Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

coronavirus fears

[Ka...]

I despise greedy, selfish hoarding people.

And ppl who try and get rich off it.

I read an article about 2 guys who went around to all Dollar stores in mainly small towns buying up hand sanitizers...they ended up with 17,000 bottles. They were going to sell them on amazon .com for $8.00 a bottle.

Store managers must've seen hoarding going on and could've  put a limit on virus essentials and food but they didn't. Its pathetic.

The lady who delivered my groceries last Thurs said the stores had been out of hand sanitizers for a week. 

I hope they get this ridiculous food hoarding situation under control soon  ::)

Me too. It’s appalling and sad how many people are behaving like stupid, selfish and scared sheep. If everyone would calm down and think and act rationally, have some compassion and help one another, things would be so much better.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ka...]

• [Be...]

• [Ma...]

• [ma...]

It’s the people’s selfish inconsiderate behavior

really bothering me  not the virus.

Also governments political maneuvering.

In US it’s showing the crumpling health care

system. Reading about people recovering from virus.

Unless you are risk categoy the symptoms for some are

mild. Sound similar to a cold I had last year.

Not that I wish such a thing on anyone.

Every single grocery store in my area is completely bare.  Instacart comes from local stores.  They have NO FOOD AT ALL anywhere in the area.  Ignorant stupid hoarders.  Trump says, "Stop it!"  I called the local grocery store and told him I think the Coronavirus crap is making not only the grocery stores super rich, but Big Pharma and the vaccine companies.  It's bullcrap.  It's just a flu virus.

Since you've been doing a lot of reading you should understand that this is not "just a flu virus".  It is a virus, one that is so new that no one has an immunity to it. Eventually there will be a vaccine, perhaps in a year, and eventually people will acquire an immunity.  We know COVID is highly contagious, can remain on metal and plastic for 9 days and can be transmitted by non symptomatic people.  This is why proactive steps have been taken.

I agree that hoarding is wrong but I also understand this is uncharted territory for the bulk of people around the world. Fear can do funny things. We all should know this, fear is a very common symptom of benzo withdrawal.  We need to understand and be compassionate.

I subscribe to pianogirl's post that compassion is key and that we should understand that fear leads people to do stupid things. The problem is that when people behave in a stupid, selfish and scared way, they pressure our shitty governments into taking disproportionate measures that will eventually do more harm than good. As FloridaGuy said, economic problems will also bring a lot of suffering. The recent economic crisis here in southern Europe increased the mortality rate a lot. And guess who suffered the most? Old people and those with health conditions, of course.

A small but good measure I saw here: from the beginning, the supermarkets reinforced the effort to keep the shelves full because it is known that empty shelves create panic and lead to irrational hoarding behaviours. We see a lot of employees working on the shelves and there are no empty areas. They are also reducing the number of people that can be inside the supermarket at the same time.

I found this great info about COVID-19 Information from Stanford University today:

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

1) If you have a runny nose you have a common cold.

2) Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3) If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

4) On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

5) Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice

6) Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

7) Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! 

I found this great info about COVID-19 Information from Stanford University today:

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

3) If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

4) On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

5) Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice

6) Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

This is great

1.) I said it before: 2 family members of mine have Covid. This is not a normal flu. I will not write more here. I had the flu in december and it took 4 weeks to leave and about 2 more weeks to fully recover. That was a real influenza flu. What my family members have to face right now (and they are NOT old or in the risk group) cannot be compared to the normal flu.

2.) Regarding the food situation. We have a lot of groups coming up right now, on facebook, on the newspaper and so on. People in these groups shop for the elders and are really good organized. They also have created a toilet paper station :laugh: and other groups offer activities via Skype to prevent people freeking out of boredom at home. I can also see people taking care of other families children because the kindergarten is closed, and they do it in a good way not provoking further outbreaks.

Its important to search the media and youtube and the internet in general for the good stuff happening right now.

1.) I said it before: 2 family members of mine have Covid. This is not a normal flu. I will not write more here. I had the flu in december and it took 4 weeks to leave and about 2 more weeks to fully recover. That was a real influenza flu. What my family members have to face right now (and they are NOT old or in the risk group) cannot be compared to the normal flu.

2.) Regarding the food situation. We have a lot of groups coming up right now, on facebook, on the newspaper and so on. People in these groups shop for the elders and are really good organized. They also have created a toilet paper station :laugh: and other groups offer activities via Skype to prevent people freeking out of boredom at home. I can also see people taking care of other families children because the kindergarten is closed, and they do it in a good way not provoking further outbreaks.

Its important to search the media and youtube and the internet in general for the good stuff happening right now.

So nice to hear about people who are exercising compassion (and not being selfish!) during this time. I'm so sorry to hear that your family members have been infected -- I hope they recover soon.

