Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hurricane Dorian

[Be...]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fl...]

• [ea...]

• [...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

The model I saw shows most of the state will be affected. It’s a very large storm.  I’m ready. Hope everyone hunkers down.

It looks like the models are showing it going up the east coast or even off of the coast which would be the best case scenario. They are already ordering mandatory evacuations for Brevard County which is down on the South East coast. The other model is showing it coming up through the middle of the state and going NW. Either way, we are all affected. Like Guinea Pig, I am ready. I just Pray for everyone in its path. Windy.com is a good site to look at. They were spot on with Irma. They also seem to be in line with NOAH. I will be glad when it is over.

Just wondering how many people on this forum might be impacted by Hurricane Dorian heading for FLA?  Hope you'll be ok.

Becksblue,

Thank you for your concern and support. Very much appreciated. Right now, the calm before the storm. It will be alright. We always get through these ordeals.

It's a mess. First we were supposed to get a direct hit. Then it looked like the worst of it might miss us, now it's looking like it's going to ride right up the coast and still be a category 2-3 by the time it gets to my area.

I have done a bunch of prep work but with all of the uncertainty I am having a hard time deciding what to do. My tiny house and my office are both on wheels so I can move them but where do I go? I thought about pulling my tiny house up to Georgia or over to the west coast of FL and putting my business inventory in storage where it should be safe before tying my office trailer down here in town but that's a big risk with the storm heading straight for us. Then as the track started to shift toward the east as it gets close to or over FL I started thinking that I could just pull both trailers over to the west coast one at a time and try to get a spot in an rv park there, but if the storm decides to head further west in the state I could be in bad shape.

I am going to have to make a decision by tomorrow afternoon. I have a storage room and a parking spot reserved but the storage place closes at 5 and they are closed Sunday so if I am going to go with the first plan I have to sign the papers by mid afternoon.

Even if I am able to save my house and my office this is still going to hurt me pretty bad. My business revenue is going to suffer tremendously and it is probably going to cost me $500 or more that I don't have to move stuff around and buy supplies and whatnot.

Yea, it's pretty horrible.

It's a mess. First we were supposed to get a direct hit. Then it looked like the worst of it might miss us, now it's looking like it's going to ride right up the coast and still be a category 2-3 by the time it gets to my area.

I have done a bunch of prep work but with all of the uncertainty I am having a hard time deciding what to do. My tiny house and my office are both on wheels so I can move them but where do I go? I thought about pulling my tiny house up to Georgia or over to the west coast of FL and putting my business inventory in storage where it should be safe before tying my office trailer down here in town but that's a big risk with the storm heading straight for us. Then as the track started to shift toward the east as it gets close to or over FL I started thinking that I could just pull both trailers over to the west coast one at a time and try to get a spot in an rv park there, but if the storm decides to head further west in the state I could be in bad shape.

I am going to have to make a decision by tomorrow afternoon. I have a storage room and a parking spot reserved but the storage place closes at 5 and they are closed Sunday so if I am going to go with the first plan I have to sign the papers by mid afternoon.

Even if I am able to save my house and my office this is still going to hurt me pretty bad. My business revenue is going to suffer tremendously and it is probably going to cost me $500 or more that I don't have to move stuff around and buy supplies and whatnot.

Yea, it's pretty horrible.

Floridaguy,

I would check the morning forecast and make a decision. Windy.com is pretty accurate, but still things can change. If it heads up the East coast, then it might be a wise decision to head west or NW. I would avoid the turnpike or I 75. You might want to head over to US 19. They do have RV places to stay. I know the traffic will be bad and gas may be a problem. At least you have a tiny house. I live in NCF so we are still on edge as we could get slammed. Hopefully will know more by tomorrow. Of course we will. Praying that all will be alright for you.

Floridaguy,

I would check the morning forecast and make a decision. Windy.com is pretty accurate, but still things can change. If it heads up the East coast, then it might be a wise decision to head west or NW. I would avoid the turnpike or I 75. You might want to head over to US 19. They do have RV places to stay. I know the traffic will be bad and gas may be a problem. At least you have a tiny house. I live in NCF so we are still on edge as we could get slammed. Hopefully will know more by tomorrow. Of course we will. Praying that all will be alright for you.

Yea, what if I start moving trailers and I can't get gas? Then I am in trouble. As it stands I have a full tank in my van, that would get one trailer over to the west coast and I could get back, but if I can't get gas here I am stuck. I could probably siphon a few gallons out of my car but my van gets about 8 mpg pulling one of my big ass trailers so that wouldn't get me far.

I am going to try to get a good night's sleep and see what it's doing as of tomorrow. Some of the prep I have left to do will be the same no matter what I decide so I will work on that in the morning. Maybe I will set the cutoff time for the 2pm update. The good news is that the storm is supposed to slow down so I should have all of sunday and the first part of monday to get out of town.

I was going to say that we have more time now. You will know tomorrow and hopefully it will just stay off of the East Coast. Best case scenario. Gas is the main issue right now, so if you do leave, make sure you can get it. Trucks are trying to bring it in as fast as they can.

