Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What are some ways to make money at home if you are too ill to work?

[to...]

The last three years or so I've been too ill to work my previous in-person job and I have been living off savings, student loans, and a small but slowly growing amount of money that I make online.  This online money comes from survey sites and article writing sites.  It's really minor amounts of money but it's something and I need all I can get.  Does anybody here have any better ideas for buddies who are too ill to work to make money at home?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fl...]

• [va...]

• [Pt...]

• [be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

The last three years or so I've been too ill to work my previous in-person job and I have been living off savings, student loans, and a small but slowly growing amount of money that I make online.  This online money comes from survey sites and article writing sites.  It's really minor amounts of money but it's something and I need all I can get.  Does anybody here have any better ideas for buddies who are too ill to work to make money at home?

I buy things locally and sell them online, but if I weren't able to leave the house I could source inventory from home by looking for good products that were poorly listed. I don't do that now cause in my case I already spend too much time at home and getting out of the house is good for me, but lots of people do what I do without having to leave the house.

I've wondered this too. The only idea that could potentially work for me is a blog. But then I think about all of the effort, dedication, not sure if it would go anywhere, and what would I blog about lol

IF YOU ARE ON SSI, SSDA (Under 65)

AVOID doing what I did.

Had I Carefully read the SSA dot gov POMS manual - MYSELF, I'd not be all  paranoid over SSDA now.

I did NOT know that Social Security requires a disabled person to report ANY self employed income. There's no "disregard" under $100, ISYN.

US Social Security frowns harshly on Disabled self employment. No special "Ticket to Work" rube will Pitch the Sale of how to RIGHTLY do contract work, carefully explain how to report your profits or record your expenses.

Unless you have a Rep. Payee, SSA has direct access to your BANK ACCT.

Take away - if Uncle Sugar can squirt yer $$ in there, they can suck $$ OUT too. Without a notice (I've seen it happen to other people, student loans, child support, taxes)

All "Online Selling" involves digital payment - So, unless a trusted friend volunteers to open a bank account for my use (I value any FRIEND too much to ask such) ANY payments I recieve would go right in an account Uncle can peep in on any time they want...

If you rely on your SSDA/SSI to survive, Please BE CAREFUL.

LC

so if u somehow managed to make a a couple hundred dollars per month doing online gigs, u probably wouldn't quality for disability anymore right?

Christmas season is on us...you may be able to sell some stuff you don’t need or want on eBay. That’s what I did when I began to recover but still wasn’t up to being out and about unless I had to.

.... a couple hundred dollars per month doing online gigs, u probably wouldn't quality for disability anymore right?

Depends on if you're on SSI (Suplemental Sec. Inc.) or SSDI - Social-Sec.-Disability-Income.

If your Check's under $775 (?) you might be on SSI - my brother's on "i" his check gets cut if his utility bill goes down.  I'm on SSDI. And learned after NOT reporting part time, but needed work ?? I thought I only needed to report if I went over $799 month (mistake)

Be very cautious of any "FREE legal aid". Or financial advice. That falls under "Free Cheese in a Mouse Trap". The $$ for "Disability help dot ORG", state or local affiliates? ALL comes from SSA either directly or "quietly" - They are GOOD places, but must avoid saying anything about Adding income to Disability and still keeping SSD... Some simply say "We can't advise about..." (ethical).

Others? "Ticket to Work" PAYS 'em for every 'victim' they can enlist. Like a bounty. And another BIG one for each SSDI "Lured Off" their income - which will happen @ aprox $1180 a month before tax. (not ethical).

A good place to find info is a wonderful lady's personal blog... unbiased, accurate, safe:

Really GOOD independent SSDA/SSI blog

LC

I’m on disability and work part time. The IRS said I can do this for seven years but have to pay taxes on half of my SSDI....plus my work....

I’m on disability and work part time. The IRS said I can do this for seven years but have to pay taxes on half of my SSDI....plus my work....

What's taxes like on full disability?

I don’t know. I started my job just a few months ago. I’m assuming a very low rate as half my disability is not much. Taxes are automatically taken out of my current job.

Look here - disabilitybenefitscenter.org

Filing taxes when recieving Disability Benefits

It looks accurate. My experience,  IRS amongst the least stressful Federal Agency's to deal with. Website was "normal" last I saw - not dumb-phoned down. The telephone is Answered! By a courteous SERVICE representative.

Conversely, SSA scares the be-jayzus outa me. Website is AWFUL. Just going in to collect the annual "Benefit Letter" it's like visitting a Parole Office  :o

LC

Look here - disabilitybenefitscenter.org

Filing taxes when recieving Disability Benefits

It looks accurate. My experience,  IRS amongst the least stressful Federal Agency's to deal with. Website was "normal" last I saw - not dumb-phoned down. The telephone is Answered! By a courteous SERVICE representative.

