Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Psychology of Coronavirus outbreak: From fear to preparation

[ho...]

Behind the Coronavirus War of Words-

Have you noticed many times when someone posts factual data on social media concerning the virus, they are met by ridicule or subjected to often repeated but untrue statements? Why would anyone fight back if someone tried to warn them of potential trouble?  :tickedoff:

("It's just the flu" debunked by Dr. Fauci- https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top-federal-health-official-says-coronavirus-outbreak-is-going-to-get-worse-in-the-us.html)

I found myself struggling with all the uncertainty about the virus, and questioning if I was prepared. Also feeling unable to reach out to those family or friends who seemed to be still in the denial phase that this was NOT a problem. For us, there's another player on the field. Withdrawal seems to magnify fears about minor or even fictional threats or scenarios. Hard enough to wrangle sometimes without this stupid virus.

There's a name for what people experience when faced with an unexpected crisis...Adjustment Reaction. It's a perfectly natural thing to be uncertain. It protects us from harm like pulling your finger off a hot object. The article below by Peter Sandman explains the different steps people go through and how to know if you truly are "over-reacting."  Just like the phases of grief, most people are able to work through these in a healthy way.                http://www.psandman.com/col/teachable.htm

Phases:

1) You pause.

2) You become hyper-vigilant

3) You personalize the risk

4) You take precautions

Learned about it on Chris Martenson's Peak Prosperity update  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogf6Hru2trE. Go to 11:00

The point is that the virus, like watching the 9/11 Twin Towers event, will rock everyone's world for a while, even if not directly involved. This seems like a more personal threat, and it's invisible.  That makes it more ominous. Natural and actually healthy to have a fleeting moment of "Oh Shirt!" (Good Place), but then, you settle down and begin to work the problem. This happens at different speeds for different folks.

No one can be educated out of it as this is an EMOTIONAL response. In fact, you all know who you can talk to, and who you need to leave alone. They can only "hear it" from their safe person. It just takes time.

I'm posting this as it helped me to not only understand the reactions of others, but to give myself a little grace.  It will be tough, but we'll get through it. Stop the spread. #Flatten the curve  :thumbsup:

Behind the Coronavirus War of Words-

Have you noticed many times when someone posts factual data on social media concerning the virus, they are met by ridicule or subjected to often repeated but untrue statements? Why would anyone fight back if someone tried to warn them of potential trouble?  :tickedoff:

("It's just the flu" debunked by Dr. Fauci- https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top-federal-health-official-says-coronavirus-outbreak-is-going-to-get-worse-in-the-us.html)

I found myself struggling with all the uncertainty about the virus, and questioning if I was prepared. Also feeling unable to reach out to those family or friends who seemed to be still in the denial phase that this was NOT a problem. For us, there's another player on the field. Withdrawal seems to magnify fears about minor or even fictional threats or scenarios. Hard enough to wrangle sometimes without this stupid virus.

There's a name for what people experience when faced with an unexpected crisis...Adjustment Reaction. It's a perfectly natural thing to be uncertain. It protects us from harm like pulling your finger off a hot object. The article below by Peter Sandman explains the different steps people go through and how to know if you truly are "over-reacting."  Just like the phases of grief, most people are able to work through these in a healthy way.                http://www.psandman.com/col/teachable.htm

Phases:

1) You pause.

2) You become hyper-vigilant

3) You personalize the risk

4) You take precautions

Learned about it on Chris Martenson's Peak Prosperity update  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogf6Hru2trE. Go to 11:00

The point is that the virus, like watching the 9/11 Twin Towers event, will rock everyone's world for a while, even if not directly involved. This seems like a more personal threat, and it's invisible.  That makes it more ominous. Natural and actually healthy to have a fleeting moment of "Oh Shirt!" (Good Place), but then, you settle down and begin to work the problem. This happens at different speeds for different folks.

No one can be educated out of it as this is an EMOTIONAL response. In fact, you all know who you can talk to, and who you need to leave alone. They can only "hear it" from their safe person. It just takes time.

I'm posting this as it helped me to not only understand the reactions of others, but to give myself a little grace.  It will be tough, but we'll get through it. Stop the spread. #Flatten the curve  :thumbsup:

People losing theur G'HAwd Dayum minds up here in seattle wa its insane lmao . Im in the heart of the madness watching it all like a film. Pretty interesting stuff Ive never seen anything like it in my life.