Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What are some ways to make money at home if you are too ill to work?

[to...]

[1c...]

Florida guy thanks for the advice and the warning. I'll be careful. In Christmas I have very few classes so l might try to sell something just to see the mechanism. It even sounds fun. I like selling.

Start by checking around your house for things you don't need. Look them up and see how much they sell for, you will probably be surprised what some things are worth. Selling a few personal items will give you some confidence. And don't hesitate to browse second hand stores and even regular retail stores to see if you can find things to sell. You don't have to buy anything in the beginning or you can be very, very picky about what you buy as you are getting started. Once you learn how to research what things sell for and you start to find items that you can buy for cheap and sell for a lot more money you will see how much stuff there is you can resell. Most people have no idea that you can walk into a store and load up a cart with items you can sell for a profit but it can absolutely be done....I do it 4-5 days a week.

I have some jewelry I really want to unload, I'm not even sure of it's value but at least $3000....I've had it listed on eBay and have had offers but I always decline them because I'm afraid of selling it on that site....do you think it's safe?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fl...]

• [va...]

• [Pt...]

• [be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[1c...]

how would you ship it if you are stuck at home agoraphobic lol

do you guys just put little things in envelopes and leave it in the mailbox?

If you set up an account with USPS, they will pick it up.

how would you ship it if you are stuck at home agoraphobic lol

do you guys just put little things in envelopes and leave it in the mailbox?

seriously? how did i not know this and live to this age?

but you have to the boxes and shipping material right? is there a cheap place to buy these?

thanks for al of this useful information btw

I have some jewelry I really want to unload, I'm not even sure of it's value but at least $3000....I've had it listed on eBay and have had offers but I always decline them because I'm afraid of selling it on that site....do you think it's safe?

Define "safe"?

There is risk selling on any venue. I don't know if the value of this jewelry is more than melt value, but if the value is primarily in the metal you can send it off to a refinery and get 95% of melt value with very little hassle and very little risk. Otherwise you are going to have to take it to a local dealer and take pennies on the dollar or you are going to have to accept some risk.

I have probably shipped close to 10,000 packages on ebay over the past several years and I have very few issues.

Yes and no. If you only have first class shipments they won't pick up, you have to have to be shipping at least one priority mail package.

If you can get to the post office you don't have to wait in line and you don't have to deal with people though. Print your labels online and drop your packages off in the bin or at the counter.

[1c...]

Define "safe"?

There is risk selling on any venue. I don't know if the value of this jewelry is more than melt value, but if the value is primarily in the metal you can send it off to a refinery and get 95% of melt value with very little hassle and very little risk. Otherwise you are going to have to take it to a local dealer and take pennies on the dollar or you are going to have to accept some risk.

I have probably shipped close to 10,000 packages on ebay over the past several years and I have very few issues.

Yes and no. If you only have first class shipments they won't pick up, you have to have to be shipping at least one priority mail package.

If you can get to the post office you don't have to wait in line and you don't have to deal with people though. Print your labels online and drop your packages off in the bin or at the counter.

I have sold scrap gold and never had a problem...this is fine jewelry that I'm not selling for melt value.  Like I said, I've had offers but I'm afraid because I've read that if you don't want to risk losing it, don't sell it online.

I've read that if you don't want to risk losing it, don't sell it online.

I'm an ebay seller, too, and I've only had a few problems and none of them concerned getting paid. You don't ship until your buyer pays you -- via PayPal. Once the money is in your PP account, you ship.

And as for the trip to the P.O. -- even if you're agoraphobic (as I was during the first part of my taper) the short drive to the P.O. was great "practice" for me for driving further. And further. So . . . just a different way of thinking about things.

Hope this helps you.

Katz

I've read that if you don't want to risk losing it, don't sell it online.

I'm an ebay seller, too, and I've only had a few problems and none of them concerned getting paid. You don't ship until your buyer pays you -- via PayPal. Once the money is in your PP account, you ship.

And as for the trip to the P.O. -- even if you're agoraphobic (as I was during the first part of my taper) the short drive to the P.O. was great "practice" for me for driving further. And further. So . . . just a different way of thinking about things.

Hope this helps you.

Katz

:thumbsup:

i just have to get past my my own block first by walking lol! thanks for the advice.

I have sold scrap gold and never had a problem...this is fine jewelry that I'm not selling for melt value.  Like I said, I've had offers but I'm afraid because I've read that if you don't want to risk losing it, don't sell it online.

