Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Am I being unreasonable about the Coronavirus??

[ca...]

There seems to be widespread confusion as to what the word "peaking" actually means.

In place of that word I would offer the phrase "run its course".

This means that EVERYONE has been exposed to it in one way or another. This would have happened in China with a population of 3 billion. Of course, remote spots may not have been affected at all. In cities, those who caught it have caught it, and of course the vast majority haven't caught jack shit. There are just too many folk in the country for any organization to keep an accurate count. This is good news of course for the world in general.

Europe's reaction has been to copy Wuham. Closing down a city that size probably did jack shit, what happened would have happened anyway. Governments want to assure their folk that they are doing something, even if it is not what scientists recommend.

The real virus isn't the bug but the panic that has taken over and the loss of economic activity. Closing down bars and chow [/b]joints is daft. But zilch any one of us can do about it but play dominos.

No, it is a wise way to try to limit exposure to the virus.  A seemingly healthy person can infect a higher risk person even while not showing symptoms. I applaud efforts to try to keep the immune compromised and elderly safe.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [te...]

• [Ca...]

• [Fi...]

Before I turn in for the night, I just heard that Japan will probably set up "drive-thru" testing centers.

They are places separate from hospitals with large parking areas. You are given a number on the way in and stay in your car until it is called.

If Korea and Japan can do it with large populations in urban areas, why can't the rest of the world?

It is being done here is the USA. Of course, if you are practicing a media blackout, you would not know this. Denver has had drive up testing for the past week.

Hey Castillo... :)

I been wondering if things have gotten a bit easier at home now there is some more validation that things are a bit serious..?

You holding up ok..??

:)

Aww thx CantFly for asking!  I can happily say that I am no longer judged for my mask wearing ;D. Just yesterday my brother came home claiming he had a mild cough, felt warm and had a headache. For context, he is a bus driver.  I never saw my mother scramble so quickly for a mask :laugh:  Its very tense in this house since he has a public job and my sister as a nurse.  Her hospital is currently code orange.  Not 100% sure what that entails but when it gets bad she would need to quarantine herself.  So far it doesnt look like any new cases at her hospital since those infected are isolating at home.  So while the mask issue with me is a thing of the past, we have this looming over our heads.  How exactly do we isolate in a house full of people? We share same bathrooms!  Do some of us sacrifice showers? ::)  That would bring me back to the early benzo w/d days lol

lol, I know that benzo related shower issue quite well too... I could never put my finger on a “why”..

Sounds like your making the best out of what IS a tough situation.. I do hope your brother is ok, and you and the rest of your family remain safe..  Good that that one aspect of tension has eased, but yeah, close living is a new one that I hope will get the cooperation it needs...

Im trying hard to see this through the eyes of those that arent living remote to high population and socially isolated as I am atm.. Its a whole different thing..

So my thoughts are with you all, and the strength you demonstrate...

:)

There seems to be widespread confusion as to what the word "peaking" actually means.

In place of that word I would offer the phrase "run its course".

This means that EVERYONE has been exposed to it in one way or another. This would have happened in China with a population of 3 billion. Of course, remote spots may not have been affected at all. In cities, those who caught it have caught it, and of course the vast majority haven't caught jack shit. There are just too many folk in the country for any organization to keep an accurate count. This is good news of course for the world in general.

Europe's reaction has been to copy Wuham. Closing down a city that size probably did jack shit, what happened would have happened anyway. Governments want to assure their folk that they are doing something, even if it is not what scientists recommend.

The real virus isn't the bug but the panic that has taken over and the loss of economic activity. Closing down bars and chow [/b]joints is daft. But zilch any one of us can do about it but play dominos.

No, it is a wise way to try to limit exposure to the virus.  A seemingly healthy person can infect a higher risk person even while not showing symptoms. I applaud efforts to try to keep the immune compromised and elderly safe.

Sorry boss but disagree

The elderly and vulnerable need to protect themselves by staying at home for the next month or two.

Healthy folk, say relatives, should refrain from getting too close to elderly folk (in terms of distance).