Conversely, SSA scares the be-jayzus outa me. Website is AWFUL. Just going in to collect the annual "Benefit Letter" it's like visitting a Parole Office  :o

LC

Good link. Thanks for sharing. :)

Following.

FloridaGuy, you sell local articles online? I live in Spain. I wonder what local articles are interesting for people from other areas to buy online, in case I could do the same. We wouldn't be competition as I'm in a different country. Thanks for the tip.

Following.

FloridaGuy, you sell local articles online? I live in Spain. I wonder what local articles are interesting for people from other areas to buy online, in case I could do the same. We wouldn't be competition as I'm in a different country. Thanks for the tip.

You can sell pretty much anything people will buy. It doesn't have to be items specific to your area, although if you have access to things other people don't you may have an advantage with those items. I sell everything from accessory type items (belts, hats, bags, shoes) to medical products, collectibles, art, precious metals....whatever is shippable that I can find locally for a low enough price.

I sell all kinds of things to people all around the world. Of course things are different from country to country but there are many venues to sell on, eBay, Amazon, Poshmark, Mercari, Etsy, etc. It's pretty simple- I buy mainly from thrift stores, I find items I think will sell and I research what they are selling for right there in the store so I have a pretty good idea of how much I can get for an item before I even buy it.

Following.

You can sell pretty much anything people will buy. It doesn't have to be items specific to your area, although if you have access to things other people don't you may have an advantage with those items. I sell everything from accessory type items (belts, hats, bags, shoes) to medical products, collectibles, art, precious metals....whatever is shippable that I can find locally for a low enough price.

I sell all kinds of things to people all around the world. Of course things are different from country to country but there are many venues to sell on, eBay, Amazon, Poshmark, Mercari, Etsy, etc. It's pretty simple- I buy mainly from thrift stores, I find items I think will sell and I research what they are selling for right there in the store so I have a pretty good idea of how much I can get for an item before I even buy it.

Amazing Florida Guy. I am working ATM as a self employed English teacher, but in summer, Easter and Christmas there's very little work and of course low income. I'll try to start doing this during the summer. I hope I know how to pick the marketable items. You seem to be quite good at that.

Amazing Florida Guy. I am working ATM as a self employed English teacher, but in summer, Easter and Christmas there's very little work and of course low income. I'll try to start doing this during the summer. I hope I know how to pick the marketable items. You seem to be quite good at that.

It just might be the perfect business for someone who has been damaged by benzos. Join some of the facebook reseller groups and ask questions. Just be careful, you have to filter the information. There are a lot of miserable people out there who give bad advice, especially about customer service issues and such. You should be able to get some decent answers about how to get started though.

Florida guy thanks for the advice and the warning. I'll be careful. In Christmas I have very few classes so l might try to sell something just to see the mechanism. It even sounds fun. I like selling.

Florida guy thanks for the advice and the warning. I'll be careful. In Christmas I have very few classes so l might try to sell something just to see the mechanism. It even sounds fun. I like selling.

Start by checking around your house for things you don't need. Look them up and see how much they sell for, you will probably be surprised what some things are worth. Selling a few personal items will give you some confidence. And don't hesitate to browse second hand stores and even regular retail stores to see if you can find things to sell. You don't have to buy anything in the beginning or you can be very, very picky about what you buy as you are getting started. Once you learn how to research what things sell for and you start to find items that you can buy for cheap and sell for a lot more money you will see how much stuff there is you can resell. Most people have no idea that you can walk into a store and load up a cart with items you can sell for a profit but it can absolutely be done....I do it 4-5 days a week.

I've not read the responses so apologies if these have already been suggested, but I have one friend who does online teaching ESL and another who does transcription through a website I think that's called Rev. 

Start by checking around your house for things you don't need. Look them up and see how much they sell for, you will probably be surprised what some things are worth. Selling a few personal items will give you some confidence. And don't hesitate to browse second hand stores and even regular retail stores to see if you can find things to sell. You don't have to buy anything in the beginning or you can be very, very picky about what you buy as you are getting started. Once you learn how to research what things sell for and you start to find items that you can buy for cheap and sell for a lot more money you will see how much stuff there is you can resell. Most people have no idea that you can walk into a store and load up a cart with items you can sell for a profit but it can absolutely be done....I do it 4-5 days a week.

Florida guy, such great advice! I'm really teaching full time now but I dread Christmas, Easter and summer when there's little to no work. I'm going to start over Christmas holiday but planning to really put time into it in July and August which are dead months for me.