Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Zero percent alcohol beverage

[Li...]

I drink N/A beers from time to time. Some have zero alcohol, some have up to .5%. They don't seem to cause any problems for me. The hops in beer do act on GABA, but I don't believe that every little thing that affects GABA negatively affects recovery. Our issues are a lot more complicated than that. It's really easy to get wrapped up in your head and overthink everything when you are very sick but I try to avoid doing that.

• 5 weeks later...
I started with N/A brews but now drink regular beer with no issues at all.  I am also 41 months off and completely recovered.  I won't drink more than 2 - 4 beers in a 12 hour period though...just in case!  ;)  After you are healed or even during WD N/A beer should cause zero issues.  There's nothing in it that should cause issues?

I don't drink anything at all now.

I was told even "non-alcoholic" beverages have a level of alcohol in them.

Not worth the risk.

Dave.

Some do, some don't. The ones that do have less than .5%.

I haven’t drank since Spring 2018. Best thing I’ve ever done. I’d like a beer occasionally, so I drink seltzer water. Can’t chance drinking right now. Have y’all seen these new elixir drinks for folks who don’t want alcohol but still want a social drink? They have herbs in them, so you should be careful regarding benzos, but benzos aside they look interesting. I’d like to try them for a beer substitute.

Have y’all seen these new elixir drinks for folks who don’t want alcohol but still want a social drink? They have herbs in them, so you should be careful regarding benzos, but benzos aside they look interesting. I’d like to try them for a beer substitute.

As opposed to soda or juice or water and such? Sounds like a way to part people with their money  :-\

I get the N/A beer thing, there are some good ones out there that come pretty close to the real thing, but to me that would be the only point of it- to get the flavor of an alcoholic beverage without all the alcohol.

I have been drinking a fair amount of flavored sparkling water lately but I don't see it as an alcohol substitute, it's just something without caffeine or sugar that breaks up the monotony of plain water.

Not sure why it would specifically be made to make you “part with your money” more than any other drink, but ok. Anyway, I was tossing out non-alcoholic options to contribute to the thread.

Not sure why it would specifically be made to make you “part with your money” more than any other drink, but ok. Anyway, I was tossing out non-alcoholic options to contribute to the thread.

I'm just saying that it sounds like something that someone invented to capitalize on people wanting to feel like they fit in when they aren't drinking in a drinking type setting. Nothing wrong with anyone selling it or drinking it, and since I don't know anything about it I could be totally wrong but I picture it being expensive for what it is.

What makes it an "alcohol alternative"? Is it marketed that way?

Now I'm curious. Got a link?

All good. I’ve been noticing a sober movement lately. I’m addition to “sober October,” folks are now doing “dry January.” Not sure if it’s a trend or if people are tired of feeling shitty from drinking. I watched a piece recently about the “sober curious” movement. Maybe these folks are capitalizing on a new market.  I’ve seen a couple brands, but Curious Elixirs is one I’ve seen often. You’re right, it’s pricey, but I’d like to try it.

If you're dead set on avoiding all alcohol this wouldn't work since it has trace amounts of alcohol in it but kombucha is a super flavorful, fizzy (and usually mostly natural) beverage that could make a good alternative to full-on alcoholic beverages. GT's strawberry and guava are awesome. I very rarely drink it anymore since I keep my carbs to a minimum but I thoroughly enjoy it when I do have it every couple of months or so.

I really like kombucha. I was making my own, but stopped because of the trace alcohol.

Just keep in mind that alcohol is a naturally occurring substance. It certainly isn't good for anyone in large quantities but I don't believe that a trace amount is going to affect most people, even those of us who are dealing with this benzo stuff.

I know from personal experience that it is dose dependent, I can drink a few N/A beers or some kombucha with no problems but I still can't drink a full beer or mixed drink without paying for it in the form of a wave afterwards so I know there is a line that shouldn't be crossed but at the same time I have heard people who claim to have been sent into a wave by just the scent of alcohol or a bite of cake that was made with vanilla extract that contained alcohol.

While I don't put much past this benzo illness I think it's important to look at things rationally and not get too wrapped up in fear over things like this. Some of the same people who think that consuming a tiny amount of alcohol is going to send you into years of benzo withdrawal are taking AD's or other synthetic psych drugs that are known to cause painful, protracted illness similar to benzos.

Caution is certainly in order for all of us but has anyone in the history of the human race ever had withdrawal issues from consuming .5% of alcohol every now and then or even on a daily basis? I highly doubt it. The common saying is that "alcohol is basically a liquid benzo" is a gross oversimplification.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I had half a glass of non alcoholic champagne a month ago  and the tinnitus went up for 4 days. So those with tinnitus must just rather stay away.