I dabble in precious metals but it isn't a specialty of mine. I do know one thing though, and that is that risk mitigation is expensive. I'm sure there are plenty of places you can sell your jewelry locally but if you want very low risk most of them are going to be middlemen who are going to offer you a lot less than you can get for it yourself. So you have to decide how much you are prepared to pay for safety. Personally I would much rather have the $3000 than pay a "security tax" because I know that in the long run I will come out way, way ahead.

FloridaGuy, how do taxes work for this kind of selling? 

Just like any other business. If you meet certain criteria ebay and probably many of the other venues will send you a 1099, but even if you don't get a 1099 you are still required to claim the income on items that you resell.

The great thing about having a business though is that it opens up a lot of opportunities to reduce your tax burden so I would learn as much about it as you can and consult a CPA.

Florida guy thanks for the advice and the warning. I'll be careful. In Christmas I have very few classes so l might try to sell something just to see the mechanism. It even sounds fun. I like selling.

Start by checking around your house for things you don't need. Look them up and see how much they sell for, you will probably be surprised what some things are worth. Selling a few personal items will give you some confidence. And don't hesitate to browse second hand stores and even regular retail stores to see if you can find things to sell. You don't have to buy anything in the beginning or you can be very, very picky about what you buy as you are getting started. Once you learn how to research what things sell for and you start to find items that you can buy for cheap and sell for a lot more money you will see how much stuff there is you can resell. Most people have no idea that you can walk into a store and load up a cart with items you can sell for a profit but it can absolutely be done....I do it 4-5 days a week.

I don't think I have a lot of stuff to sell. I hate clutter so I really haven't accumulated much. I usually err on the side of keeping too little stuff instead of too much. I know there was something wrong with the way I've written that but I have a problem with idioms and phrasal verbs. And prepositions. And withdrawal.

I don't think I have a lot of stuff to sell. I hate clutter so I really haven't accumulated much. I usually err on the side of keeping too little stuff instead of too much.

If you don't have anything that you want to sell, just go to a few thrift stores and look for things that you think might be worth more than what you can buy them for. Load up a cart or a basket and find a place to sit down or get out of the way and look everything up. Eventually you will find things that you can profit on. You don't have to buy anything, we all strike out sometimes, but if you keep doing it you will find profitable items.

Of course there is a lot more to it than that and there is a learning curve to sourcing products but the first time you pick up a $1 item and realize that you should be able to sell it for $150 fairly quickly, you will be hooked and it will give you confidence. As soon as you sell that $150 item you will know for sure that you can make a business of it.

I don't think I have a lot of stuff to sell. I hate clutter so I really haven't accumulated much. I usually err on the side of keeping too little stuff instead of too much.

If you don't have anything that you want to sell, just go to a few thrift stores and look for things that you think might be worth more than what you can buy them for. Load up a cart or a basket and find a place to sit down or get out of the way and look everything up. Eventually you will find things that you can profit on. You don't have to buy anything, we all strike out sometimes, but if you keep doing it you will find profitable items.

Of course there is a lot more to it than that and there is a learning curve to sourcing products but the first time you pick up a $1 item and realize that you should be able to sell it for $150 fairly quickly, you will be hooked and it will give you confidence. As soon as you sell that $150 item you will know for sure that you can make a business of it.

Really Florida Guy?  :o But I really struggle with the thought of people willing to pay 150 dollars for something you can get for one. Are they stupid? I would have to sell abroad because I really don't think anyone in Spain would pay 150 for something they can get in the Chinese stores. Here the Chinese are the owners of all the thrift stores, but there are many of those stores in every neighborhood. This sounds exciting. Now I don't have time but I'm getting all excited to try and sell something over the holidays.

For people in Germany: If you are living of a "Erwerbsminderungsrente" you cannot earn as much money as you want. Check out how much you are allowed to earn. And with "earn" any kind of income is meant! Ebay selling included.

Really Florida Guy?  :o But I really struggle with the thought of people willing to pay 150 dollars for something you can get for one. Are they stupid? I would have to sell abroad because I really don't think anyone in Spain would pay 150 for something they can get in the Chinese stores. Here the Chinese are the owners of all the thrift stores, but there are many of those stores in every neighborhood. This sounds exciting. Now I don't have time but you're getting all excited to try and sell something over the holidays.

You are a middle man. People donate items to thrift stores. The thrift stores usually try to get as much as they can but they miss things. You find those underpriced items and post them online. The people who buy from you don't have time or desire to visit thrift stores, buying from you is a convenience for them.

