Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Am I being unreasonable about the Coronavirus??

[ca...]

My biggest concern right now is when the virus returns after the summer months next fall. It may return stronger and deadlier. This is what you should be worrying about the most.

I found where I read what you are saying Mamoot...was wondering where I had read it, since I've been quoting it often to people I meet when out and about, just wasn't sure where I had read it. It confirms what you are saying:

The pandemic began in March 1918.* Many investigators trace its origin to the state of Kansas, U.S.A. From there it was apparently spread to France by newly arrived U.S. soldiers. After a sharp increase in influenza deaths, by July 1918 it seemed that the worst was over. Little did doctors know at that time that the pandemic was only gathering strength to become a more efficient killer.

When World War I ended on November 11, 1918, the world rejoiced. Ironically, at almost that same time, the pestilence broke out earth wide. It was a monster that now claimed international headlines. Few who lived through that time were untouched, and all were frightened. A respected authority on influenza noted: “Life expectancy in the United States dropped by over 10 years in 1918.” How did this pestilence differ from others? The Worst Plague In History

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [te...]

• [Ca...]

• [Fi...]

The idea of the virus coming back stronger is the same principle of natural selection. As the virus dies off in the warmer months when people are outside more weaker mutations or versions of the covid-19 will die off and only the strongest most efficient mutations/versions will thrive. And once it gets cold again it will spread fast again. The virus may even spread more in cold weather itself and warmer climates affect it. I don’t know though for sure how it works. If that’s true it’s even worse maybe because of the laws of natural selection

Most of those 80% are likely the stronger of the populations young healthy adults. Seems to hit weak people and older people more

Nope most of the 80% is older folk. Younger folk in general don't get it at all.

These kinda viruses been around since Moses. But our ancestors survived without medications. People never travelled around so much in them days so everything was localized. Whether you believe the story of Noah is up to you, but it's highly likely there was a flood (according to Hittite legend) but it wasn't the whole world because it hadn't yet been discovered, probably in the Mediterranean basin which wasn't a sea back then.

This ain't beubonic plague. That would be a good reason to panic.

Folk of a nervous disposition should not be reading this overload of panic mingerin information.

Wash your hands and carry on as normal. The virus will disappear eventually. Patience is what's needed not panic.

The regular flu each year kills more people than this Coronavirus.  China just had a bad outbreak in their one town and it got alot of press and then made  people think the worst.

Other things to consider is this virus is not another flu. It's a unique virus of unknown origin, that might be man made possibly. There is no direct evidence to support that it's man made though. People like to compare it to influenza but it is not the same at all. Also, there are different strains of this virus and it is constantly evolving. The version of covid19 in Italy may be different based on the epidemiological data. It’s weird and a little baffling actually the way it spread in Italy. It may suggest it’s a more deadly version. Another thing is the panic it will cause as it gets worse. My cousin works at a big hospital and she said there are no masks left. I don’t even think they have surgical masks for doctors to do surgeries out there is a major shortage. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck and are drowning in debt so they can’t fathom this virus being anything more than the flu but they really should start to worry. I’m not trolling right now. I don’t have to post these messages I really care about you guys and am trying to give you a heads up. I hope it calms down and gets better but we may be in for a potential disaster.

Thank you for the information. I agree that it is important to be aware and alert to what is happening. It just seems to be the wise course, given the fact of the current uncertainty/lack of knowledge of this virus and its potential. I've never witnessed anything like this in my 62 years of life.

I've never witnessed anything like this in my 62 years of life.

But the question is, is this because of the media hype or because it truly is a much bigger threat than anything we have seen? I'm not convinced either way. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle. A bigger threat, but it's the media hype that is actually going to make the societal problems it could cause snowball.

I see it all the time with hurricanes. People have good reason to prepare but the panic that ensues leads to a lot of irrational behavior.

I've never witnessed anything like this in my 62 years of life.

But the question is, is this because of the media hype or because it truly is a much bigger threat than anything we have seen? I'm not convinced either way. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle. A bigger threat, but it's the media hype that is actually going to make the societal problems it could cause snowball.

I see it all the time with hurricanes. People have good reason to prepare but the panic that ensues leads to a lot of irrational behavior.

