Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

coronavirus fears

[Ka...]

I am as afraid of the virus as of our rulers. Some find this an excellent opportunity for exercises of power and to flaunt their lack of common sense. First, it took them forever to realize that they had to close schools, etc. and now they exaggerate with authoritarian measures. Why can't people go for a walk outdoors, which is good for their health and morale?! The important is to keep the social safety distance, avoid closed environments with a lot of people, wash hands often, not touch the face, etc. Hairdressers are much more conducive to contamination than an open street! Everyone criticizes the UK but the truth is that encouraging the production of ventilators is much more important than bullying people to not putting a foot in the street.

The problem is that I don't think anyone really knows the objective "truth" about this and to make matters worse it's hard to know who to trust when the media, business and political interests are involved.

Public perception is a powerful thing and it's easy to get to a tipping point where people and groups are making decisions based more upon optics than common sense. The city "closed down" a huge event we have here this week by revoking temporary vendor permits during the last 2 days of a 10 day festival. As far as I can tell this did nothing to disperse the crowds, they just moved to different venues. I seriously doubt that it did anything to disrupt the transmission of the virus but at least the city can now say that they did *something*.

As a democracy, that’s all anyone can do.  Partisan commentary has led to a large population who are not taking this pandemic seriously. Yet.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ka...]

• [Be...]

• [Ma...]

• [ma...]

I am as afraid of the virus as of our rulers. Some find this an excellent opportunity for exercises of power and to flaunt their lack of common sense. First, it took them forever to realize that they had to close schools, etc. and now they exaggerate with authoritarian measures. Why can't people go for a walk outdoors, which is good for their health and morale?! The important is to keep the social safety distance, avoid closed environments with a lot of people, wash hands often, not touch the face, etc. Hairdressers are much more conducive to contamination than an open street! Everyone criticizes the UK but the truth is that encouraging the production of ventilators is much more important than bullying people to not putting a foot in the street.

The problem is that I don't think anyone really knows the objective "truth" about this and to make matters worse it's hard to know who to trust when the media, business and political interests are involved.

Public perception is a powerful thing and it's easy to get to a tipping point where people and groups are making decisions based more upon optics than common sense. The city "closed down" a huge event we have here this week by revoking temporary vendor permits during the last 2 days of a 10 day festival. As far as I can tell this did nothing to disperse the crowds, they just moved to different venues. I seriously doubt that it did anything to disrupt the transmission of the virus but at least the city can now say that they did *something*.

Common sense dictates that decisions be made to try to minimize the spread of the virus.  This is a serious issue, one we haven't had to face in our lifetime. 

Some cities, including mine, are making proactive decisions in this regard and I applaud them for it.

As a democracy, that’s all anyone can do.  Partisan commentary has led to a large population who are not taking this pandemic seriously. Yet.

I think that preventing people from taking a walk outside does a lot of harm. It's harmless in terms of spreading the virus, it's completely out of proportion and very harmful for those, for example, with depression. It will cause people to stop adhering to the measures much sooner, out of tiredness. It is important to invest in efficient measures and strengthen the health system, not punish people. Producing more ventilators seems an excellent idea.

Closing schools, working from home, cancelling large events, etc. is useful. Preventing people from taking a walk outside is very bad and abusive.

I think that preventing people from taking a walk outside does a lot of harm. It's harmless in terms of spreading the virus, it's completely out of proportion and very harmful for those, for example, with depression. It will cause people to stop adhering to the measures much sooner, out of tiredness. It is important to invest in efficient measures and strengthen the health system, not punish people. Producing more ventilators seems an excellent idea.

Closing schools, working from home, cancelling large events, etc. is useful. Preventing people from taking a walk outside is very bad and abusive.

It is NOT.

Why?

I see that the main part of the people does NOT listen to the authorities. In Berlin 200 people went to a night club. Infected now. This is just ONE example what happens if the leaders say "please do not go to night clubs". The people did that to show them " we don't care what you tell us".

Same for churches which hold on having over 100 people in church sunday. Same case. New infections now.

They will make the hole country be closed down and we will all have to sit in our houses and wait until it's over. This is democracy. The people are idiots. As long as they do not have to go to prison or have to pay money if they do not follow the rules they keep doing bulshit.

I have seen 10 teenagers taking photos with the smartphones standing on the street and kissing each other in front of my window today. With tongue you know. For instagram, they told me.

