Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I Just Deleted Social Media

[Gw...]

Social media wasn't healthy for me. I wasted way too much time scrolling, stopped reading the actual news, got pulled into superficial drama, and had a chronic oversharing problem. Constant screen exposure and targeted ads only made me even more anxious. So I finally rid myself of the bad habit. Happy New Year!

Gwinna

Yay, good for you Gwinna!  I don't do social media, but I have a serious addiction to my news apps.  I've not watched the news, or any 'news' shows in that time either.  I did this two weeks ago and I feel so much better!  I don't take it to bed with me, I don't fret over things I can't control and the world will still turn whether I'm informed or not. 

Of course, I've done this before so I'm not out of the woods yet, but for now, life is good!  :thumbsup:  Happy New Year to you too, keep up the good work!

Good for you. I'm sure we will eventually start to understand the consequences of too much social media use and overuse of technology in general and I don't think it is going to be pretty.

I find myself getting sucked into as much as the next person. Probably even moreso since I have been sick and unable to form substantial real life relationships. Unfortunately I kind of "need" to maintain my social media accounts for the primary purpose I use them for- to keep my ear to the ground regarding issues that pertain to my business. Just gotta be careful not to spend too much time on there, I guess.

Social media wasn't healthy for me. I wasted way too much time scrolling, stopped reading the actual news, got pulled into superficial drama, and had a chronic oversharing problem. Constant screen exposure and targeted ads only made me even more anxious. So I finally rid myself of the bad habit. Happy New Year!

Gwinna

Congrats!! I cannot handle people who do that social media thing. I never understood why someone would post a picture of a meal or twitter like Mr. Trump what he or she is just doing at the moment... overall I think social media is made for narcissist and people who are unable to connect in a REAL way, in the real world. They just cannot handle the normal actions which happen when you want to interact with people. Like rejection, or fun or maybe not to be interesting. Cause we are only humans and most of the time just do boring things through the day:-)

I also have the impression that people sink deeper and deeper into the websites/apps the more they receive positive reactions - which makes it more dangerous - cause real friends are real and out there and not likes and yeyyyy-s on a website.

On the other hand I have seen how stupid and dangerous those sites become when the stupid crowds are able to connect and build up a force of stupid and dangerous actions - I am sure if you would meet them in the normal world no one would speak out but on the internet everyone has an opinion and does not check out the real facts it seems.

So - you will have much more time now to have a good life with real people, Gwinna. Yu seem to be a nice and wonderful person so I am happy you will share your real personality with the world out there:-) :smitten: :smitten:

Good for you, Gwinna.

I do not Twitter, or FB, Instagram. I am philosophically opposed to both FB and Twitter -- they make stupidity and incivility so damned easy. And they don't bring people together -- they keep them apart. I have two email accounts -- one for business and one for personal stuff, and I resent them. I am going to trade Chrome for Firefox. I am so bummed out with technology! Jeez, Louise. Technology was supposed to make our lives easier, not stress us out.

If this sounds like a vent/rant, it is.

:tickedoff:

Katz

P.S. Now, those news apps that Pamster talks about . . . I need to cool my jets with them. Too much information.  :-\

I HATE TECHNOLOGY.

I think people will regret handing over all their personal info.

I think it has made life WAY more complex and impersonal and stressful.

I hate it that some of your stuff is printed (which it should be), some is in email, some is in text-- it is just too hard.

REALLY resent being pushed into having to use tech to do things at all.

I do go online to see waht some friends are up to and to read news stuff cuz have been so sick and can't do much.  I do appreciate youtube meditations, music, Ted talks.

I think the digital age is controlling people, who don't seem to mind... which is sad.

Great job! I will admit I am addicted to scrolling, but the news made me so upset the other night that I could not sleep.. so I have avoided social media for the last 2 days and I feel so much better.

It is disturbing to see people looking at their smart phone while RIDING A BICYCLE. I see this all the time.

What is so important that you have to take your eyes off the road and one hand off the handlebars with cars whizzing past you at 45mph??? Must be the same thing that leads people to text while driving a car.

Gwinna

Hi Gwinna, are you still free?

I noticed when I deleted my news apps, I had to find other ways to fill my time, I've gotten back to reading novels, it's been great! 

It is disturbing to see people looking at their smart phone while RIDING A BICYCLE. I see this all the time.

What is so important that you have to take your eyes off the road and one hand off the handlebars with cars whizzing past you at 45mph??? Must be the same thing that leads people to text while driving a car.

If you go to a playground you can watch little children play - and the mothers staring on their iPhones.  ???

There are people walking the dog while staring on the phone. I saw a man who almost got hit by a bus, the only reason he did not, was that his dog stopped him. The dog was very annoyed.

I think in 20 years there will be tutorials on youtube how to sense and feel nature again, cause people will be so stupid that they are unable to feel anything anymore.

I've never participated in social media and you know what, I haven't felt left out or that I'm missing something.

I would rather jump on my bike and ride, I'd rather read a book, I'd rather cook something creative, I'd rather do anything else.

I do text, it's a good way to contact my students, friends and family. I don't incessantly text, as I've seen some people do.

I am continually shocked that people walk on the trail through the woods beside  my house LOOKING AT THEIR PHONES!!! Parks & Rec made a super cool, low-impact-on-nature trail for ppl to saunter through the woods and appreciate birds, plants, and animals, but these tech-addicted ppl would rather look at their phones. Walking dogs, walking with toddlers, pushing kids in strollers . . . they're all on their phones.

Yesterday in Bi-Mart I saw a little girl -- she couldn't have been more than 8 -- standing transfixed by her phone. Really.

From my office window (home office) I overlook the natural area and can see Flickers, varied thrushes, woodpeckers, doves, kinglets, chickadees, nuthatches, wild turkeys, deer, squirrels . . . and all the phone-gazers ever see is that little lighted screen. I feel deeply sorry for them. We're losing nature measurably. I guess they don't need the memory of a varied thrush to console them.

It's beyond sad.  :'(

Katz

I think in 20 years there will be tutorials on youtube how to sense and feel nature again, cause people will be so stupid that they are unable to feel anything anymore.

I think you might be right.

I thought about starting a meetup group with a "no technology" theme. We all get together and do things with ONE rule- leave your cell phone, tablet, computer etc in your car or at home.

I  deleted my FB account back in February.  It got overwhelming as I was a moderator on a private FB Benzo Recovery Group.  I was getting about 50 Messenger messages a day after the Lisa Ling Benzo Crisis aired on national TV.  No way to be anonymous on FB.  :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I am 55 years old and have NEVER had Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat.

Never thought was a positive thing for my life.

I do have an email address, and even is hard to keep up with sometimes.

I am 55 years old and have NEVER had Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat.

Never thought was a positive thing for my life.

I do have an email address, and even is hard to keep up with sometimes.

This is great!, the only thing is we miss family pictures but oh well, we can see them other day .