Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help homeless dogs

[Tr...]

Many people just should not own dogs. You need to be a type of human that is able to lead those animals. If you are not, they will request again and again until someone is the leader.

I agree, I don't have a problem leading but it isn't just as simple as making stern commands, you have to train them, and I don't know if I am up to the task with everything I have going on.

Honestly if it were just that I might take a chance, but I simply can't afford to take on any vet bills that might come along. Once you take on the responsibility you don't have the option to say "I can't afford it" if the dog needs care. I just have to get myself into a better situation before I can justify bringing a pet into the house.

At one point the class trainer had to put her hands in het pockets and turn her back, while changing the group commands she called out cos chilli, responding quicker than any of us humans could to her.. It was so funny.. and happend the media was there as part of a BSL story on him...

It sorta went.. oh, hes following my hands.. Then what?? Is he lip reading..?? Then ok, he has learnt english..!!

Reality, they dont miss anything if they dont want to..

Similar with search and rescue, No matter the tricks we tried he used pretty intense thought processes.. like the kids would climb up the ladder, over the roof and hide in a big fig tree, or tru to slip off using various decoys.. like jumping on the back of a motorbike and heading bush.. Or in the dam... sometimes it was an hour or two before we sent chilli looking..

Wish we could have kept up with it..

I remember seeing a show 20 odd yrs ago where they were using Pits as rescue dogs after big snow falls in the mountains somewhere popular for hiking, because they could search without the scent.. Memory training of the trails etc...

Pretty cool this Dogs with jobs stuff..

Many people just should not own dogs. You need to be a type of human that is able to lead those animals. If you are not, they will request again and again until someone is the leader.

I agree, I don't have a problem leading but it isn't just as simple as making stern commands, you have to train them, and I don't know if I am up to the task with everything I have going on.

Honestly if it were just that I might take a chance, but I simply can't afford to take on any vet bills that might come along. Once you take on the responsibility you don't have the option to say "I can't afford it" if the dog needs care. I just have to get myself into a better situation before I can justify bringing a pet into the house.

Yeah,, the vet bills. You name it. Thats a point that is really important. My dog was never sick for 15 years but now in the end she needs medicine and each time you need a vet you pay a lot of money. And you never know.. accidents happen.. I was lucky she never had anything..

And when it comes to training, yes, you are right. You need to act the same way every day and this can be stressful when you are working and trying to be stable yourself...

For me it did not feel like "training", for me it was finally a creature in my house to communicate with me without words - perfect for me.. and she had a relaxing and loving effect on me from the beginning on.. so the duties did not feel like duties all the time. The first winter was not nice though. But who can resist the big eyes of my dog... and so we went for walks and I had to put on 4 trousers because of the cold and the snow.. :tickedoff:

You are so right Marigold! My ex. and I have been dog instructors since we were young. And there is still so much to learn. There is always new knowledge. Just a little general thoughts; I wish that education and courses about dogs should be mandatory.

When we started in the 70s, obedience training was completely different. But now, everything is based on joy. Never hard words, or judgement. And never ever prong collar. And why punish a happy dog? He doesn’t understand anything. And becomes so uncertain. So it has happened so much, but in a positive way.

I remember a dog owner and his golden retriever puppy. The guy hid behind a tree. And then almost scared the poor dog to death. ”He must learn”. But I bought this dog. I couldn’t accept this.

No dogs are born nasty. But poor genes, and bad or none, obedience training can destroy them very quickly. Pit bulls are a good example, "killer dogs”. But they are ”the world’s most misunderstood dog” (Tia Torres Villalobos). Bad boys used them for dog fights, and caused aggressions among very lost and sad dogs. But when they get new owners, then they change and love the whole world -especially children.

If a dog has growled, or bitten, then it’s always ”the dog’s fault”. But what really happened, "is not so important". Then they get angry, and bad people throw out the dog in the cold and the rain. Now I’m almost crying.