THATS how the main part of our people is.

And thats the reason Germany will have to impose a curfew, just like France had to. As the prime minister of France said in the news "I have to do that because going out in these times to have nice night in a bar is just stupid" He was angry and I was too.

The medical professionals have a hard job right now, and thanks to such idiots the burden for them grows bigger. And then I see people provoking with taking pictures kissing each others. For instagram. I have no words.

Makes me really, really, really angry.  :tickedoff:

Same when it comes to work. We have now organized that everyone can work from home. It was such a huge thing to organize but we did it. I worked full time to make sure everyone can work safe from home. 50% of the reaction was: anger. They did not understand. They said its all fake news.

I said: Its an order of the authorities in our town, we have to do that.

Instead of saying, thank you, for making this possible for us, thank you for working full time Marigold - no, like children, I do not like that.

This is not the time to pay attention about what people "like" or dislike. With each day, the numbers explode and I have to discuss with stupid people because they do not want to work from home. When nurses, people in kindergarten, health system - have to work. no matter how high the risk for them is.

:tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

see my former comment, please.

I think - and I can only speak for Germany - now the politicians have understood that the experts for health and viruses said has been right from the very beginning. Since the Kanzlerin has spoken in TV this is clear. The week before they still thought this would not be a big thing. I was running crazy thinking are you all sleeping? can't you see what's coming? And I think they reacted way to late and not strictly enough, so we will have the same situation like in Italy in about 2 weeks. We do not have a system of different broadcasters for TV in Germany, all TV channels report the same things. Not comparable with the US. Same for radio stations and newspaper. They all follow the advice of the Robert Koch Institute for Public Health / Viral Diseases now.

Thats why I become so angry here. You can now trust what the media tells you, the numbers are correct, the advice is correct - and people just dont care. Many even do not watch the news at all.

But how seriously should we be taking it and what measures need to be taken?

This is an unprecedented event for most of us, experts included (at least the measures that are being taken with it are unprecedented) and anyone who has experienced damage at the hands of supposedly safe psych drugs should know that you simply can't take anything at face value. You can't trust much of anything with the media, and I'm not saying that the CDC and the WHO are spreading false information but anyone who thinks that these organizations aren't susceptible to outside influences should think twice.

Better safe than sorry? Ok, I'm on board with that, but you have to be conscious of the consequences. The entire world shutting down is going to have a serious affect on the economy for a long time to come. A lot of people can't afford to take two days off of work let alone two weeks or two months. It seems like creditors are foreseeing issues and claim that they are going to work with people but this is going to be a HUGE mess either way.

I guess we'll see how everything shakes out.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that it isn't the end of the world, as long as people can keep their heads together  :-\ Eventually this will all be behind us.

But how seriously should we be taking it and what measures need to be taken?

This is an unprecedented event for most of us, experts included (at least the measures that are being taken with it are unprecedented) and anyone who has experienced damage at the hands of supposedly safe psych drugs should know that you simply can't take anything at face value. You can't trust much of anything with the media, and I'm not saying that the CDC and the WHO are spreading false information but anyone who thinks that these organizations aren't susceptible to outside influences should think twice.

Better safe than sorry? Ok, I'm on board with that, but you have to be conscious of the consequences. The entire world shutting down is going to have a serious affect on the economy for a long time to come. A lot of people can't afford to take two days off of work let alone two weeks or two months. It seems like creditors are foreseeing issues and claim that they are going to work with people but this is going to be a HUGE mess either way.

I guess we'll see how everything shakes out.

I believe it's important to care more about the people we love, for the elderly ( oh yeah, that's me) then it is to worry about the economy. 

In Germany they have changed the law and give a huge amount of money into the economy now. For little and self-employed companies/people they get a 20 years lasting credit to overcome the next months or years. Its really well thought. Of course, some will not make it. But they are very concerned the ecomony suffers. More than about the humans, I think.

The pressure on everyone here is huge but I think the right measurements were done, except that I would hinder people of going out of the homes except for work, trips to the supermarket. Like in France. But as I said. This will happen soon.

ON the other hand, just to report some good news, I can see good ideas coming up, which might lead to new business. We have now dog-walking groups who take out the dogs of the people who cannot leave home any more, same for grocery shopping. Online teaching, online coach, online.. online.. online.. and changes are made very quickly right now. Which is great! You can now order a corona-test-kit online when you have a paper from your doc, for example. This means a quicker result, no contact to others and more access to tests. I am also very pleased that Mr. Trump was NOT able to buy the German company developing a vaccine.