I don't want anyone to believe that finding a $1 item you can sell for $150 is an every day occurance, but I do have amazing scores like this multiple times per year. A recent example, I bought two folding stools called "Walkstools". I think I paid about $6 for both. One buyer recently purchased both of them within a few days of listing for $110. I found two 14k gold chains and a gold charm in with some costume jewelry the other day. I think I pad less than $5 for everything. Haven't listed them yet but these items should sell for over $150.

Also keep in mind that every market is different, both from a buyer's and a seller's perspective. The advice I am giving is a rough guide based upon what I am able to source in my area and the marketplaces I use to sell them on. I am sure there are ways to make money in just about every country in the world but you might have to employ different strategies. Even here in the US it varies widely. I am in a decent sized city where there is no shortage of goods I can buy for reasle. People in more rural areas often have a harder time sourcing.

Really Florida Guy?  :o But I really struggle with the thought of people willing to pay 150 dollars for something you can get for one. Are they stupid? I would have to sell abroad because I really don't think anyone in Spain would pay 150 for something they can get in the Chinese stores. Here the Chinese are the owners of all the thrift stores, but there are many of those stores in every neighborhood. This sounds exciting. Now I don't have time but you're getting all excited to try and sell something over the holidays.

You are a middle man. People donate items to thrift stores. The thrift stores usually try to get as much as they can but they miss things. You find those underpriced items and post them online. The people who buy from you don't have time or desire to visit thrift stores, buying from you is a convenience for them.

I don't want anyone to believe that finding a $1 item you can sell for $150 is an every day occurance, but I do have amazing scores like this multiple times per year. A recent example, I bought two folding stools called "Walkstools". I think I paid about $6 for both. One buyer recently purchased both of them within a few days of listing for $110. I found two 14k gold chains and a gold charm in with some costume jewelry the other day. I think I pad less than $5 for everything. Haven't listed them yet but these items should sell for over $150.

Also keep in mind that every market is different, both from a buyer's and a seller's perspective. The advice I am giving is a rough guide based upon what I am able to source in my area and the marketplaces I use to sell them on. I am sure there are ways to make money in just about every country in the world but you might have to employ different strategies. Even here in the US it varies widely. I am in a decent sized city where there is no shortage of goods I can buy for reasle. People in more rural areas often have a harder time sourcing.

Its unbelievable WAHT you can sell if you get your costumers souls. Just look on candles. People buy candles for 40 Euro. 40! for a candle. Why? Its a special candle, made with love, from little gnoms in the woods.

It depends form your strategy and how you present your selling channel. I am too exhausted to do this but for my work I simply do the same, selling "exclusive" things to people who have the money and want to feel special. Thats all. I am not making fun of them, I just say that if one is smart and feels WHAT a person really wants, like in my work its most of the time "I want to buy something exclusive and special to feel myself special", - you may sell anything.

Marigold, great advice. You manufacture candles? 40 euros? Wow. Those people really like candles.

No sadly I cannot do that. It was just an example, but a real example. I know a woman who has become rich with that!

Very interesting. I don't know if we have such a thing as "thrift stores" here. Are these stores with second hand goods? I'll look into that. I'm going to look at ebay to get an idea of what people buy and at what prices.

Very interesting. I don't know if we have such a thing as "thrift stores" here. Are these stores with second hand goods? I'll look into that. I'm going to look at ebay to get an idea of what people buy and at what prices.

If you live in Europe check out about the taxes you have to pay when selling goods before you start! :thumbsup:

Yes marigold, the socialists have just won the elections so they will definitely fry us with taxes. Thanks. We'd better look for candle making tutorials  :laugh:

• 3 months later...
I personally suggest applying for SSDI or SSI (if you are ineligible for SSDI) if you are too sick to work anymore. You must have a MDI (medically determinable impairment) that is expected to last at least a year or you are are DX'd as terminal. You can not use benzo w/d as a MDI. I used anxiety and panic disorder and have been approved over 11 years now. I lost my great paying job of 2 decades bc of these drugs, but the SSDI has really helped a lot. It allows me to focus on healing and taking good care of myself w/o the added pressures of trying to work sick anymore. The process is aggravating as hell and it took me 2 years to get approved, but it is worth it in the end. After approval, it is very easy to stay on it from that point forward. The Trump Admin. just changed the rules slightly concerning CDRs after approval, but the reviews are still very easy to pass IMO.  :)