I'm  sending good thoughts for all of those that are affected by this Hurricane.  :smitten:

Thank you Morreweg! It looks like Dorian is shifting more to the East and may stay off the coast. Still too early to tell, but our weather guy stated it is looking a little better as of now. We still need to be on our toes. You can never tell about these storms. Hoping for the best.

Hi Becks,

I am definitely in that group. I live in Vero Beach, Florida. Half way down the state on the east coast (hence my uninspired screen name). All of us are scared silly. I spent much of the day trying to corral things that could go flying in the winds. Pots of flowers, garden statues, etc. I will have to do a lot more of that tomorrow. My landlady boarded up the front windows but NOT the back.

But one of my customers offered me to stay in her Mothers condo not at all far from my home. Its empty except appliances but who cares? It has storm shutters up and a garage with a hurricane rated door. I cannot tell you how grateful IO am to her. I will decide late tomorrow where I will stay.

I found it truly disturbing that as soon as this hurricane threatened Florida, gas prices went up and so did food prices. God almighty, humans are so awful. Making money off a potential tragedy is just....really disgusting.

So glad this thread got started. Going through a hurricane is awful and it wont be my first time. It is just terrifying. We humans have no control over Mother Nature. Of course, with global warming, indirectly we sure do. But that's a whole new topic.

Pray for us, please.

east

Hi Becks,

I am definitely in that group. I live in Vero Beach, Florida. Half way down the state on the east coast (hence my uninspired screen name). All of us are scared silly. I spent much of the day trying to corral things that could go flying in the winds. Pots of flowers, garden statues, etc. I will have to do a lot more of that tomorrow. My landlady boarded up the front windows but NOT the back.

But one of my customers offered me to stay in her Mothers condo not at all far from my home. Its empty except appliances but who cares? It has storm shutters up and a garage with a hurricane rated door. I cannot tell you how grateful IO am to her. I will decide late tomorrow where I will stay.

I found it truly disturbing that as soon as this hurricane threatened Florida, gas prices went up and so did food prices. God almighty, humans are so awful. Making money off a potential tragedy is just....really disgusting.

So glad this thread got started. Going through a hurricane is awful and it wont be my first time. It is just terrifying. We humans have no control over Mother Nature. Of course, with global warming, indirectly we sure do. But that's a whole new topic.

Pray for us, please.

east

Hi East,

I am in NCFL. I think we will be spared as most of Florida now. I know you will get some of the effects, but I am Praying for you and those over on the coast. Have a friend who is building a house right on the beach south of St Augustine. You are right in that we have no control over these storms, but we can be prepared.

With every hurricane, people manage to take advantage of the situation and thus the price gouging. It can and should be reported. It happened with Irma and it will continue to happen. They prey on vulnerable people. They are very disgusting. >:(. Just know that I am thinking about and will keep you in my Prayers. Please keep us posted.

Hi Becks,

Pray for us, please.

east

Take a look at windy.com. It is a great site and very spot on. It is line with NOAH. I had it during Irma and it was right on. I believe it is Euro model.

What a horrible week.

I got my office squared away here as best I could and tomorrow I will be prepping my tiny house to evacuate. I will be pulling it to my sister's house in Tampa so the house should be safe. Even if the storm ends up 100 miles offshore we will get storm surge, and I am right on the intracoastal waterway (a bay that links up with the Atlantic) just a couple of miles from the beach in a flood zone so we are going to get flooding. We also have the king tide right now, that means that the tides are extra high, which will make it even worse. Basically a flood on top of a flood.

The last hurricane my next door neighbor had 27" of water at his house. Came right up to the floor but luckily it barely made it into the house. If I left my stuff here I would very likely have considerable water damage at minimum.

At least I am lucky enough to be able to hook up and go. Most of my neighbors don't have that option. They just got done bulldozing several abandoned houses that were ruined by the last hurricane.

This is making me reconsider a lot of things.

Praying for you FG, east, Irwin, Dana--all of you. Thinking of you, asking for deep peace in the middle of the storm and for safety--strength, hope, courage, love :smitten:

Been so thinking of you, FG.  And *all* easterners.  May you all be spared and kept safe.

Dana, thanks for mentioning windy.com, it is a great site, have been popping in quite frequently.

:smitten:

Been so thinking of you, FG.  And *all* easterners.  May you all be spared and kept safe.

Dana, thanks for mentioning windy.com, it is a great site, have been popping in quite frequently.

:smitten:

Your so welcome. I am keeping a close on Dorian via Windy. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. So Grateful. I hope FG, East and others evacuated. It is pretty bad. We are about 90 miles West of St Augustine. Too close for comfort.

Praying for all of you ! So stressful for all of you.

Florida Guy......hope you got out of there with your little house, and you are safe at your sisters place.

Gardenia......hope you are safe.    ???

Does anyone know if low pressure atmospheric changes affect the CNS?  I am so fried today with this hurricane. It appears to want to skirt the coast so other than power outage I’m not too worried. I keep telling myself it will be ok