I have 2 infected people in the family right now :-[ sadly exactly the family members I like. Its scary, really. So I am very happy when I see people cooperate. Although  -as you might have noticed :laugh: - at the moment I am mostly angry because of the humans..

hahahah! ;D ;D ;D

This was made in Germany:

#StayTheFuckHome

Great idea. :thumbsup: lets spread it!

(this is not a joke, it was made by Florian Reifschneider, a 29-year-old software engineer and web developer based between Frankfurt, Germany and Florida)

Reifschneider is the creator of the Twitter hashtag #staythefuckhome, which he says has reached over 250,000 people in a single day. On his website staythefuckhome.com, which surpassed 1 million visitors on Friday, a”Self-Quarantine Manifesto” encourages people to wash their hands, avoid public transit, nix concerts and museums, forgo the office, and broadly—you guessed it—to stay the fuck home, within one’s ability.

It is NOT.

Why?

I see that the main part of the people does NOT listen to the authorities. In Berlin 200 people went to a night club. Infected now. This is just ONE example what happens if the leaders say "please do not go to night clubs". The people did that to show them " we don't care what you tell us".

Same for churches which hold on having over 100 people in church sunday. Same case. New infections now.

They will make the hole country be closed down and we will all have to sit in our houses and wait until it's over. This is democracy. The people are idiots. As long as they do not have to go to prison or have to pay money if they do not follow the rules they keep doing bulshit.

I have seen 10 teenagers taking photos with the smartphones standing on the street and kissing each other in front of my window today. With tongue you know. For instagram, they told me.

And thats the reason Germany will have to impose a curfew, just like France had to. As the prime minister of France said in the news "I have to do that because going out in these times to have nice night in a bar is just stupid" He was angry and I was too.

The medical professionals have a hard job right now, and thanks to such idiots the burden for them grows bigger. And then I see people provoking with taking pictures kissing each others. For instagram. I have no words.

Same when it comes to work. We have now organized that everyone can work from home. It was such a huge thing to organize but we did it. I worked full time to make sure everyone can work safe from home. 50% of the reaction was: anger. They did not understand. They said its all fake news.

Instead of saying, thank you, for making this possible for us, thank you for working full time Marigold - no, like children, I do not like that.

This is not the time to pay attention about what people "like" or dislike. With each day, the numbers explode and I have to discuss with stupid people because they do not want to work from home. When nurses, people in kindergarten, health system - have to work. no matter how high the risk for them is.

I'm sorry Marigold but that's not rational. In democracies measures SHOULD be proportional. Nightclubs represent a risk; going for a walk doesn't. We shouldn't just react out of fear and go over everyone. That's how dictators rise to power, as we very well know from history - with much worse consequences. I don't give a free pass to any government. 

It is NOT.

Why?

I'm sorry Marigold but that's not rational. In democracies measures SHOULD be proportional. Nightclubs represent a risk; going for a walk doesn't. We shouldn't just react out of fear and go over everyone. That's how dictators rise to power, as we very well know from history - with much worse consequences. I don't give a free pass to any government.

I can only tell what I see here :'( People just do not think about keeping a distance. It was funny but the last day I went into the office I had just left the car and was going on one side of the street when a man passed by and coughed me right into the face so that I could feel the sprinkle. I mean?!

Its the same with the football stadium. They canceled the game so no fan could come in. What did the fans do? Did they watch online? No, they met on places they announced on facebook, so we had again - a crowd of people.

This is really sad.

I believe it's important to care more about the people we love, for the elderly ( oh yeah, that's me) then it is to worry about the economy.

No one is suggesting that we not take steps to protect people but I think that some folks do have valid financial concerns.

The economy isn't some nebulous concept that only affects the rich and it isn't just about not having enough money for a new big screen tv. People rely on their income to put a roof over their heads, to feed themselves and their families and pay for health care.

We have to do what we have to do and I understand that we all might have to deal with some issues from this in the name of minimizing the overall harm but I don't think it is selfish for anyone to voice a concern about this.

