Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hurricane Dorian

[Be...]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fl...]

• [ea...]

• [...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

How is everyone? I think of you and hope that everyone is safe and can safe as much of their houses/houshold as possible.

The pictures I saw on TV scared me..

guinea pig: My dog and I are the proof that any kind of change in the weather has an effect.. hope you can cope as long as the storm is happening.

We in Florida are fine. We lucked out yet again. I know our luck will end at some point, but thank GOD we did not get Dorian.

Global warming.....oh heavens when are humans gonna get this? Bigger, worse storms have become the norm, and luck wont protect any of us.

I was lucky in having a safer place to go, an empty condo with storm shutters and a garage. When I went to find Bear, my cat, and get him into his carrier, I could not find the little guy! Because the news was then downplaying Dorian a bit, I just stayed at home, with three windows NOT boarded up. My decision was based on my cat, for God's sake. LOL!

I live in Vero Beach, a lovely smallish town that allows livestock within city limits. I just love that. You can be at, say, Home Goods or Target and one minute later see horses or cows in fields.

I personally think that barometric pressure CANB affect how we feel. My injured right leg, thanks to benzos, always hurts more when it is going to rain. I don't know the science behind this, but do feel it is true.

We dodged a big one today. A Cat 5 would have absolutely destroyed parts of Florida.

east

We in Florida are fine. We lucked out yet again. I know our luck will end at some point, but thank GOD we did not get Dorian.

Global warming.....oh heavens when are humans gonna get this? Bigger, worse storms have become the norm, and luck wont protect any of us.

I was lucky in having a safer place to go, an empty condo with storm shutters and a garage. When I went to find Bear, my cat, and get him into his carrier, I could not find the little guy! Because the news was then downplaying Dorian a bit, I just stayed at home, with three windows NOT boarded up. My decision was based on my cat, for God's sake. LOL!

I live in Vero Beach, a lovely smallish town that allows livestock within city limits. I just love that. You can be at, say, Home Goods or Target and one minute later see horses or cows in fields.

I personally think that barometric pressure CANB affect how we feel. My injured right leg, thanks to benzos, always hurts more when it is going to rain. I don't know the science behind this, but do feel it is true.

We dodged a big one today. A Cat 5 would have absolutely destroyed parts of Florida.

east

Happy that you are safe and your cat as well. I once saw a movie about the pets after hurricane katrina and it broke my heart.

Actually I listen to my dog regarding the weather. She is the best barometer actually. WE had a very little tornado lately just for 30 minutes and she behaved in such a weird way one day before that I thought she would finally develop alzheimer or dementia because she did not want to go into the garden, put the nose into the air and did stupid noises. Well, after things flew through the air and a tree crashed from the neighbors garden right in front of our door, I thought, wise animals - stupid humans.

Does anyone know if low pressure atmospheric changes affect the CNS?  I am so fried today with this hurricane. It appears to want to skirt the coast so other than power outage I’m not too worried. I keep telling myself it will be ok

hey Guinea pig!

i have been wondering about this myself! i hope you don't mind if i post this as a new topic so others will see it(hopefully)

maybe there's some study been done on it?

i've always had upsets as a storm is aproaching, even when skies are cloudles , but barometric pressure is dropping...especially before tornadoes.

i'msure it does affect our CNS and anmals too, but i dunno of the actual research or tests.

east

Happy that you are safe and your cat as well. I once saw a movie about the pets after hurricane katrina and it broke my heart.

Actually I listen to my dog regarding the weather. She is the best barometer actually. WE had a very little tornado lately just for 30 minutes and she behaved in such a weird way one day before that I thought she would finally develop alzheimer or dementia because she did not want to go into the garden, put the nose into the air and did stupid noises. Well, after things flew through the air and a tree crashed from the neighbors garden right in front of our door, I thought, wise animals - stupid humans.

omg animals are so sensitive to incoming bad weather! they also seem to sense when conditions are prime for one of my meltdowns when the neurostorms start up. they go hide or press up against me or Hubbs. some lady took in 97 dogs from the Bahamas i believe...it was on the news.  sweet lady :smitten:

I’m in an earthquake and tsunami zone...will my cats let me know in time?  :D

probably! lol

if they suddenly disappear and won't come when you call them or offer their treats, i'd head for higher ground :thumbsup:

probably! lol

if they suddenly disappear and won't come when you call them or offer their treats, i'd head for higher ground :thumbsup:

Without them?  :o

probably! lol

yeah i'm the kind of dog mama that would rather die with my dogs too...but on the other hand, as long as they aren't tied down or caged, they will go to higher ground too. then we will be reunited!

