Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

coronavirus fears

[Ka...]

I found this great info about COVID-19 Information from Stanford University today:

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

1) If you have a runny nose you have a common cold.

2) Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3) If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

4) On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

5) Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice

6) Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

7) Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

Thank you Kathy, can you provide the link?

Sorry Magnesi, it wont work, I got this from a private group on FB today.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ka...]

• [Be...]

• [Ma...]

• [ma...]

There certainly is a food shortage when I cannot get food.  I just read some articles that the suppliers and meat producers cannot keep up with demand.  That is a true food shortage.  I couldn't hoard even if I wanted to since I have no room to store anything.  Us poor people who don't have the money to stock-up or hoard or even store food in extra freezers, etc. like richer people do with bigger homes are screwed in this "pandemic."

Kathy this is not "from Stanford" at all. It's a scam. That's why there's no link. Taiwan experts? Fooey. Also, it's semi-illiterate. "Serious excellent advice from Japanese doctors" indeed. I just had to Google this looking for a link to verify some of the claims and got many, many references to its being a scam. I showed it to my partner who is a biochemist and she shook her head in disgust. Sad that this sort of misinformation is out there.

I found this great info about COVID-19 Information from Stanford University today:

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

3) If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

4) On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

5) Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice

6) Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

Katz

That's funny.

The boss has lockdowned the other virus shred but not this one.

I wonder where they got that idea from lol

Actually I agree, and suggested it last week. This topic should not be on a mental health forum. If 'normal' folk is panicking, just think what it's doing to some of us here.

If this shred don't get lockdowned it will be kinda screwy and hypocritical.

That's funny.

Actually I agree, and suggested it last week. This topic should not be on a mental health forum. If 'normal' folk is panicking, just think what it's doing to some of us here.

Id guess the locking down might be a bit more specific next time..!!

You remind me of someone, -different name though..??

Lets not jump from thread to thread causing opinionated turmoil hey... Im sure the team will discuss the “locking” privately with you at some point if you feel the need...

:)

Hey dude you remind of that song from the 80's from the Vapors, Turning Japanese. Terua's turning Japanese, he's turning Japanese I really think so. I think he's turning Japanese I really think so....  I think he's turning Japanese I really think so....  I think he's turning Japanese I really think so....  I think he's turning Japanese I really think so....

You need to say sayonara mate, like this stupid song, just go away. Everyone is sick of you already and you only been posting for a few days. You are rude and annoying as hell. Your finished.

FG, someone like me who is already very ill and those who are seriously ill can die from not having food to eat.  Healthy people can probably fast for days and be ok, but not sick people.  We DO NOT HAVE ANY FOOD IN OUR GROCERY STORES!  They are completely bare.  Screw the media for causing this pandemonium and mass hysteria.  I'll take 40" of heavy snow instead of this media frenzy about this stupid virus causing the food shortage.  At least with all the snow I knew there was food at the grocery stores.

You're going to be ok.

The food shortage is temporary. It will peak and then there will be plenty of food again. I have been through many hurricanes, this happens every single time. The only reason the supply has been disrupted is because people are in a temporary state of panic because they don't know what to expect. There is plenty of food out there. The crops are still growing and the pigs and cows are still there. We just have to give it a little time.

Agreed. There is no food shortage. Also the average American has less than 1000 dollars in savings. Their credit cards should be very well maxed out after this run on the stores. When they restock people won’t have any money to stock up much more and you’ll get food with ease.

Also, there is no way that only 100 people in NYC have this virus. Ohio’s governor is right. At least one percent of the population has this virus already. That is millions of Americans and yet we have had only 70 deaths. The fatality rate is not what the fear mongerers are letting on. Also, everyone keeps claiming that health officials are scared but I know many. None of them are scared. They all think this is a crazy overreaction. I have yet to meet one doctor in person who thinks this thing is what the media is saying it is.

I don't know who you know, but most of our friends and acquaintances are in health care either as doctors, nurses, nurse anesthetists and others, and they are worried about the impact on their ability to take care of patients.  If the curve of infection is not flattened there will not be enough beds for critical care patients and we are dearly short of ventilators in the USA.

That’s cool. Most of my friends are the people they have just put out of work. Who is going to buy food for the bartender, waiter, waitress, school bus driver, school bus mechanic, airline pilot, airplane mechanic, hotel clerk, disney world employee, bouncers, private school teachers, non essential factory worker, wedding dj, photographer, florist, etc? Unemployment will pay them? Payroll taxes from essential employees are going to cover unemployment for all of these people? 5 percent of the population can not financially support the other 95 percent. Are we going to borrow from China like we used to? Not likely. The hysteria has caused everyone to lose their ability to reason or do math. By the time this is all over there won’t be a small business left and Jeff Bezos will pen everything and all because we didn’t stop to think and he did.

