Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

In-Person Support

[...]

Has anyone participated in an in-person benzo support group? I’d really like to find one. I think it could be really helpful. Any advice on how to find such groups?

Please note that in accordance with forum rules that this is in no way a request to start an in-person group.

Nice disclaimer.  :laugh:

In the past I’ve met and/or talked/texted with people who were also in the throes of withdrawal or recovery. The main take-away for me was tying the online anonymity/surreal-ness to actual real people. Other than that, this forum was enough support for me.

Agoraphobia runs rampant for most of us for awhile...hard to overcome that issue to go to a meet-up.

;) Thanks, Challis. I understand where you’re coming from. I just think I could personally benefit from a group like the one shown on the Lisa Ling show. It would be great if it was professionally run with objectives and education for each meeting. Years ago there was a psychiatrist in my town who ran a benzo support group. He was benzo wise. He’s now with a hospital and is no longer in private practice. I wish I would have gone to that group.

If you get a chance to meet other benzo survivors in person I recommend it. I have met up with a couple people so far and it was great to connect with them face to face.

I was toying with the idea of setting up a legit support group and got a fair amount of response from just a craigslist ad. Matter of fact that's how I ended up meeting up with one girl I mentioned above.

I'm in a smaller metro area now but when I placed that ad I was living in an area with a population of about 2 million people. In a large area like that I am sure that it would be possible to get at least a small group together to meet regularly. A lot of benzo folks have issues with getting out in public but I would bet that even some of the people who are having a more difficult time would find a way to meet up with others who are dealing with benzo issues.

I too tried to find in person support. I could not find anything except NA.  I went to an AA office and asked about this and got back the normal AA nonsense about turning to your higher power for help. I am not saying that this is wrong, but I am saying it didn't quite fit ME. I don't believe in a traditional God, for starters.

But I did find BB, and truth be told, BB was what helped me get through a really bad cold turkey. Without BB I would now be dead. I know this for sure. Thirty years of nightly benzos came SO close to killing me. I have to live with the direct results of that error: I fractured my right femur, knee and hip in one of my many falls back when I depended on benzos. I will always walk with a big limp. Stairs are difficult for me.

But I AN alive, and happy, and I choose to view my "disabilities" as not preventing me from living a decent life.

Attitude does matter.

east

• 2 weeks later...

I googled it once.  There was one about an hour away from me, in a Chicago suburb.

In fact I believe it is the one that was featured briefly in the CNN This Is Life Benzo Crisis episode by Lisa Ling.

I know a person I see on occasion at work. Found out he went CT off 2mg of xanax a day (4 years). Speaking to him was really reassuring. It's not so much the conversation we had, but just seeing it. Seeing someone completely healed from xanax dependency. It's like seeing your future when the storm is finally over. Also having someone who understands to talk to always helps.