So dogs are really our best friends. They do everything for us. If I cry, my golden retriever gets so sad. He can stop eating, and so many kisses. He does everything to make me happy. But we have to understand the dog’s psyche and their signals. (It’s the same thing with cats. When they spins, it’s not always because everything is ok. It makes them calm. Especially when they feel very bad. And maybe are going to die).

So, as I have written, I think that knowledge and understanding are so important. Sometimes, it may be completely wrong. And it’s the animals that have to pay. So why not some form of education? I know, it’s probably impossible. But if I got two wishes?

My poor brain, what have I done! Meltdown, too many thoughts!  :crazy:;D

I like your thoughts Translator!  I have had four rescue dogs and they were a challenge but I put the time in.  It's important to understand how they communicate and their 'pack' behavioral instincts.  Read up on the basics of training and be consistent. Calm assertive energy.  My dog gives so much.  I try, but don't feel I ever give enough back.  My dog has been the only thing in w/d that gave me comfort.  I owe her so off we go for an outing!  It's good for me too!

You are both so right... totally agree. I am happy I could make new friends thanks to my dog, and these friendships still last. A neighbor started with one dog, like I did, and now owns 3 - totally interesting how much changes if you own a pack instead of a dog - but again, very inspiring and lovely.

My dog is black and big and tall - with the spirit of lorazepam. But it takes a lot of time to explain to people that this dog is not dangerous.

The guys who bring the mail and so on into our house adore her. One of them even had a phobia regarding dogs. He behaved very weird and one day I asked him why and he said his therapist told him to go on his knees and hug the dog!!!

I mean, my dog looked at him and his knee fall.. did a sound like "sigh" and just ignored him :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But I do not know if this strategy would work with dogs that maybe, just maybe, do not like postmen at all??

We saw him every day and trained him. My dog is a good trainer for humans. He is now able to talk doggish, doesn't rob into houses any more and is able to do his job without fears. He calls her "my friend" and NOW he is allowed to give her hugs. But she would look over her shoulder to me like "look at him! I did that"

:laugh:

so funny..

I think America is a very interesting country. When I am healthy I would love to make a visit. And maybe move. Why not? A big ranch where we take care of homeless animals is my big dream. I am not alone. We are 7-8 people who have the same future dreams.

I have lived both in Sweden and France. But in both countries, the animal laws are very strict. So there is not much to do.

I am very interested in horses, they are my life. Are horses, that don’t have a good life, a big problem in America?

Just a small question. Sorry if it is sensitive. On the TV they talked about "auction animal factories". Is it allowed? Or have I misunderstood? They did not get to film.

But first I have to be healthy. There is no time to be sick. I have so much to do! :)

Hi Translator,  We have wild horses running the range where I live.  They are protected for the most part.  In a few states the wild horses are a problem because of over population.  I have a favorite spot to watch them a couple hours away from my home. They are beautiful but not domesticated.  Ya can't take these guys home.  The Spaniards brought this breed over 200 years ago.  They are protected by the Pryor Mountain wild mustang center.  You can look it up!  Hope you get to America!  I have always wanted to visit Sweden.  We better heal up because we have things to do!

Thanks for your post DoveLuv. Very interesting!

We can become exchange students! One small problem is that I am 64 years old. But I don’t care about this.  :thumbsup:

After these years of recovery I’ve learned a lot. It has not only been negative. What was previously a problem is now a challenge.

And I experience my life, and the world, in a completely different way. Previously I thought that I was too old to travel to America. But not anymore. If I am healthy I don’t have to wait for death. In the worst case there are wheelchairs! Nothing is impossible as long as there is a strong will.

Does the government have any program to save stray dogs? (I’m always thinking ”straight dogs”).

This forum is so special, and completely amazing. I’ve got so many BFF. I had never been able to do this without you! Thanks!

:smitten:

• 4 weeks later...

Dogs are great because they will never judge you, be disappointed or are thrilled when you come home. Same with cats. My dogs have been a lifesaver during my taper. It’s like they understand when my human relations don’t or won’t. Every Thursday afternoon the two of us go to a skill nursing facility to visit with the residents. He’s a certified therapy dog. Each time we go there are more and more people waiting for us.

