Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My home is a big mess

[Tr...]

My house was actually cleaner when I was in withdrawal since I couldn't sit still.  When I'd gotten all of the housework accomplished, I came up with projects like painting and landscaping, anything I could do to keep moving.  These days, I've gotten pretty lazy because I'm so relaxed. 

I remember that even though I was highly agitated and needed to keep moving, everything was overwhelming and I was afraid.  But I used the old eating the elephant saying, the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, otherwise it's too big.  So, if you find a task in your home that needs doing, single it out, and take one little bite out of it and let the sense of accomplishment wash over you.  Maybe the next day, take another bite, perhaps it will get easier to eat that elephant one bite at a time.

My house has been a mess since I came off the benzo. Now that I live in a tiny house it's even worse cause there just isn't any extra space to hide stuff.

I really hate living like this but I don't know how to change it. Any time I try to move things around it causes me to lose track of everything. My brain gets used to the "chaos" and any attempts at organizing makes matters worse from a standpoint of being able to find things when I need them.

I have been able to get my office somewhat organized again. When we had the big hurricane scare last year and I had to move everything it really, really messed me up. I had spent months and months organizing my inventory and business tools and all of that was wiped out when I had to move. That was like September??, it is now mid February and I have just finally been able to get things mostly put back into place.

You just don't realize how much having a functional brain allows you to live and work efficiently, until you lose it of course.

Maybe chaos in the brain causes chaos in our surroundings. I never really thought of that before, FG, but it seems true to me. I have NEVER had such a terrible time cleaning my condo as I've had during this benzo mess. As I speak, there are dishes in the sink and on the counters. I haven't dusted for month or done much vacuuming. And I used to be OCD about my surroundings. The only time I clean is when someone is coming over, and that's not much.

Maybe chaos in the brain causes chaos in our surroundings. I never really thought of that before, FG, but it seems true to me. I have NEVER had such a terrible time cleaning my condo as I've had during this benzo mess. As I speak, there are dishes in the sink and on the counters. I haven't dusted for month or done much vacuuming. And I used to be OCD about my surroundings. The only time I clean is when someone is coming over, and that's not much.

Part of it is a motivation issue, part of it is lack of the ability to organize, part of it is exasperation from knowing that I SHOULD be able to do things I can't do and part of it is from knowing that every time I move something around it screw up whatever road map I had already formed in my head that allows me to keep track of my junk.

I agree, FG, lack of motivation and ability to organize. I seem to just walk by the mess and keep walking. My eyes see it, but my brain can't seem to get it together to desire to clean. Oh, I set the clock every once in awhile and do all the dishes, tell myself that I'm going to keep the kitchen clean, but a couple of days later it's stacked with dishes again. The worst part about it is that I don't care, and I always used to care about my place. An organized home = an organized mind is how I've always felt. But my focus is still gone for the most part.

Last yr I threw out a lot of stuff and cleaned a lot and it felt good but now I'm back to square one

I'm too confused to deal with it

Papers all over kitchen table, etc, I'm too unorganized to deal with it

I do vacuum a few times a week but I have a long hair cat.

[f6...]
Having a messy dirty house makes me anxious.  I keep my home neat and clean for that reason.  My surroundings really effect my mood...I like scented candles and fresh flowers and esthetically pleasing decor.

JP always said to clean your room. Part of the 12 rules to life. What do you do when your family members are hoarder's and there is dust and grime everywhere. I guess I have to clean up everyone's mess on top of my own. Mamoot has to clean up the entire house and get rid of boxes loaded with stuff. Could use a few cargo containers. I'm not exaggerating. I live in warehouse.

JP always said to clean your room. Part of the 12 rules to life. What do you do when your family members are hoarder's and there is dust and grime everywhere. I guess I have to clean up everyone's mess on top of my own. Mamoot has to clean up the entire house and get rid of boxes loaded with stuff. Could use a few cargo containers. I'm not exaggerating. I live in warehouse.

"Cleaning your room" can be taken literally or figuratively. Getting yourself out of a bad living situation could be considered part of cleaning your room. That may not be easy or even practical for someone who has health issues but I think that's the answer to that question.

[61...]

Here is one take and a  link that maybe explains it  re Jordan Petersons  teachings

https://medium.com/@asandalis/clean-your-room-c8247df7b891