I am all for solutions but this is not it. This is hysteria. We make poor choices when we are scared.

That's funny.

I think that you were told yesterday that this is not a Mental Health Forum from a Mod. Have a peaceful day.

That’s cool. Most of my friends are the people they have just put out of work. Who is going to buy food for the bartender, waiter, waitress, school bus driver, school bus mechanic, airline pilot, airplane mechanic, hotel clerk, disney world employee, bouncers, private school teachers, non essential factory worker, wedding dj, photographer, florist, etc? Unemployment will pay them? Payroll taxes from essential employees are going to cover unemployment for all of these people? 5 percent of the population can not financially support the other 95 percent. Are we going to borrow from China like we used to? Not likely. The hysteria has caused everyone to lose their ability to reason or do math. By the time this is all over there won’t be a small business left and Jeff Bezos will pen everything and all because we didn’t stop to think and he did.

I am all for solutions but this is not it. This is hysteria. We make poor choices when we are scared.

It's not the hysteria that will cause the loss of jobs, it's the fact that in order to minimize transmission of the virus, it is necessary to take strong proactive steps.  We will all have to pitch in and help businesses regain their footing when we are able. In my daughter's city they recommend buying gift certificates from restaurants so that some income will keep coming in, however small it is.

It's not the hysteria that will cause the loss of jobs, it's the fact that in order to minimize transmission of the virus, it is necessary to take strong proactive steps.  We will all have to pitch in and help businesses regain their footing when we are able. In my daughter's city they recommend buying gift certificates from restaurants so that some income will keep coming in, however small it is.

Buy gift certificates with what? My wife and I are one of the only couples I know who live responsibly within our means and have abundant savings. 70 percent of Americans do not have 1000 dollars in savings. You sound like you are in a similar boat as me. We will be fine. I have not always been here. I grew up in poverty. You are asking people with zero income to buy gift certificates. It is flawed logic. A friend of mine owns one of the largest auto body shops in NYC. On a group call with a few friends he just told us that he is going to lay off all if his employees except two. He went from taking in hundreds of cars a week to ONE. Yes one single car. Because no driving means no accidents. Those bondo slingers will not be buying any gift cards. We are laying off EVERYONE. Not some but almost all. This is crazy to me. If we actually tested people we would find out that millions are infected. That would make the death rate miniscule. Everyday the severity is being decreased by the facts yet hysteria increased. Everyone needs to keep working. We need another solution. Just because I have money now does not mean I have lost touch with the social class I left behind.

Thank you Kathy, can you provide the link?

Sorry Magnesi, it wont work, I got this from a private group on FB today.

I haven’t been able to hold my breath for months.

And antibacterial spay will not kill viruses.

Kathy this is not "from Stanford" at all. It's a scam. That's why there's no link. Taiwan experts? Fooey. Also, it's semi-illiterate. "Serious excellent advice from Japanese doctors" indeed. I just had to Google this looking for a link to verify some of the claims and got many, many references to its being a scam. I showed it to my partner who is a biochemist and she shook her head in disgust. Sad that this sort of misinformation is out there.

Katz

Ok, i'm sorry if this is not a valid thread, Facebook is definitely not a reliable source of information and i'll be more careful posting next time, but I think it all kind of makes sense, to me it does anyways, besides i've seen the same information throughout several different sources now, like the self check test that Taiwan experts have suggested i've read about in a few places now and it really makes sense if you have healthy lungs to begin with, doesn't it? I don't see the mention of antibacterial spray anywhere here? Anyways, if you didn't find it helpful sorry, i'll try to find more valid links next time)

It blows my mind that people in this thread think everyone is overreacting because the economy is crashing.  Trump has based his entire presidency on a strong economy and stock market.  It's literally the only thing he cares about.  Do you honestly think that he would shut everything down if he didn't think it was necessary?  If he had another option?  These are not bleeding hearts leading the world telling people to stay home because they care about saving 85 year olds who are a whisper away from death anyways.  These are business people who are looking at some hard data telling them millions could die if they don't do this.  But of course they are wrong and it's a few people on internet forums without any scientific or medical background that are the ones who have uncovered the truth.  If only our world leaders listened to them!!!  :laugh: :laugh:

That's funny.

Check your PM inbox.