I agree about media hype.

But the nature of this global event is still concerning, given I do not recall ever witnessing something like this in my life. It has affected my life on a personal level as well. Things literally due happen over night...I see that as fact.

Because of my health condition...in part, due to benzos/Z-drugs, I am taking what the government officials are saying seriously and trying to do my part...however limited.

Are there people using this virus to obtain their own selfish agenda...yes. Still, I'm trying to see through that obvious factor, and stay informed and act accordingly.

Other things to consider is this virus is not another flu. It's a unique virus of unknown origin, that might be man made possibly. There is no direct evidence to support that it's man made though. People like to compare it to influenza but it is not the same at all. Also, there are different strains of this virus and it is constantly evolving. The version of covid19 in Italy may be different based on the epidemiological data. It’s weird and a little baffling actually the way it spread in Italy. It may suggest it’s a more deadly version. Another thing is the panic it will cause as it gets worse. My cousin works at a big hospital and she said there are no masks left. I don’t even think they have surgical masks for doctors to do surgeries out there is a major shortage. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck and are drowning in debt so they can’t fathom this virus being anything more than the flu but they really should start to worry. I’m not trolling right now. I don’t have to post these messages I really care about you guys and am trying to give you a heads up. I hope it calms down and gets better but we may be in for a potential disaster.

You are way too dramatic. The way this virus spreads is just normal, the way an infection goes over a population is just normal. It is NOT man made and the virus in Italy is NOT more deadly than the one in China. This will not be a disaster. The only important thing is to make sure that the infections won't occur all together in one or 2 months. Thats the only challenge for the health systems. Thats why they do keep sick people away from others and as long as you are in an western country, no need to panic. The way this virus spreads is biologically totally normal and its also normal that most of us will get the virus in the next 2-3 years, but this does not mean we will have the bad flu like symptoms. I assume they will have the vaccination in 1-2 years, too and in the end its just another virus we can get throughout the year, like others. The lack of masks and other things will be over soon, too, when some clever guys find a solution for that or invent anything new. That happens every time a crisis happens. The media only informs us about the negative aspects of such a challenge, but we never get the information about how humans help each other in such a crisis. I know that people who have to stay at home at the moment get a lot of help from healthy people, which is quite amazing. I also see that elder people get their groceries form the neighbors now and so on. Lets focus on that. Get informed as much as we can, but then try to see the bigger picture :smitten:

Awww.. Thanks Marigold.. :)

-Nice post to wake up too..  My elderly neighbour dropped over to see how I am doing and asked if I wanted anything from the shops.. They know im not so well and am supposedly immune compromised due to having no spleen now...

But I actually find the “social” from going out shopping more important than hiding at home atm... That might change at a later date, If I see the need, -or not...

:)

Aww Cant, that was so nice of your neighbor and lately you have spoken more of your neighbors around you.  It makes me feel better knowing you aren't as isolated as I thought, and what a nice guy you are, because they want to check on you.  :)

Mim

🌿🐢🐸💚💚

Aww Cant, that was so nice of your neighbor and lately you have spoken more of your neighbors around you.  It makes me feel better knowing you aren't as isolated as I thought, and what a nice guy you are, because they want to check on you.  :)

Mim

🌿🐢🐸💚💚

Yes, its a nice little community here... Cant complain.. :)

🦄😈☯️🚺💜🌈

See??

Its a good effect of a bad situation - people stick together. I noticed that clearly when I watched the news about a massacre and I saw victims lying on the ground and strangers right beside them. And I wondered where did all the blankets come from?? Someone had to run home right into the house and carry out pillows, blankets, water... This reminded me that in bad situations, of course the media shows us the bad pictures and the rumor is huge - but if we dare to take a closer look, we CAN also see how people help each other and support each other. I think if the media would bring more news about this fact, we would all fear less and cooperate better. Most of the time I do not watch the news any more because the pictures painted from humans are so dark. of course there are bad bad things happening, but the good things are not reported equally.

When I broke my back and had to ask for help no matter where i was, I have seen this as well. People do help. And they do not ask for a favor back, most of the time. They just help because one does it and thats it.

