Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hi. I would like to get off of Lorazepam.

[Ty...]

Yes they have the same half life.  I think the ambien taper is best accomplished with lower dose pills. I don't think the CR ones can be split. You theoretically could do a milk titration with it.  You can also probably just crush the pills and take half or a quarter of what you have crushed.

-Ambien CR cannot be split, cut or crushed.

-Ambien CR comes in 12.5 mg and 6.25 mg for elderly

-Both strengths have a half life of 2.9 hrs

So...go off the Ambien first and then Lorazepam at .75 and then continue that taper?

Seems like the challenge is going to be tapering off the Ambien CR since it can't be split.  

Hi,

What's the half-life of Ambien CR though? Mind you, the CR is useless for tapering, so mute point I guess.

Tyler, you will need a plan for tapering off the Ambien. Since you are taking benzos or benzo-like meds every night, more caution will be needed in your withdrawal than I first suggested. Neither of these two drugs are good candidates for a taper, Ambien CR is plain not suitable for a taper. You will need to talk to your doctor, as you will need more Lorazepam or perhaps Valium instead.

Tyler, just caught you last post. Ambien CR is virtually no different to Ambien then! ::)

I would not recommend that you simply stop taking the Ambien - this is why you need a substitute for it, something you can taper.

Well Tyler,

I looked up discontinuation syndrome + ambien.  It seems that the incident of there being one with just stopping the drug is less than 1%.  But it certainly wold be safer for you to taper off, and that is my recomendation.  If you cannot do the Ambien first because of getting a new script, then start your Ativan taper.  The amount of Lorazepam you are on is pretty considerable. It is equal to 10 mg of Valium.  

OK, thanks everyone for your time, effort, knowledge and patience.

I am going to do the Lorazepam taper, as outlined by Christine earlier.

I am going to try and do it w/o taking Ambien CR concurrently since I never had to take the two together anyway.  I just took the Ambien CR on the nights I was NOT taking Lorazepam.

Hopefully, I will kill two birds with one stone, and after the Lorazepam taper, I will not have a need to take the Ambien anymore. 

If not, I will deal with the sleep issues at that time but at least I'll be off the Lorazepam, right?

Thanks again.

Hi,

You are missing the point. At the moment you are taking benzos (or similar) every night. Why do you need to taper one or the other? You cannot switch from your present situation to one where you take benzos on just some nights. You need to bring down your dose gradually on all nights. This means you will need to take a suitable benzo for tapering each night. Out of the two choices, this can only be Lorazepam, taken every night - you will need to see you doctor. Maybe there is something I'm missing?

Yes, do not take them together, there is no point in that.

Right Colin,

Tyler, stop the Ambien as planned. Then taper the Ativan as planned. You will get enough hypnotic effect from the Ativan to knock you out at night, if sleep is your main issue. With a sensible taper from the Ativan, I don't think you are going to have any problems.  :thumbsup:

XXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

Right Colin,

Tyler, stop the Ambien as planned. Then taper the Ativan as planned. You will get enough hypnotic effect from the Ativan to knock you out at night, if sleep is your main issue. With a sensible taper from the Ativan, I don't think you are going to have any problems.  :thumbsup:

XXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

My last post may not have been worded clearly but it is what you are saying in your post:

I am tapering off the Ativan/Lorazepam and not taking any Ambien CR.

There is a lot of confusion because of the way I was taking the meds but I do understand and will follow the plan.

Thanks.

Started my taper last night.  Dropped to .75 mg

Tomorrow I will ask for add'l. Lorazepam to get me through the plan.  Just wanted to make sure I got it right because once I ask for an amount, they probably won't give me anymore since I'm telling them I am tapering off.  This is how I will do it:

week 1: 0.75mg per day

week 2: 0.50 per day

week 3: 0.25 mg per day

week 4: ???  don't know if I just just stop at this point or go every other day at 0.25 and then stop at the end of the week?

Any comments or suggestions before I ask for my last scrip of Lorazepam?

Thanks again everybody.  Feel much better after corresponding with the good people here.

i would suggest getting 90 - get 30 (1) mg and get 60 (.5 mg).

unless you already worked out your schedule with a moderator i would hold each cut for 2 weeks at a minimum.

and do a 10% of your total dose - but i have not read the thread and do not know what you already worked out.

it is up to the moderators - i do not have the expertise.

you do not want to be caught out of drugs with your back to the wall with in incomplete taper -  so get an adequate dose of 1 mg and plenty of .5 mg which is 1/2 of 1 mg.

I think that's a rather optimistic schedule. Nothing with being optimistic, but most of our members would struggle with a schedule like that. Play it by ear. If a cut hits you hard, take some time to recover. The important thing is to get off, no how quickly you can do it. ;)

Yeah...I don't think I could get that many.  I'll probably be working with twenty five 1 mg tabs.