The people complaining here still have their income. I will loose my job in 4 weeks. Not because the government has locked my company down, not because politicians overreacted - the opposite. Clients have come into the company while the Corona virus had already spread. Too many infected people now. You cannot run a company with sick employees. If the government had closed us down 2 weeks ago, this could have prevented that I lost my job.

New perspective for you, right?

They have to close places in order to safe the economy. There must be strategies to prevent people infecting others.

The people still doubting that covid is a severe illness did not have any contact with it yet. Or may be not able to have a look on spanish newspapers or websites about the situation in the hospitals. 

:tickedoff:

great. really great. One of my family members had difficulties with the heart this morning. And then I read this here ...unbelievable.

There certainly is a food shortage when I cannot get food.  I just read some articles that the suppliers and meat producers cannot keep up with demand.  That is a true food shortage.

How long do you think this can last?

If someone were bombing our farms, factories and roads or if our cows and crops were somehow infected with something we would have cause to worry, but that isn't the case. This is simply a case of demand TEMPORARILY outpacing supply. You can rest assured that the producers and retailers are doing everything they can to keep up (my buddy drives a forklift for Publix, he is on mandatory overtime) but there is simply too much demand at the moment because people don't know what to expect.

The demand will QUICKLY cool off (how much food can one hoard???) when the hype cools down and when that happens the stores will be fully stocked and crowd free for awhile.

Buy gift certificates with what? My wife and I are one of the only couples I know who live responsibly within our means and have abundant savings. 70 percent of Americans do not have 1000 dollars in savings. You sound like you are in a similar boat as me. We will be fine. I have not always been here. I grew up in poverty. You are asking people with zero income to buy gift certificates. It is flawed logic. A friend of mine owns one of the largest auto body shops in NYC. On a group call with a few friends he just told us that he is going to lay off all if his employees except two. He went from taking in hundreds of cars a week to ONE. Yes one single car. Because no driving means no accidents. Those bondo slingers will not be buying any gift cards. We are laying off EVERYONE. Not some but almost all. This is crazy to me. If we actually tested people we would find out that millions are infected. That would make the death rate miniscule. Everyday the severity is being decreased by the facts yet hysteria increased. Everyone needs to keep working. We need another solution. Just because I have money now does not mean I have lost touch with the social class I left behind.

The argument that "the economy doesn't matter" is easy to make if you are financially secure, but when your survival depends on having an income it isn't quite so simple. Some people face an existential threat from a virus, others face an existential threat from the measures that are being taken to prevent the spread of the virus.

I am a resilient person and despite the fact that my cognitive function is still in the toilet I am pretty sure that I will be able to scrape through this somehow, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have anything backing me up so it wouldn't take much to put me on the street. Anyone who suggests that I shouldn't be concerned about this needs to ask themselves who is really being selfish here.

I'm not suggesting that older people who have retirement income are being selfish for not wanting the virus to spread, but I'll be damned if I am going to feel guilty for expressing some concern about my own well being due to the economic ramifications of this.

It blows my mind that people in this thread think everyone is overreacting because the economy is crashing.  Trump has based his entire presidency on a strong economy and stock market.  It's literally the only thing he cares about.  Do you honestly think that he would shut everything down if he didn't think it was necessary?  If he had another option?  These are not bleeding hearts leading the world telling people to stay home because they care about saving 85 year olds who are a whisper away from death anyways.  These are business people who are looking at some hard data telling them millions could die if they don't do this.  But of course they are wrong and it's a few people on internet forums without any scientific or medical background that are the ones who have uncovered the truth.  If only our world leaders listened to them!!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Show me the math. I promise I am intelligent enough to understand.

The argument that "the economy doesn't matter" is easy to make if you are financially secure, but when your survival depends on having an income it isn't quite so simple. Some people face an existential threat from a virus, others face an existential threat from the measures that are being taken to prevent the spread of the virus.

I am a resilient person and despite the fact that my cognitive function is still in the toilet I am pretty sure that I will be able to scrape through this somehow, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have anything backing me up so it wouldn't take much to put me on the street. Anyone who suggests that I shouldn't be concerned about this needs to ask themselves who is really being selfish here.

I'm not suggesting that older people who have retirement income are being selfish for not wanting the virus to spread, but I'll be damned if I am going to feel guilty for expressing some concern about my own well being due to the economic ramifications of this.

Exactly. Well said.

This thread has gone off course, much the same as the other Coronavirus thread. I believe this thread was meant to be an information sharing thread about the virus.  Political arguments have never been successful here on the forum. If it is important for you to share your political views I believe there are other venues for that.

For now I am locking this thread.

pianogirl

[a2...]