Thanks all for your thoughts.

No I don’t mind Nomo,I’d really be interested in anyone’s opinion.  Maybe should have done that myself.

My windows are boarded, gas for the generator, water. I’m ready.  Some neighbors have sandbags but pretty sure I’m high and dry.  We will see.

The beach is getting pummeled and FG made a wise move to leave if he’s on a barrier island.  St Augustine is expecting to be underwater. They have pretty bad drainage systems and high tide is up like FG said.

No I don’t mind Nomo,I’d really be interested in anyone’s opinion.  Maybe should have done that myself.

My windows are boarded, gas for the generator, water. I’m ready.  Some neighbors have sandbags but pretty sure I’m high and dry.  We will see.

The beach is getting pummeled and FG made a wise move to leave if he’s on a barrier island.  St Augustine is expecting to be underwater. They have pretty bad drainage systems and high tide is up like FG said.

This is pretty good: https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/blogs/how-changes-barometric-pressure-affect-your-body

As a teacher of little ones I learned over the years to let the kids run and and play and do arts and crafts on north-windy days.

:o

Hi GP,

I am glad to hear that you are alright. St Augustine was a mess after Matthew and so was so Vilano Beach. I imagine the coast is eroding away. I love Vilano Beach and it is probably no more.

I am hoping everyone is safe and made the wise decision to evacuate. These storms are nothing to mess with.

LOL! I live in Florida, God help me. I am a really good Cat Mama. My Bear cat is truly important to me. All of my pre-hurricane plans included Bear. I would NEVER just leave one of my animals. Nor would I force one to stay in a shelter. Bear is a sensitive soul and would have NOT done well in a shelter.

Nomoredrugs,  I read a book several years back written by a woman who went to Homestead FL after Andrew, just to help stray or injured, homeless pets. Her book was heart rending. I often think humans are really the worst species God created. We have wrecked this beautiful planet instead of protecting it. How stupid is that? We have created our own disaster, and it will only get worse. A Cat 5 hurricane would have flattened Florida. There would be NO hope if that had happened. And due to global warming these storms will only continue to increase in how dangerous they are.

Some of my windows got boarded up. But not all as my landlady is a cheap jerk. Only the front windows got boarded and that was the FIRST time she has done that. But a Cat 5 would have simply taken the boards off.

I am so glad I am no longer on benzos, because I am NOT currently depressed over this stuff. Like everyone else, I am coping and keeping on going.

east

LoL

probably! lol

yeah i'm the kind of dog mama that would rather die with my dogs too...but on the other hand, as long as they aren't tied down or caged, they will go to higher ground too. then we will be reunited!

Moved my tiny house back to my lot yesterday and spent the day today getting everything reconnected. I have to move my office back over and get my inventory moved back in over the next two days. I hope to be at least partially functional by monday but it's going to take a long time to really recover from this. Always knew it could happen but you're never really prepared to have to deal with it.

I really hate going through this yet again. I look back and wish I had moved up North years ago, when I was making okay money. If I could I would move to the Carolinas, but in the mountains. Cooler weather and not much risk if hurricanes. Tornados, yes.

A Cat 5 would have leveled most of Vero Beach. My landlady only boarded up two of my five windows. And only used crappy plywood.

Hurricanes scare me deeply. My part of Florida has been super lucky but that cannot last forever. Global warming will end that, I know it.

Glad you are okay, FG. And how are YOU doing these days? I remember you from several years back.

Can all the Floridians chime in here???

east

I really hate going through this yet again. I look back and wish I had moved up North years ago, when I was making okay money. If I could I would move to the Carolinas, but in the mountains. Cooler weather and not much risk if hurricanes. Tornados, yes.

If my immediate family and the couple of friends I have left didn't live in FL I would probably be making plans to leave. We have a few months of great weather and then it's miserable for 8 months. My heat and humidity tolerance seems to decrease every year. No idea why it bothers me so much now but I don't even want to step foot outside between about March and November.

Last year I moved to an area that is less congested but there is still a fair amount of stress inducing traffic to deal with, especially when the snowbirds come into town in November. Sometimes I want to move to a one traffic light small town and kiss the city goodbye for good.

Glad you are okay, FG. And how are YOU doing these days? I remember you from several years back.

