tapering--new here--scared

[Th...]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Th...]

• [el...]

• [si...]

• [ch...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope someone out there will be able to give Theresa some good advise. I was on Klonopin .5 once a day for only 9 weeks and experienced horrid w/d when cutting 50%. I slowed it down after that but my body was already in shock from the first cut and the rest were hard as well. I got no help from my doc. When having problems at .25 he said that I wasn't even on a therapeutic dose and told me to "just stop". That was when I got rid of him and decided to seek out a psychiatrist to help with the taper. I wish I had found you guys instead.

But I'm done and I survived and life just keeps getting better and better. Maintaining angst over the past doesn't help with the healing.

But let's do our best to help Theresa avoid the unnecessary effects of w/d. I'm glad she found BB before she began her taper. She is so blessed.

chick

Klonopin isn't my specialty but what I'd do is cut one of my doses 50% for a week and see how I tolerated that. If there were no problems, drop another dose 50% for a week and see how I was doing. If still feeling tolerable, then I'd cut the third dose 50% and hold for a week. If all was okay, then I'd keep reducing that way-- cut my first 50% dose in half for a week and so forth and so on.

If I started feeling too awful, then I'd slow the cuts down to every two weeks. And if I still felt awful, then I'd start titrating until I was off. But that's just me.

rufus

Theresa,

It's hard to know how the cuts will affect you, but I'd start with smaller rather than larger cuts. You can always increase the percentage of the cut if you feel your body is tolerating it well. Klonopin is tough (this is not to scare you) and I would not cut .25 mg in one go.

Take care.

Tanya

Maybe I should try cutting one of the 3 doses daily by 50% (4:00 pm) for a week or two, see how that goes, then 1/2 of a second daily dose (12:00 am) for a week or two, and then 1/2 of third dose (8:00 am) for a week or two, then 1/2 again of (4:00 pm) for a week or two and so on?

That sounds ok. The best thing is to start the taper, and then you can adjust it according to how you feel. It you have any type of sleep difficulty, you may want to reverse the order of your cuts, meaning start your taper cutting the morning dose first, then the midday, then afternoon. A rule of thumb is to cut first the dose that is the least troublesome time for you.

Eljay said she read it years ago and learned the breathing techniques there. I ordered it on Amazon, it was only $6.99. It was highly rated there although it is an old book. Talk to you soon with my reading and progress. Thanks for all your support.

Eljay said she read it years ago and learned the breathing techniques there.

Actually, I think I may have been wrong about that. I just looked and couldn't find anything. But she does have other good relaxation techniques. But the breathing one, is easy. Take an in breathe counting slowly to 4. Then hold for 4, and release for 8 counts. Relax for 4, then repeat. Start with 3 or 4 reps, but over time build up to 10 reps.

this will literally change your brain chemistry and turn off anxiety and panic, and turn on relaxation chemicals.

Theresa,

Sorry I don't know how to forward from the PM. So, I'm just going to post your question for you.

Theresa needs counsel. I hope someone has some good input for her.

Go back and read Theresa's first post. She is currently tapering off Zoloft and is talking about beginning her taper off Klonopin immediately after taking her last dose.

So the question is: How much time should she allow before starting the klonopin taper once she has finished with the Zoloft?

I hope you get some good advise Theresa. Remember the more information you have going in to this the better off you will be. Even if it means going slower than you may want at first.

chick

chick well done.

ok theresa your amounts are too much for me to comprehend - cause it is not my forte - but if you have finished one drug and feel ready to start tapering another - go ahead - i don't see any problem.

now regarding counseling - cognitive (from a good therapists) seems to be the popular thing - well for me- i have done other counseling and it was just too abstract.  be careful they do not try to put you on another drug - lots of times what we need is coping strategies - not drugs.

OK, well, maybe I didn't word that well. I just meant she need counsel regarding her question about when to begin the taper from klonopin since she was just finishing her taper from zoloft.

She had asked my advise in a PM and I didn't know what to tell her. All I knew was that I had done the reverse. Tapered off klonopin and then the wellbutrin and I waited a full month in between. I wasn't sure if it made any difference the other way around.

Sorry, Theresa.

I think if those stupid er drs would have just given me my ativan shot and sent me off with just a couple of xanex to get through my rough patch until I got back from OH after two mos. there and back with my family in OK,  I don't think I'd be here now. Thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Theresa,

Sorry I don't know how to forward from the PM. So, I'm just going to post your question for you.

Theresa needs counsel. I hope someone has some good input for her.

Go back and read Theresa's first post. She is currently tapering off Zoloft and is talking about beginning her taper off Klonopin immediately after taking her last dose.

So the question is: How much time should she allow before starting the klonopin taper once she has finished with the Zoloft?

I hope you get some good advise Theresa. Remember the more information you have going in to this the better off you will be. Even if it means going slower than you may want at first.

chick

Hi, Thanks Chick, I did advise her awhile back to wait until she is done with her zoloft taper to start the klono taper.

Theresa, go ahead and start that K taper anytime when you  are done with zoloft, if you are feeling fairly stable. Remember, if the cuts feel too large, think about reducing the cut amount, if your doc will give you enough to taper with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Just an update on my progress. I have been off Zoloft since last Wednesday. Started my klonopin taping yesterday (currently was taking .50 3x/day for 8 weeks). I reduced my afternoon dosage by half (which is 1.50/day to 1.25/day). Will stay on that until I see how I do, then reduce my morning dosage by half. Am doing okay so far, feeling tired most of the time and feel like I'm constantly hungry, a little weak and having brain fog. Does this sound normal for tapering w/d?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Thanks for the heads up! Am feeling better so far today, will continue to cut afternoon dose for atleast a week b/4 cutting morning dose.