Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Heart And Vascular System Effects

[br...]

Hi,

Since tapering I've had three really concerning symptoms: Pulsatile Tinnitus, Palpitations, and Edema. Actually they are all concerning, but these scare me the most. I have read several posts about regular tinnitus, plenty on palpitations, and a few regarding Edema. I really wish I was off this horrible stuff and off of it for several years so that I could distinguish between what are withdrawal symptoms and what is something else that I should really get checked out. I have went to several doctors. They say my heart is good, most of them say the veins and arteries in my brain are good, and they say I have lymphedema because the lymph flow in my legs are slower than it should be. The swelling is primarily in my left foot and right ankle. It also seems like my wrists are starting to swell slightly. I even bought an apple phone and watch just because of the ecg functionality of the watch to keep a check on my heart. I did pick up one afib event since I've had it and a bunch of "inconclusives" that oddly happen when I'm having other withdrawal symptoms like having a tight head. I think a few benzobuddies have mentioned that benzos effect your heart and vascular system. Could all of these symptoms simply be withdrawal symptoms and nothing more? Would appreciate any opinions or experiences. I still plan on looking for other physical causes, it would just be comforting to think this nightmare will simply end once I'm off and have had time to completely heal from this drug. I wish peace and good luck to you all!

[5f...]
If you have been checked out with an EKG and 24 hour heart rate monitor i would stop worrying. Bwd produces some weird sxs because our cns is dysregulated. It will eventually come back into balance.

southern star, thank you for your response!  Your words are very comforting! I've had both of those things and more. I hope that is all that is going on. I can't say I won't continue to look for another explanation just because it is so scary, especially when there is heart disease in my family, but your words give me hope.

Since your doctors have given you a clean bill of heart and vascular health, and particularly since the irregularities you’re seeing coincide with other known benzodiazepine-related symptoms, I’d quit checking the Apple Watch. It’s likely to cause some anxiety, I know checking my BP made me anxious when I was recovering.

My benzodiazepine-related high BP and palpitations went away within six months or so...maybe longer for the palps because I’ve always had a tendency to have them anyway.

Here’s a great explanatory link on tinnitus: Tinnitus: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=106121.0

• 1 month later...
Challis99, thank you so much for the link! It is nice to have an explanation about the tinnitus I have. I do have another issue that is making me ponder a vascular issue. Have you or anyone heard about benzos causing a chirping/pulsing sound that can be heard by another person? It came on around the same time as the tinnitus, it doesn't occur all the time, and mainly occurs oddly enough at night while I'm dreaming. It will wake me up from my sleep. I would be very comforted if someone experienced something similar and it turned out to be a benzo withdrawal symptom that went away after they were off the drug for some time.

• 7 months later...

brokencrystal89, I know this is an old thread but if you’re still active I can relate to your symptoms. I have pretty bad heart vascular symptoms. And yes during early withdrawal my girlfriend could hear this clicking sound coming from muscle spasms in my nose, very strange but you’re not alone. It went away after about 6 months post wd. I hope this has cleared for you by now. I still have the vascular issues some days worse than others. I think it contributes to the nerve pain in legs and face. Take care

Koopa

Hi Koopa,

I appreciate your input. I'm glad your muscle twitching symptom eased off. I still have the pulsatile noise that occurs sporadically, it is very scary, when I hear it. I've only been off completely a few weeks, but have been using Clonazepam a really long time, so I guess any improvement will take a long time. I hope the rest of your symptoms continue to clear up. These drugs are truly awful...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Jo...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [ra...]
    • [2c...]
    • [an...]
    • [bi...]
    • [...]
    • [Re...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [El...]