Thank you. I am a fair amount better in some ways but I still have significant cognitive damage so life is still a struggle. Been trying to put my life back together and I have made some progress but it just seems like I am treading water most of the time. Even if I woke up healed tomorrow it would still take years to really get back on track. Can't believe my life turned out like this but I guess that's the way things go sometimes.

I am happy to hear both of you folks, FloridaGuy and eastcoast, are fine. I hope life gets back to a "normal" base quickly for you FG.

It's nice you were able to move things to avoid potential loss of your place of residence. You have put in so much time to have what you have. And to have been dealing with this benzo MESS, while at the same time building your tiny house awhile back, it was a lot on your plate. But you did it! :)

I'm curious if there are others who had to deal with this hurricane too eastcoast. If there are, please chime in to let us know how you are doing.

A one-traffic light town wouldn't be a bad idea.  It would need to have a few stores nearby though.

I prefer a one horse town with a post office run by an old lady whose puts up a closed sign for lunch.

THIS storm was such a near miss, it has made me truly start to figure out how the hell I can leave Florida forever. I never liked it here anyway. Too not, humid and way too many insects. Some of you know how much I detest ants. LOL!

I have no life savings to draw on to do this. That was taken by 30 years of Benzo Brain, a brain that does NOT think well or logically. I made a lot of money years back but lost it all due to really bad decisions. Thank you, benzos. And may you all rot in hell. LOL!

I am going to try to find a way to move to the mountain area of South Caroline. One of my best friends just moved to Greenville, and the rentals there are fairly affordable.

A Cat 5 storm would have levelled much of Vero Beach, due to our huge oak trees and old houses. My building might have stood, but the roof would have gone and all my belongings would be trash now. I might be still alive, but I might not. I know I would probably die trying to protect Bear, my cat. That is just who I am.

We would not be safe in some shelter, and Bear would undoubtedly have had another partial urinary blockage due to stress. And the utter stress of being around so many other stressed out people would have been awful.

I hope I can figure out a way to do this.

Annie (east)

THIS storm was such a near miss, it has made me truly start to figure out how the hell I can leave Florida forever. I never liked it here anyway. Too not, humid and way too many insects. Some of you know how much I detest ants. LOL!

I have no life savings to draw on to do this. That was taken by 30 years of Benzo Brain, a brain that does NOT think well or logically. I made a lot of money years back but lost it all due to really bad decisions. Thank you, benzos. And may you all rot in hell. LOL!

I am going to try to find a way to move to the mountain area of South Caroline. One of my best friends just moved to Greenville, and the rentals there are fairly affordable.

A Cat 5 storm would have levelled much of Vero Beach, due to our huge oak trees and old houses. My building might have stood, but the roof would have gone and all my belongings would be trash now. I might be still alive, but I might not. I know I would probably die trying to protect Bear, my cat. That is just who I am.

We would not be safe in some shelter, and Bear would undoubtedly have had another partial urinary blockage due to stress. And the utter stress of being around so many other stressed out people would have been awful.

I hope I can figure out a way to do this.

Annie (east)

Sorry to hear how stressful it is to be living in Florida. I live where we have to be concerned about the winds due to possible fires spreading rapidly as a result. I have thought where to move to avoid living with this fear and I have decided for now I have to stay where I live...West Coast. You are absolutely right that it is climate change. I have been in this general area of the world all my life(accept for a brief stay in another state) and there really is no where to go without being concerned about fires/tornadoes/hurricanes/flooding...and other unusual/unprecedented weather phenomena.

If I was in your situation and family was not a factor in where I lived, I would be looking at North Carolina...inland area as a possible place to live too. I do not blame you at all Eastcoast for thinking this way.

Oh, yay. I have a hurricane tracker app on my phone thanks to Dorian, and now I find out there is another potential storm brewing in the carribbean with its sights set on the east coast of FL.

I have to get out of this miserable state.

Fg, I am with you on that. I have been considering attempting to raise enough money to get the hell out of Florida. I never liked it anyway.

With global warming, it could be that NO WHERE is really safe. This is really serious stuff, my friends. Weather has changed a great deal even in the last 10 years. All storms now are potential killers, and not just in Florida.

If anyone has any good ideas on how to change this stuff, speak up. I personally feel that when God created human beings,  he/she created the worst species possible. So damn smart we are slowly killing ourselves. WE are the cause of global warming, period.

None of us want to give up the things we currently think are so important, like cars. But cars contribute to this problem in huge ways.

God help us!

east