So you close down bars and chow joints, as if they are greater dangers than any other place where folk get together.

Japan has the oldest population in the world but they haven't done the same shit that USA done. The UK government scientific dude even said there is no significant increased risk in gatherings of up to 50 folk at least.

Is the US government gonna compensate small businesses for loss of income? Probably not. I'm just lucky not to be in such a country full of idiots

The excessive media coverage here in the US is going to kill more people than the virus will because of the severe food shortages now.  Media outlets are more concerned with how big their viewer audience will be, $$$$$$, than giving a crap about the Coronavirus.  The US is totally messed up.

Another pretty obvious reason that chow joints and bars which sell food should not be closed. It's a pain in the ass to buy food right? That's a reason why chow joints should remain open. They don't need to wait outside supermarkets, they got wholesalers what delivers.q

The folk what agrees with their governments saying it's all for the common good is just proving they got swayed by propaganda. Like the French in Nazi times who supported the Vichy government.

It should be left to your own discretion whether you choose to go to a chow joints or bar. Governments should stop treating folk like idiots. All their doing is encouraging selfish, hysterical and inhuman behavior.

I'm so lucky I'm not in the USA or Europe rite now.

terua,  Here in the US:  No food in the grocery stores and then close all the restaurants and bars and fast food joints and people are going to starve to death.  This country is insane from all the media hype about this not-deadly virus.

The excessive media coverage here in the US is going to kill more people than the virus will because of the severe food shortages now.  Media outlets are more concerned with how big their viewer audience will be, $$$$$$, than giving a crap about the Coronavirus.  The US is totally messed up.

As usual your spot on Becksy.

Shame that it seems there's only a minority that can see through the propaganda. We're like those guys in The Matrix (who the future of mankind depends on).

Unfortunately there ain't nothing we can do except go along with it or get shot by a National Guard. Are the "peacekeepers" being tested regularly? 20 bucks and a nut says they ain't.

Becksy, just read an interesting article what I won't post because not in English.

I don't entirely agree with it although it does contain an element of truth.

Governments (let's talk Trump here) actually know that their drastic measures probably won't have any significant effect 😷

But they're following each other's lead. When this virus runs its course (which may take a couple of months in some countries) the economy, stock markets will pick up, as they always do completely naturally after shocks.

Then the government will take credit for the improvement and say their drastic measures worked.

Meanwhile, untold suffering will have afflicted folk who haven't even caught the virus. Jobs lost, small businesses especially restaurants gone bust, etc etc 'nuff said

Hope your ok Becksy. This shouldn't be happening in the richest country in the world. It isn't happening anywhere in Asia even though they got it worse in terms of infection numbers as a % of population. There is another way.

Shame that it seems there's only a minority that can see through the propaganda. We're like those guys in The Matrix (who the future of mankind depends on).

Unfortunately there ain't nothing we can do except go along with it or get shot by a National Guard. Are the "peacekeepers" being tested regularly? 20 bucks and a nut says they ain't.

This is absolute nonsense.  There is no propaganda. We are very lucky that information is available to us through the media because if we didn't have it, things would be much worse. Of course, there are still those "truthers" who deny the existence of this virus, perhaps that would change if they or someone they cared for got sick with it.

While opinions will be permitted on the forum, we'll be keeping close watch that conspiracy theories are not espoused. This is expressed disallowed here on the forum.

This is absolute nonsense.  There is no propaganda. We are very lucky that information is available to us through the media because if we didn't have it, things would be much worse. Of course, there are still those "truthers" who deny the existence of this virus, perhaps that would change if they or someone they cared for got sick with it.

While opinions will be permitted on the forum, we'll be keeping close watch that conspiracy theories are not espoused. This is expressed disallowed here on the forum.

Agree with this. The US is really one of the only countries where we are able to get all sources of information

, both from the government and from everybody else, so that we can make an informed decision and decide for ourselves what is the truth and what are lies. I feel sorry for the Asian countries where the citizens have no say in the matter, and also no brains in the matter because they only have one source of information which is their government, now THAT is propaganda and a successful one.