Thanks to all the stupid paranoid Coronavirus hoarders, I may run out of food by next week and I'm housebound and can't go out to restaurants or other places to get food.  Gerry has to buy my food each week since I'm housebound from this brain damage.  Gerry couldn't get my chicken or sliced bread today and had to get 1.5 dozen eggs instead of dozen and also Gerry had to get me 2 quarts of milk instead of the half-gallon.  President Trump put out a statement one hour ago and said, "Stop hoarding food."  Here's the link.  Stop doing it, damn it!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/15/trump-no-hoarding-coronavirus-grocery-stores-130771

It is NOT.

Why?

I can only tell what I see here :'( People just do not think about keeping a distance. It was funny but the last day I went into the office I had just left the car and was going on one side of the street when a man passed by and coughed me right into the face so that I could feel the sprinkle. I mean?!

Its the same with the football stadium. They canceled the game so no fan could come in. What did the fans do? Did they watch online? No, they met on places they announced on facebook, so we had again - a crowd of people.

This is really sad.

I understand but, in addition to being undemocratic and damaging in the long run, forbidding everyone from leaving home is not going to prevent that. Careless people will always find other ways to meet, as you saw with that game, of course. Much more important would be to educate and raise awareness. What they have to do is close or cancel everything that represents a real risk, inform, raise awareness and, above all, STRENGTHEN THE NATIONAL HEALTH SYSTEM which, at least here, has been badly mistreated in recent years.

Thanks to all the stupid paranoid Coronavirus hoarders, I may run out of food by next week and I'm housebound and can't go out to restaurants or other places to get food.  Gerry has to buy my food each week since I'm housebound from this brain damage.  Gerry couldn't get my chicken or sliced bread today and had to get 1.5 dozen eggs instead of dozen and also Gerry had to get me 2 quarts of milk instead of the half-gallon.  President Trump put out a statement one hour ago and said, "Stop hoarding food."  Here's the link.  Stop doing it, damn it!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/15/trump-no-hoarding-coronavirus-grocery-stores-130771

Instacart!

Every single grocery store in my area is completely bare.  Instacart comes from local stores.  They have NO FOOD AT ALL anywhere in the area.  Ignorant stupid hoarders.  Trump says, "Stop it!"  I called the local grocery store and told him I think the Coronavirus crap is making not only the grocery stores super rich, but Big Pharma and the vaccine companies.  It's bullcrap.  It's just a flu virus.

Every single grocery store in my area is completely bare.  Instacart comes from local stores.  They have NO FOOD AT ALL anywhere in the area.  Ignorant stupid hoarders.  Trump says, "Stop it!"  I called the local grocery store and told him I think the Coronavirus crap is making not only the grocery stores super rich, but Big Pharma and the vaccine companies.  It's bullcrap.  It's just a flu virus.

I'm so sorry Becksblue, it is terrible what's happening and how people are panic buying stuff and shelves are empty at lots of places. I heard that Whole Foods still have quite a bit of stuff and are doing a pretty good job of delivering but i don't know what area you're at though  and if it's the same as here. Costco yes it's really bad they had police at the local Costco yesterday because there was several people fighting over food, it's so Crazy!!

Someone's food supply is a very strong instinct.  No wonder I have such bad extreme anxiety, not knowing if I'm going to starve to death.  My life is cursed.

Becks, I know that you need some fresh things, but what about ordering staples from amazon?

Katz

ummmm..!! Lol

-Might be quicker planting seeds.. :(

Actually, I started that a while ago, and it is a bit of peace of mind in the back of my head..

-obviously its not possible for everyone..

I was just out, and the shops have gone mad..!! They have just suspended all online ordering and pre-packing services..  I only needed dog food as I buy in bulk on the special/sale cycle.. There was none..!! Thankfully a friend works there and got me 5 big bags from out the back.. -Tomorrows supply.. 

Next trick is to buy oxycontin in bulk, then im good to stay home.. -Dont like my chances on that one..!!

:(

I despise greedy, selfish hoarding people.

And ppl who try and get rich off it.

I read an article about 2 guys who went around to all Dollar stores in mainly small towns buying up hand sanitizers...they ended up with 17,000 bottles. They were going to sell them on amazon .com for $8.00 a bottle.

Store managers must've seen hoarding going on and could've  put a limit on virus essentials and food but they didn't. Its pathetic.

The lady who delivered my groceries last Thurs said the stores had been out of hand sanitizers for a week. 

I hope they get this ridiculous food hoarding situation under control soon  ::)

[42...]