So nice to hear about people who are exercising compassion (and not being selfish!) during this time. I'm so sorry to hear that your family members have been infected -- I hope they recover soon.

Thank you. We try to stay cool, there are rules how to behave. They do not live near to me so I am sitting near to the phone all day and check on them as much as I can. Even if they would live near, I would not be allowed to visit them. It broke my heart today when I saw in the news that the minister for health said that in Italy people have to say goodbye to their family members dying in the hospital on the phone, when they decided to give the ventilator to someone younger. It really is so hard on me and my heart goes out to these people. I have difficulties to get the pictures out of my brain.

Maybe that is the reason I might sound harsh on people here complaining about things which are now really not important. :'(

These times my empathy is a burden.

Oh Marigold, it's completely understandable, you are right in the midst of it right now, and are going through something that we might have to go through very very soon too, thank you for sharing your valuable advice, hopefully we'll all be prepared now when it starts to get bad.( somehow deep inside i still have this hope that maybe it will pass somehow, miraculously, i don't know if it will though :()..

Oh Marigold, it's completely understandable, you are right in the midst of it right now, and are going through something that we might have to go through very very soon too, thank you for sharing your valuable advice, hopefully we'll all be prepared now when it starts to get bad.( somehow deep inside i still have this hope that maybe it will pass somehow, miraculously, i don't know if it will though :()..

Thank you. It is a real crisis, both for the economy as for the health. It will traumatize countries. I hope after that nurses will be payed much better, same for police and firemen/women.

It triggers  a lot in me, I noticed. the feeling of not being able to help is the worst for me. I cancelled my day at work tomorrow, although this might be a catastrophe for the company, but I need to calm down and find back to strength if I want to stay stable emotionally. So I will try to rest tomorrow and then start over again Wednesday. This kind of self care is so hard on you, if you are needed but if you do not do that, you will collaps after one week. And I am near to that. It's hard.

I’m sorry your family is going through this, Marigold...best wishes for a full recovery for them.  In the meantime, the worry is hard on the entire family.

Sharing your family’s experience may save others whose countries or personal awareness are not yet where yours is.

:hug:

Thank you Kathy, can you provide the link?

I hope all goes well with your family Marygold. I understand because at this moment my family is quarantine as my oldest daughter is still recovering from a lung infection that puts her at greater risk of complications. I just hope common sense will prevail and that effective measures are implemented, such as enhancing the capacity of health services, instead of populist measures that will only worsen our real situation. My husband's company is starting to fire employees because everything stopped. Meanwhile, I see people entertaining themselves with "currents of virtual solidarity" and the like, going into a kind of collective hysteria and asking for even more disproportionate measures. I'm very worried. However, I will continue to read and post here when I have time and the conversation is interesting because I accept other people have opinions different from mine.

I’m sorry your family is going through this, Marigold...best wishes for a full recovery for them.  In the meantime, the worry is hard on the entire family.

Sharing your family’s experience may save others whose countries or personal awareness are not yet where yours is.

:hug:

Thank you Challis.

At the moment they are isolated and have to report how they feel. Hospital is only for the very severe cases but imagine yourself laying in bed with fever, trying to think and to report. Symptoms can change very quickly, thats what we have learned from Italy. And at the beginning it wasnt clear did they have it or not until the test results came back.

Imagine being sick at home with all the news and tickers about deaths and ... then asking yourself "well am I able to breathe still or should I call and say its getting worse"...:-) you do not need to be an anxious person. I personally would freak out..

I have to say they both are very brave and calm, but of course they want me not to freak out and maybe do not tell me the hole truth.

Both have no former deseases  or underlying issues and are under 40 years old.

Both have had a regular influenza before and say its not comparable any more.

Both say they think it has started about 10 days ago but no one can tell because first you are symptom free and they both have been tested while already having symptoms.

They have neighbors bringing them food and meds, thats a relief for me. These helpers have to follow strict rules as well.

Both members of my family had called the doctor / authorities themselves and those had already started to search for them because a other infected person had been to the place they were infected. Which was luck because at the moment you only are tested if you have been in risk countries or had contact to an infected person and can name it. (we seem not to have enough test kits).

As long as they were waiting for the orders, they did already isolate themselves because they did not want to infect anyone.

Very wise and responsible.

And thats why I say: Let us all stay at home if we can because we might already have the virus - and we do not want to infect someone who cannot handle it.

Maybe I am being dense as heck, but I really would like to know why you say "its not a normal flu." What makes it so different? I have read all the normal stuff on this and have not yet heard a reason (from a medical point of view) what makes this different. Maybe Iread the wrong sources...??

