Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Am I being unreasonable about the Coronavirus??

[ca...]

I am getting into constant fights regarding this virus with my mother. I have no idea what is wrong with her.  I mention the virus and it's instant anger and dismissiveness from her.  She doesn't want me to broach the topic at all.  She has a look of fear every time i bring it up except the fear turns into aggressiveness.  We live in a very asian centric town and many here have gone back to China or travelled for Chinese New Year.  Benzo withdrawal has caused such low immunity in me that if I walk in the cold outdoors or even get a whiff of a virus, im certain to go down. 

She saw me wearing my mask at home, knowing she just got back from an asian market and she went bonkers on me.  She called me crazy and that the sight of the mask makes her uncomfortable. I fought back and said she does not have a say in what I do to protect my health.  And besides if I go grocery shopping myself and contract it while out, there would be a barrier between me and people of this household if I am sick, preventing a spread.  Am I being unreasonable?  Would you guys do the same thing if you get sick at the drop of a hat?  Would you care if it made you look "crazy" or paranoid???

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [te...]

• [Ca...]

• [Fi...]

Hello castillo,

Many going through this process have health anxiety, but I hope you won't let your anxiety come between you and living your life.  We all should take normal precautions when dealing with anyone who may be ill, but we need to temper that with common sense and an understanding of the true nature of the illness, whatever it is. 

If I were you, I'd do my research and find out from you local health department if there are any outbreaks in your area, this should reassure you.  I'd hate to see this cause a rift between you and your Mom and the good folks of the Asian community in your neighborhood. 

Pamster

I doubt this would cause a rift.  But my mom has been calling me crazy since the start of my withdrawals. My mom performs her obligations as a mother and wife like anyone else but during anxious moments she can turn very aggressive.  And sometimes i feel its like the pot calling the kettle black type situation.  Once she threatened to slap the crazy out of me when i had a set back by birth control pills and went nuts with high cortisol.  Even during that moment i had the sense to ask myself ‘who is being reasonable here?’

I think im doubly paranoid about the virus becus i know what news coverage is like. I have Lyme disease and first Canadian government didnt acknowledge it existed.  Then they broadcast its becoming a problem.  Why didnt they listen to us from the start?  And i wouldnt think of avoiding the asian community as I am Canadian born asian myself but from a health standpoint I wouldnt want to put myself in the middle of the eye of the storm.  My colds always become some form of bronchitis, so to contract this would be deadly to me with my rare body constitution and illnesses.

Ps.  Had to modify this.  Forgot to add at the time of writing my post, the virus was in my city.  Two cases.

Not crazy at all. The outbreak is serious and you're right, many people have come to the US during the initial viral spread. I wear a mask every time I go out in public. It's rightful protection for those with weakened immune system. The same would go for people who have received chemo or are on immunosuppressants.

Not crazy at all. The outbreak is serious and you're right, many people have come to the US during the initial viral spread. I wear a mask every time I go out in public. It's rightful protection for those with weakened immune system. The same would go for people who have received chemo or are on immunosuppressants.

This is exactly how I feel.  And I’m sure we are all in a physical state where most of us look and feel very similar to chemo patients.  My mom’s gripe is that I’m protecting myself even from family within my house.  She sees it as some insult >:(. I don’t get why her pride overrules everyones safety!

A potential civilization ending virus is here to start the new year. At least I made it off the drugs I wanted too. I'm taking a bunch of immune boosting supplements. Just hope this virus doesn't cause more brain damage....or lung damage. If it spreads in the US the world will never be the same. Im afraid it will probably mutate into a deadlier form eventually at the rate it's spreading too. All because someone had to eat a bat.

Not sure if I am or not. A young man in China got this virus and died supposedly. So young healthier people can potentially die from this unless that's a lie.

It's spreading extremely fast. Many people were exposed in the US at some University by a student who was infected. Shits about to hit the fan. Not trying to scare anybody. Just trying to warn you that this is happening.

7 infections in the US Those individuals have been well tracked and those coming in contact have been isolated as well. There is a chance that it could still spread in the US, but I would say the odds are low. It also seems unlikely that anyone else will get into the country carrying the virus. I could be wrong China, however, could be a different story

This virus is going to be a pandemic. It's pretty much a guarantee at this point. Just look at how China has responded, it's unprecedented and very serious. We need to be concerned. I don't think it will wipe out humanity but a lot of people are going to get sick. A lot of people may die. It's time to prepare now and be ready. The media, government and doctors are downplaying it. Not sure why this is so hard for people to grasp. Maybe it helps sometimes to be a paranoid person with above average intelligence. Trust me I know what I'm talking about here. It's like nobody wants to believe me either. Literally only one of my other friends is taking this as seriously as I am and he is a mechanical engineer. No offense to anyone.