Incredible reply. You're a miracle PTSDMiracle! That's ain't to say your not a lovely lady. You can only judge facts in accordance with your own life experiences and education, which applies to anyone.

You just admitted you believe the propaganda that the US press is free from propaganda.

There is not such thing as a free and honest press. Newspapers, when not controlled directly by the state as in China, are businesses out to make money. It is often if not usually not in their interests to provide unbiased coverage. As Becksy said, $$$ is all that matters to them so that shock headlines and content sell their product.

Many of the newspapers are owned by multibillionaired dudes who are on the same side as their governments. In fact media moguls are often close friends of the leader. Fox News is blatantly right wing but you just need a single reporter to very occasionally have a go at Trumpsy and folk go see, it's not biased. Their editors gotta reflect the views of their bosses.

The NY Times is kinda middle of the road but their anti-China stance did them no favors.

The closest you will get to honest reporting in English language is a Brit paper called Guardian but it gets accused of being left-wing because it is so different from all the others which are right-wing. Personally I don't read that either.

For truly unbiased reporting, you need to read a French newspaper called Le Monde, but you need to read French. Also a Japanese newspaper called 朝日新聞 which is Asahi Shinbun in English in case anyone thinks I made it up. I think it may got an English website but I never used.

So unless a yank or brit makes the effort to learn another language, your choice of information sources is far more limited and biased than you might think.

I don't expect you to read this and change your mind. Just to realize that there are two sides (or more) to every argument.

Over and out.

Hope you find some chow Becksy. It's awful that this is happening because if the ineptitude of some world leaders and stressing out all of us with pre-existing mental conditions far more than we deserve.

we live in the 21st century and newspapers and formal media aren’t the only source of information. Here in the US we have access to Google, YouTube, blogs, Facebook, friends in various sectors, AND we have freedom of speech. That’s why it’s at least possible to spot wrong or twisted info, especially when info from different sources conflict with each other due to political or personal gain reasons. It’s Much easier to get closer to the truth than other parts of the world, that is, if you’re interested and willing to dig, IF you are able to apply critical thinking. In China and other non democratic countries for example, there’s no google, YouTube, Facebook. The “truth” is LITERALLY what the government tells you.

Incredible reply. You're a miracle PTSDMiracle! That's ain't to say your not a lovely lady. You can only judge facts in accordance with your own life experiences and education, which applies to anyone.

You just admitted you believe the propaganda that the US press is free from propaganda.

There is not such thing as a free and honest press. Newspapers, when not controlled directly by the state as in China, are businesses out to make money. It is often if not usually not in their interests to provide unbiased coverage. As Becksy said, $$$ is all that matters to them so that shock headlines and content sell their product.

Many of the newspapers are owned by multibillionaired dudes who are on the same side as their governments. In fact media moguls are often close friends of the leader. Fox News is blatantly right wing but you just need a single reporter to very occasionally have a go at Trumpsy and folk go see, it's not biased. Their editors gotta reflect the views of their bosses.

The NY Times is kinda middle of the road but their anti-China stance did them no favors.

The closest you will get to honest reporting in English language is a Brit paper called Guardian but it gets accused of being left-wing because it is so different from all the others which are right-wing. Personally I don't read that either.

For truly unbiased reporting, you need to read a French newspaper called Le Monde, but you need to read French. Also a Japanese newspaper called 朝日新聞 which is Asahi Shinbun in English in case anyone thinks I made it up. I think it may got an English website but I never used.

So unless a yank or brit makes the effort to learn another language, your choice of information sources is far more limited and biased than you might think.

I don't expect you to read this and change your mind. Just to realize that there are two sides (or more) to every argument.

Over and out.

Hope you find some chow Becksy. It's awful that this is happening because if the ineptitude of some world leaders and stressing out all of us with pre-existing mental conditions far more than we deserve.

