Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

HOW SAFE IS AMAZON FOR LARGER SPECIFIC ITEMS..??

[Ca...]

So, technophobe that I am, Im entering new territory here..

From Australia, im looking for an Electric PTO clutch for a ride-on mower, -not that that is important beyond that it has to be somewhat specific to the American brand mower, or similar by part number... I have found a few on Amazon where the numbers match, and very much cheaper despite the freight... If it doesnt fit, returns seem to be a problem (electrical item), so Im wondering how accurate these things are.. The picture looks the same..

There are very few reviews, and how trustworthy are the reviews in general.. Are they filtered at all..??

Any suggestions as to how to go about this are also welcome, and no blame if it all goes bad.. lol

Everything seems about half price or less online, despite the freight.. -is that to be expected in general..??

My kids say dont do it, I could get anything, or nothing.. I probs taught them to be paranoid though... lol

I get a lot of dirt bike parts from the states, but thats direct with the stores website... Its been fantastic...

Thanks Guys..

:)

It's my opinion that many of the reviews are fake.  I do order a lot of things from Amazon, nothing as large as a riding mower but some things have been fairly large.  My husband also thinks many reviews are fake. He does a lot of research into products he purchases but he does order a lot from Amazon.

pianogirl

It's my opinion that many of the reviews are fake.  I do order a lot of things from Amazon, nothing as large as a riding mower but some things have been fairly large.  My husband also thinks many reviews are fake. He does a lot of research into products he purchases but he does order a lot from Amazon.

pianogirl

Thanks Pianogirl, -no,no, its just a part, not a whole mower.. -lol, Im trying to avoid having to get a new mower, due to excessive part prices in store over here...

They all have less than 5 reviews, and most just say “as described” or similar..

Hmmmm...

pianogirl

Thanks Pianogirl, -no,no, its just a part, not a whole mower.. -lol, Im trying to avoid having to get a new mower, due to excessive part prices in store over here...

They all have less than 5 reviews, and most just say “as described” or similar..

Hmmmm...

You might be fine with just parts. As I said, my husband gets a lot of electronics, yard tools, computer stuff etc on Amazon. He's pretty darn good at the 'one click' ordering.  ;)

cant, I order lots of stuff from Amazon (I'm lazy). Some pretty esoteric things, too. Some of them aren't quite right, so I send them back. I've never  had A not take sthg back. As for fake reviews, yeah, maybe. Sellers usually ask buyers to leave a review. You can always ask a question if you want more info -- specifically of the purchasers/reviewers. I've had plenty of ppl ask me questions about things I've purchased (does it cool a whole room? how long is the cord? did your cat like it? did the small really fit you?)

If it were me, I've give it a go, mate!! You can always send it back. Amazon requires its sellers to take stuff back (I used to be one such, ahem).

Hope this helps,

:smitten:

Katz

I've ordered all kinds of part from Amazon vendors for my Craftsman lawnmower.  My lawnmower looks like "Mad Max" from Thunderdome but its still chugging.  Never had

a problem IF  I got the right part number (or sometimes an equivalent part number). Take a  look

at the Amazon vendor's profile.... where they are located.  Usually there an indication of how

long they have been in business, how many transactions etc.  Also look to see if the pictures

of what you are ordering match. Usually there are multiple vendors selling the same thing so

you might check those out.

I sell online for a living. As a general rule, buying from ebay, amazon or any of the other big retail sites is pretty safe, they can't allow unscrupulous sellers to ruin their platforms so they have buyer protections in place.

Just make 100% sure you are buying the right part. Ask questions before the sale if necessary. It is highly unlikely that a seller is going to outright defraud you. If they do you have recourse if the item they send isn't what you ordered. Not only that but you can also dispute the transaction with your credit card.

There is risk with any online transaction but these companies didn't grow to be some of the biggest in the world by allowing fraudulent transactions so unless there is a huge glaring red flag I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks Guys, that really helps.. :)

Yes, it seems getting the succession of part numbers right is key. which I think I have, and two stores here confirm this... My head is swimming with numbers..!! Lol

I tried to contact a couple (2) vendors to confirm, as they suggest, but no reply in 3 days thus far...

It seems that I cant use the direct “search/submit a question” until I have a purchase accrued to my new account..?? So the contact was via some Amozon forwarding service..

The kids also clarified to watch for shoddy fake platforms that pop up, not the genuine Amazon/Ebay if Im using an established account.. Thats where they got bitten a while ago..

lol, if this goes well my homebound induced savings might get scared..!! -so much to catch up on..

-I guess this has been an issue for many through history.. Retail therapy, medicine spellbinding, etc..

Top, I had to laugh, I have seen on Youtube what some people do to their ride-on’s..!! :)

Katz & FG, thanks, -its validating knowing you both have “extra” experience in this area.. Not to dismiss others...

Lets see how it goes..!! -with this weather the lawn is now hitting the 3 foot mark in places, -like most of it..!! (Different grasses took over after the drought ended)

I agree, Amazon is really safe. I have never had a problem ordering things from Amazon and I have ordered a lot. I think some of the reviews are fake for certain products. Here is something I have recently noticed. I have written hundreds of reviews over the years on things I have bought from Amazon. Here is what I have noticed. The reviews that I now write are taking a lot longer to be approved and posted on the website than they use to take. Maybe, they are trying to weed out the fake reviews.