I guess it's good that I'm never around people much anymore since I'm mostly housebound now.  I have an extremely low chance of getting the coronavirus. 

@[ B...]:(

:)

No comment on where it may or may not end up at this point...

But as to family...

My 17yo son visited yesterday and warned me about it as he knows I dont keep up with news these days... -I found that kinda cute..!! (There were other reasons for the visit too..) I guess there is the fact that I dont have a spleen either, so that puts me in a supposed higher risk category too..

It showed some empathy as to my situation, and while I dont expect that, I would expect some consideration from house companions were I to choose to take some precautions at some point... Even if only for peace of mind while in an anxious or overcautious state... A mask is a far cry from asking everyone to actually DO something like preform hand hygiene or take precautional meds etc...

3 cases here in Australia last I checked.. fwiw..

• 4 weeks later...
Hi! I know this is an older thread now, but i'm sure everybody sees now the rates with which the coronavirus is spreading. How are you guys holding up out there? It is so scary..I'm starting to become really worried, and I even bought a reusable respirator N95 mask from amazon yesterday for myself and for my family. I really hope that it starts to die out soon as the spring gets here, but it really is scary how fast it's spreading and the potential of what can happen if people start getting sick all over, i'm afraid i'm going to be a #1 victim because I've had air hunger and all kinds of breathing issues lately along with bad benzo flu, I can barely breathe as it is. I just wanted to vent and see what else you guys are doing to protect yourself from coronavirus these days? 

I’m glad someone bumped this thread. I’m taking measures as well. Basically being housebound (lol I’m already housebound anyways from agoraphobia) to prevent contact with anyone else. I asked my family to buy a b7nch of food for stocking and also some masks. My immunity is so low that I cough and sneeze with any cold air or wind, so I know that if I get sick with any virus my body might not heal. So I’m being as careful as possible

I’m glad someone bumped this thread. I’m taking measures as well. Basically being housebound (lol I’m already housebound anyways from agoraphobia) to prevent contact with anyone else. I asked my family to buy a b7nch of food for stocking and also some masks. My immunity is so low that I cough and sneeze with any cold air or wind, so I know that if I get sick with any virus my body might not heal. So I’m being as careful as possible

Im glad im not the only one buying food and masks)  it is so scary isn't it  miracle? and all along I have this overwhelming derealization, i already feel like a stranger on this Earth and now with this coronavirus and having to buy respirator masks I really feel as if its a very bad Sci-Fi movie >:(

I would suggest that people who experience flu-like symptoms such as a fever, a cough and shortness of breath to not avoid seeking medical assistance. Although this coronavirus (COVID-19) appears to be very contagious, the recovery rate appears to be very good when properly treated by properly trained personnel. 

Here is a link to today's up-date from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6908e1.htm

It is absolutely insane. I’m not too worried about my state. I live In the US too.

I have dr too. I already too feel like everything is fake, my soul is gone, I can’t even handle being alone, I can’t imagine even being in a hospital with all of my already debilitating symptoms. I’m always worrying about me ending up in a hospital while still suffering, I know I wouldn’t be ale to handle it

The risk of coronvirus here in the US is extremely low.  It's nothing to be concerned about.  I would never go buy a mask or extra food.  It's not going to spread here in the US. 

The risk of coronvirus here in the US is extremely low.  It's nothing to be concerned about.  I would never go buy a mask or extra food.  It's not going to spread here in the US.

I suggest you search out reliable news events & reports:

"Live updates: More infections worldwide as new coronavirus cases indicate virus is spreading in U.S."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/02/29/coronavirus-live-updates/

"More coronavirus infections were reported from South Korea to France to Qatar on Saturday after health officials in Washington state, Oregon and California on Friday reported a worrying development: new cases among people who have not traveled recently to countries hit hard by the outbreak or come into contact with anyone known to have the disease, which public health officials refer to as community transmission.

."

As I stated, I believe people should not panic but they should not avoid seeking professional medical assistance if they experience flu-like symptoms including fever, cough and shortness of breath.

Well, the wishful/magical thinking that the virus will not be on our doorstep has been disproved.

Washington County, Oregon, got its first case last night. Specifically the small city of Hillsboro (5 miles from me). I have a business obligation there two days a week. Sheesh. No one (yet) knows how the patient came down with the virus. It is one of those "community" cases. The woman's contacts are being traced right now.

Is this going to change my behavior? Will I avoid going to Hillsboro? No. But I will do lots of hand washing. And avoid crowds.

And although this is dismaying, I am not going to panic.

So, just reporting in.

Katz

I believe that all the 50 cases were on the west coast and I live on the east coast and no coronavirus here at all, which is why I'm not the least bit worried, plus I never have contact with other people.  I really doubt that it will spread. 

[10...]