I have been doing some thinking for myself being that the media has been intent on only showing us news that scares the most people. The American media has been suppressing any news about the true rate of infection. They appear to be artificially inflating the death rate. They tell us that there are 1200 confirmed cases in the US. I question the critical thinking skills of anyone who believes this number. Ohio health officials and their governor have stated that their computer models have indicated that approximately 1 percent of the population of Ohio is infected and that is not even a hot zone. Imagine the numbers in New York or California for example. Those numbers are already a few days old. If Ohio is at a minimum of 1 percent infection then it is a pretty safe bet that this can be applied to the US as a whole. If one percent of the population of the US is infected that is approx 3 million people. If 3 million people are already infected or have been infected at a minimum and we have had fewer than 100 deaths then the true current fatality rate is approx .00003 percent. That is many times less than influenza. Now everyone has not recovered yet so who knows what it will truly be. But it certainly is not anywhere near even .5 percent let alone 3.4 percent like they are irresponsibly reporting. They have destroyed our economy. Small businesses are being decimated and wealth inequality will spread at unprecedented rates.

Now let's look at South Korea. The more they test the lower the death rate goes. However, even they have only tested 260,000 citizens. They have 51 million citizens. 3 percent of the people they tested were positive. They are claiming a .8 percent death rate. Now if you believe that the other 99.75 percent of their population that they haven't tested are not infected then go ahead and accept what you are being fed. But if we think for ourselves and be extremely conservative and say that if even 1 percent of the people they have not tested are carrying the virus or have already fought it off then the true death rate for South Korea would fall at .00005 percent. Again an even smaller percentage than the seasonal flu.

Now this is just using some common sense and some simple math. I have to wonder why no one is willing to speculate of the number of cases but everyone is willing to speculate on the fatality rate. Now that is fear mongering 101. Now if you believe that in NYC that only 100 people have it then forget everything I have said. You are intent on being terrified and no amount of logic will calm you. If you have ever ridden the subway in NYC then join me in laughing out loud at these rediculously illogical numbers.

Why is Italy faring so poorly? Well because they were running around kissing each other on both cheeks all day long and they have the highest rate of infection of any country as a result. They don't have a higher death rate just a higher number of deaths and no clue about their insanely high infection rate because they are doing just as poor of a job testing as everyone else.

That's an excellent reply Jack.

I think those of us who think for ourselves are a minority, unfortunately. All we can do is present our arguments as logically as possible.

Italian is one of the languages I read fluently and I have lived in country. Kissing on the cheek is actually a very significant point. Those customs aren't easily abandoned as "Oops sorry Giuseppe I shouldn't have done that but too late now"

To add to that and I wrote this earlier (or on another forum) , Italy has a lot of old people, the most in the world after Japan if you omit tiny places like Bhutan and Monaco or wherever.

Yesterday I read these figures regarding fatalities in Italy:

45% are over 80 years old

35% are over 70

95% are over 60

Of course, you will always hear of a young dude who croaked but using the exceptions to scare the majority is immoral. And you will never hear of their other pre-existing health conditions. You can have diabetes, heart problems, lung problems, undiagnosed HIV and other conditions in your 20s.

The other gig with Italy is that a very high % of old people are looked after by their famalies and live in the same apartment (apartments there are very spacious) or houses.

This is not any conspiracy theory…just fact. If terua reads this post, I would be interested if his country is mentioned in the following article Britain backs Putin idea of five-way summit of world powers-UK embassy REUTERS/World News/March 13, 2020

And for the record…I’m politically neutral. I obey the laws as long they do not conflict with my beliefs….one of those beliefs includes the refusal to take up arms against another person no matter where on the face of the earth.

US is one of the richest countries in the world, and I have NO FOOD to buy at my grocery store because of paranoid panic-stricken people who watch the sensational fear-mongering news and now believe the Coronavirus is like Ebola or something and that they're going to get it and die or at least get extremely sick.  People are going to starve with no food to buy. 

Nothing.  Nada.  No food.  I went to the store yesterday and meat section is completely wiped out.  No meat anywhere.  The stuff that you need to be healthy is gone. 

I am locking this thread for the night. The administrative team will discuss whether or not to reopen it tomorrow.

Good night, folks.

Challis

[b3...]