Ebay is ok for certain things, but I am more cautious when I buy on ebay. I just purchased a refurbished iphone 8 plus off Amazon for over $400 and the phone works perfectly and is in mint condition. I would never order a phone like this on ebay.

Amazon has a pretty good return and item never received policy.  I have had stuff stolen off my porch, when I lived in the city, and amazon shipped out another one, right away,when I contacted them.  I had the same thing happen with a pair of hundred dollar boots from the boots store, and they told me I was out of luck.  So with that sort of thing amazon was very good.

Thanks Greencup. I did not know Amazon covers you if you are the victim of porch pirates! Amazon rocks IMO. I quit going to Walmart. I probably buy 95% of my things from Amazon now. :-)

***I live in a pretty safe neighborhood and have never had anything stolen btw.

Ebay is ok for certain things, but I am more cautious when I buy on ebay. I just purchased a refurbished iphone 8 plus off Amazon for over $400 and the phone works perfectly and is in mint condition. I would never order a phone like this on ebay.

Amazon is not any safer than ebay. They are both safe, they both have buyer protection policies.

Thanks Greencup. I did not know Amazon covers you if you are the victim of porch pirates!

I would not count on any online platform to reimburse for stolen packages. They might only do it under certain circumstances.

Does Ebay give you 3 months (return, no questions asked) on a refurbished ip8 Plus?

You aren't buying from ebay. It is up to the individual seller, they all have different return policies. On Amazon sometimes you ARE buying directly from Amazon, but often it is the same as with ebay, you are buying from a third party seller and are subject to that particular seller's terms.

I will say one thing, Amazon is stepping up their game as far as Amazon.com returns are concerned. They make it very east to send things back. I owuldn't pay a lot more money for something though if you find it cheaper somewhere else. I would shop around, do you due diligence and take everything into consideration.

It depends on what you are buying IMO. I just looked and all the sellers on ebay give you only 30 days mostly and some disclose other things that make me uncomfortable. Ebay is fine but there are certain items I (personally) will not buy off ebay.

It depends on what you are buying IMO. I just looked and all the sellers on ebay give you only 30 days mostly and some disclose other things that make me uncomfortable. Ebay is fine but there are certain items I (personally) will not buy off ebay.

Many of the sellers on one platform sell on the other platform as well. Again, you aren't buying from ebay, you are buying from an individual seller, and it is the same situation with many items on Amazon.

No matter where you buy you need to read the terms of the listing. If it works for you, buy it, if not, look somewhere else. There is no reason to say "I won't buy this or that off of platform x". If the seller on either platform doesn't live up to the terms of the listing, ebay or amazon will have your back.

Thanks Everyone.. :)

Yes, as I looked at a multitude of various sellers policies, it seemed only a few had the “NO returns on electrical parts” policy.. Most were 30 days, with some logical conditions, and/or restocking/handling fees...

-Now the long wait for the “row boat express”...  eta -5 March..

Next ill be looking for a retail therapy support group.. :(

[95...]

Yes, as I looked at a multitude of various sellers policies, it seemed only a few had the “NO returns on electrical parts” policy.. Most were 30 days, with some logical conditions, and/or restocking/handling fees...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Im in aus too

and some items I ordered said 4th march

delivery and they are here

already. 

So might come sooner and surprise you

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Im in aus too

and some items I ordered said 4th march

delivery and they are here

already. 

So might come sooner and surprise you

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hey Sky, :)

I so hope so..!!  Right or wrong, the idea is nice.. -Anticipation..!! Lol

I was wondering if its 12 pound weight put it on the slow boat, but perhaps thats just a standard Aussie freight time estimate..?? -about 3 weeks..??

Seriously, im about to destroy the lawn with the big tractor... :(  The race is on, Im waiting for a new battery for that thing too.. Apparently maintenance doesn’t wait for withdrawal... :(

Trust you got your share of rain where you are..  :)

What's really bad Cant is when you get everything quickly for awhile and then something like a bad snow storm slows it way down and you are spoiled rotten and feel so cheated it took 4 days instead of 2  :laugh: :laugh:  Amazon has us all in its grip.    ;):D

You sound good after all the appointments  :D

🌿🐢🐸💚💚

Mim

What's really bad Cant is when you get everything quickly for awhile and then something like a bad snow storm slows it way down and you are spoiled rotten and feel so cheated it took 4 days instead of 2  :laugh: :laugh:  Amazon has us all in its grip.    ;):D

You sound good after all the appointments  :D

🌿🐢🐸💚💚

Mim

A spoilt Mary Mim, - surely not..!  Lol

Im still going to have to drive into town to pick up from the damn post office anyway... :(

I just got really messed around by a shop way over on the other side of the city on some parts anyways, so the bar isnt set that high for online shopping in my mind atm.. 

• 2 weeks later...

A day late going by the tracking... -But tomorrow was the original date...

Still... It beats the attitude and BS in getting from a local store on other parts.. They messed it up twice, AND are giving me attitude about not rushing into town to pick it up, despite me telling them I was only in town once a month and offering to pay up front in the first place (one thing they messed up)..

Ill take late over attitude any day.. -apparently I dont respond so well to BS atm...