I would very much like to hear back from you! Its never to late to learn something now.

east

It doesn't matter what I call the Coronavirus, whether I call it a flu or not.  The point I'm trying to make is that people are OVER-REACTING and panicking so much here that the grocery store shelves are completely bare! I emailed President Trump tonight and told him to please tell people again to stop hoarding food!  I also told him that I'm mentally and physically disabled and cannot go out to restaurants or fast food places to get my food since I am housebound now and need to cook all my food at home.  The food shortage here is a very very serious problem and is going to kill more people than the actual virus will.  If the disabled housebound cannot get food at the grocery store they will get very ill.  This is completely insane!  Completely.  My friend called tonight and said he is out of toilet paper.  He will not be able to get more either, which is a serious hygiene problem.  The grocery stores answer the phone and say right off, "We have no toilet paper."  There is too much media coverage of this Coronavirus!  It's ridiculous.  Healthy people who are not disabled take it for granted that they will survive this, but those who are disabled like I am now may not.

The food shortage here is a very very serious problem and is going to kill more people than the actual virus will. 

Becks, I wouldn't worry about the food thing.

Firstly because this isn't a war or food shortage situation or anything like that where there is a danger of food supplies being substantially cut off for a significant amount of time. People are simply overreacting because this is an unprecedented event. The supply will keep coming and the demand will eventually decrease when people start to feel safe and secure.

Secondly because we can live a long time without food. It might not be pleasant or ideal but I don't think anyone is going to starve over this.

I know it can be hard not to let the benzo brain get the best of you but I also you are very smart and you already know all of this. Things will probably be pretty chaotic for the next few weeks but I am betting that a lot of these issues will have been resolved by then.

FG, someone like me who is already very ill and those who are seriously ill can die from not having food to eat.  Healthy people can probably fast for days and be ok, but not sick people.  We DO NOT HAVE ANY FOOD IN OUR GROCERY STORES!  They are completely bare.  Screw the media for causing this pandemonium and mass hysteria.  I'll take 40" of heavy snow instead of this media frenzy about this stupid virus causing the food shortage.  At least with all the snow I knew there was food at the grocery stores.

Maybe I am being dense as heck, but I really would like to know why you say "its not a normal flu." What makes it so different? I have read all the normal stuff on this and have not yet heard a reason (from a medical point of view) what makes this different. Maybe Iread the wrong sources...??

I would very much like to hear back from you! Its never to late to learn something now.

east

Annie,

COVID is not influenza.  It is called "novel" because it is new, a never seen before virus that no one has immunity to.  It is of upmost importance that people take this seriously.

Do some reading, look at the graphs of how quickly infections can rise.  We need to do whatever we can to minimize the impact on our medical/health systems. 

I don't want to scare anyone, but those in the medical field are concerned about the possibility of insufficient beds to care for the sick and ventilators for those who might need them.

I was able to get 12 roll of T paper today . the girl who does mmy shopping said it was going fast, it had just came in.

She was about an hour late and she said she's never had so many deliveries.

The stores will keep getting stock in.

FG, someone like me who is already very ill and those who are seriously ill can die from not having food to eat.  Healthy people can probably fast for days and be ok, but not sick people.  We DO NOT HAVE ANY FOOD IN OUR GROCERY STORES!  They are completely bare.  Screw the media for causing this pandemonium and mass hysteria.  I'll take 40" of heavy snow instead of this media frenzy about this stupid virus causing the food shortage.  At least with all the snow I knew there was food at the grocery stores.

You're going to be ok.

The food shortage is temporary. It will peak and then there will be plenty of food again. I have been through many hurricanes, this happens every single time. The only reason the supply has been disrupted is because people are in a temporary state of panic because they don't know what to expect. There is plenty of food out there. The crops are still growing and the pigs and cows are still there. We just have to give it a little time.

You're going to be ok.

The food shortage is temporary. It will peak and then there will be plenty of food again. I have been through many hurricanes, this happens every single time. The only reason the supply has been disrupted is because people are in a temporary state of panic because they don't know what to expect. There is plenty of food out there. The crops are still growing and the pigs and cows are still there. We just have to give it a little time.

Agreed. There is no food shortage. Also the average American has less than 1000 dollars in savings. Their credit cards should be very well maxed out after this run on the stores. When they restock people won’t have any money to stock up much more and you’ll get food with ease.

Also, there is no way that only 100 people in NYC have this virus. Ohio’s governor is right. At least one percent of the population has this virus already. That is millions of Americans and yet we have had only 70 deaths. The fatality rate is not what the fear mongerers are letting on. Also, everyone keeps claiming that health officials are scared but I know many. None of them are scared. They all think this is a crazy overreaction. I have yet to meet one doctor in person who thinks this thing is what the media is saying it is.

[a1...]