Hugs everyone!

Big Pharma is going to make a killing now with another vaccine.  Makes me wonder.  I sure as hell will never get a Coronavirus vaccine.  I never get any vaccines anymore and never will get another one for the rest of my life.  I won't even get my cat vaccinated ever again.  She got shots when she was a kitten and that's the end of it. 

I found this to be a fairly well written article re: COViD-19 (written by a journalist, Dave Troy, but validated by professionals. I have copy & pasted the Questions addressed in the article & people can read the author's Answers by reading the article:

https://medium.com/@davetroy/why-we-should-care-commonly-asked-questions-and-answers-about-covid-19-6b166f1876e9

"I’m an expert on online disinformation, misinformation, and mathematics relevant to disease transmission. Recently I’ve been answering a lot of common questions about Covid-19 on social media, trying to dispel misconceptions and falsehoods. I’ve compiled a list of the most common responses, with the hope that this makes this information more easily accessible to others. Note: I am not a public health or medical professional, however, I have taken extra care to square all my responses here with official guidance and medical advice.

Q: Why are people freaking out about this more than flu?

Q: Why should I even care if I get it? It doesn’t seem that lethal.

Q: If I’m likely to get it, why not just get on with it? I don’t want to change my routines just for this, and it doesn’t seem that dangerous..

Q: Aren’t other diseases like SARS, MERS, or H1N1 more lethal? Why freak out about this one?

Q: How many people will be infected? Is this really a big deal?

Q: How quickly will it spread?

Q: Won’t this calm down in the summer, with warmer temperatures, like normal flu?

Q: When will a vaccine be available? Can’t we just stop this thing?

Q: How should I protect myself? Should I stock up on hand sanitizer?

Q: China and Korea proved this can be slowed and stopped. Can’t we just do what they did?

Q: When will things be back to “normal?”

Q: Panic seems worse than the disease itself. Should we really be worried about this? Why is there so much fear?

Q: Why are conferences being canceled? Shouldn’t I just go to a conference I am scheduled to attend?

I will continue to update this document to make sure it’s up-to-date and accurate. There are many resources such as CDC and WHO where you can get more comprehensive and scientifically detailed answers than these — I am not a medical expert, just someone good at reading, math, and basic reasoning. These are the most frequently asked questions I have been answering and learning from others about on social media, and I think it’s important we get these answers out there in a conversational way. Feel free to copy or accurately paraphrase my text, or link to this article (preferable). And again, discourage panic and encourage preparation. Together we can get through this. Please feel free to leave a comment here or contact me via email if you see any material errors. Thanks."

This is a YouTube video of the "Whitehouse Task Force" briefing re: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) delivered about an hour ago. It's about 45 minutes long, including a Q & A session:

Video does not play for me.  Don't knkow age of the original poster but the CDC is saying if you are over 60 or pre-existing health  ailment,  go out as little as you can.

I fit into both categories.

But I don't have masks can't get out to do much of anything, even stock up.  What can you do?

Video does not play for me.  Don't knkow age of the original poster but the CDC is saying if you are over 60 or pre-existing health  ailment,  go out as little as you can.

I fit into both categories.

But I don't have masks can't get out to do much of anything, even stock up.  What can you do?

Masks should be left for health care workers and those who are actually sick (so they are less likely to spread germs). The rest of us are urged to wash our hands for 20 seconds and avoid close contact with others for now.

Amazon or other online stores can deliver almost anything you need except fresh food. Local grocery stores deliver too.

To media skeptics:  How do you get news without the media?

People are going to run from me with a hacking cough if I don't have a mask...

Yes I need to figure out how to get grocery apps on phone... I am so non technical now.  Is instacart the best?

Yes I need to figure out how to get grocery apps on phone... I am so non technical now.  Is instacart the best?

Some grocery stores have their own apps.  If you are an Amazon Prime member you can also order from Whole Foods through them.

Oh right, if you’ve got a bug of any kind, a mask is in order, I agree. Instacart works well, kind of expensive in my area. I compared prices in-store and delivered and a couple of $ is tacked on for many items I checked, then there’s a delivery fee.

[8e...]