Also, wouldn't it be harder to move to a smaller dose if you have been on that dose longer?  That's why I am trying to keep them shorter, like 7-10 days instead of two weeks.

Maybe I could do it this way:

0.75.....10 days

0.5.......7 days

0.25....7 days

0.25...every other day

Is it okay to take my doses at night?  That's when I have always taken them but I'm wondering when I stop, will this mess up my "sleep time" ritual?

Thanks.

i saved my dose for early evening as i was able to sleep with out my full taper dose.

many split the dose am, afternoon, evening.

listen to your body on this one - sleeping is the biggest hurdle for many - it helps to drink no caffeinated beverages and have a nice quiet evening to slow down and ready yourself for sleep.

some use benadryl, or calms forte and or a protein drink late afternoon or real early evening.

the first cut was rough for me - the 2nd one was ok - i always planned on a hectic three days to adjust.

if it is absolutely insane you may have to reconsider your taper.  trust and faith go a long way thru this taper/titration thing.

Yeah...I don't think I could get that many.  I'll probably be working with twenty five 1 mg tabs.

Also, wouldn't it be harder to move to a smaller dose if you have been on that dose longer?  That's why I am trying to keep them shorter, like 7-10 days instead of two weeks.

0.75.....10 days

0.5.......7 days

0.25....7 days

0.25...every other day

Is it okay to take my doses at night?  That's when I have always taken them but I'm wondering when I stop, will this mess up my "sleep time" ritual?

Thanks.

Hi Tyer, I haven't read your thread yet, sorry, so hopefully I'm  not stepping on toes here, lol! Just wanted to mention that usually going to everyotherday with benzos isn't recommended. It just confuses yuor physiology.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it already,but you could crush your last .25mg and split it in half, using  credit card, then taking one pile a day, and do that for 7-10 days.  

And yes, it's ok to take your doses at night. The ritual thing does get to some people, including me! What you can do is replace it with something like a little melatonin, or calms forte, and natural anti anxiety supplement. Or for the placebo effect of ritual, you could just have a cup of herbal tea before bed. Chamomile is calming. Or get sleepy time tea by celestial seasonings.

0.75.....10 days

0.5.......7 days

0.25....7 days

0.25...every other day

Thanks.

Hi Tyer, I haven't read your thread yet, sorry, so hopefully I'm  not stepping on toes here, lol! Just wanted to mention that usually going to everyotherday with benzos isn't recommended. It just confuses yuor physiology.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it already,but you could crush your last .25mg and split it in half, using  credit card, then taking one pile a day, and do that for 7-10 days.  

And yes, it's ok to take your doses at night. The ritual thing does get to some people, including me! What you can do is replace it with something like a little melatonin, or calms forte, and natural anti anxiety supplement. Or for the placebo effect of ritual, you could just have a cup of herbal tea before bed. Chamomile is calming. Or get sleepy time tea by celestial seasonings.

actually, you could crush and split your whole pill and split it eight ways, taking 7 piles for a week, then 6 piles for a week, etc. YOu can just keep it all on a big plate, and put it somewhere where kids and animals can't get to it!

I share the same desire to be free of this Benzo Montser Ativan -

I went off cold turkey last Friday because my script was out. I do 1MG three times per day for the past month. By Friday afternoon I was a freak show. Shaking, so extremely nervous that I could barely set still. Never before have a felt like a junkie. The insomnia is intense.

Today, Monday after 3 terrible days without it I got my script refilled. I got 1MG into my system asap. Within minutes all my withdrawal symptoms went away. This is a horribly additctive substance.

I want to taper off correctly and be free of this beast.  If people could share there taper plans that worked that would be great.

Hi,duboiseia , I started my taper at 11 mg lorazapam daily in oct, now at 3 mg daily , not too many problems yet at all. I wish you the best w/ your taper ....mike :)

I share the same desire to be free of this Benzo Montser Ativan -

I went off cold turkey last Friday because my script was out. I do 1MG three times per day for the past month. By Friday afternoon I was a freak show. Shaking, so extremely nervous that I could barely set still. Never before have a felt like a junkie. The insomnia is intense.

Today, Monday after 3 terrible days without it I got my script refilled. I got 1MG into my system asap. Within minutes all my withdrawal symptoms went away. This is a horribly additctive substance.

I want to taper off correctly and be free of this beast.  If people could share there taper plans that worked that would be great.

Hi Debuisa,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Can you start a new thread, otherwise we will end up swamping Tylor's thread. I'm sure you will receive lots of helpful suggestions.