Many miss the dogs they once had. To see the delight on their faces is worth every mile. Actually they do my a huge favor as they make me feel great 👍. Nothing like giving back to all you have. Someday we might all be like this. Last Thursday we had about 35 residents. Who knows tomorrow? I can’t wait to find out. And my dog loves the attention. It’s win-win all the way.

Dogs are great because they will never judge you, be disappointed or are thrilled when you come home. Same with cats. My dogs have been a lifesaver during my taper. It’s like they understand when my human relations don’t or won’t. Every Thursday afternoon the two of us go to a skill nursing facility to visit with the residents. He’s a certified therapy dog. Each time we go there are more and more people waiting for us.

Many miss the dogs they once had. To see the delight on their faces is worth every mile. Actually they do my a huge favor as they make me feel great 👍. Nothing like giving back to all you have. Someday we might all be like this. Last Thursday we had about 35 residents. Who knows tomorrow? I can’t wait to find out. And my dog loves the attention. It’s win-win all the way.

That is lovely!!

My dog has its own groupies. Every day she waits at the fence in front of the house to welcome first the kids, going to school, then the elder ladies walking to the bus. If my dog is not in the garden,, ready to give hugs and talk to the disabled people, - they would ring the bell and ask if my dog is fine.

When my dog was in the hospital for 2 days, babies were crying because they thought she would die "because grandpa was old, too, and he went to the hospital and never came back". Will be hard for the hole town when my old dog finally leaves us.

Its so interesting how they communicate, right?

Exactly. And translator, in many instances the government pays ranchers to take care of wild horses. The dogs and cats are local towns and rely heavily on donations and volunteers.

THIS old warrior is a Cat Person through and through. I don't know why but I have always related so much better to cats. I grew up with both dogs and cats and always preferred the cats. "Dog Smell" still makes me a bit nauseous! My family had a Springer Spaniel dog, a cute but really dumb dog. The cat was female and un neutered because way back then (1950s), neutering was not routinely done. That poor Mama Cat had litter after litter of kittens.

It doesn't matter which you prefer, because animals can offer us incredible comfort. A special cat got me through the last year of bwd, by sleeping on my tummy every night. I couldn't sleep much so I petted him. He purred and I was comforted. He died from a severe inflammatory bowel disease several years ago. I still miss Oreo. But now I have Jackie Bear, this enormous gray  black tabby cat with huge eyes and a heart as big as the ocean. He is completely bonded only to me. He is devoted to me, grateful, and I am extremely glad he chose me.

east

Lol, My dogs are being big brave hunters.. -Mouse hunters that is... Its so funny watching the seriousness of it all, and im sure the mouse ran out the door ages ago... :)

Lol, My dogs are being big brave hunters.. -Mouse hunters that is... Its so funny watching the seriousness of it all, and im sure the mouse ran out the door ages ago... :)

:laugh: :laugh:  I can just see that... :)

Cant

you’re scaring me lol 😂

lol, its still going... Peppa is glaring at the fish tanks it ran behind, then sticks her head in a gap and tries to snort it out...

:)

I see Bets is scared of mice..  -Dont worry it will take a while to get to your place... :)

lol, its still going... Peppa is glaring at the fish tanks it ran behind, then sticks her head in a gap and tries to snort it out...

:)

I see Bets is scared of mice..  -Dont worry it will take a while to get to your place... :)

And 🐍 snakes. They really scare me. I hope you got some much needed sleep mate. :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

Dog breed? I have a Golden Retriever, and a Staff. But they are with my ex. My Golden is 12 years old, so I'm so sad I can't meet him. I am too sick. I'm waiting and waiting.

• 5 months later...

There are many worthy organizations you can send money to, my favorite happens to be in my home state but they are an international organization in that they go to other countries when help is needed.

My daughter and I spent a week at their sanctuary a few years ago helping to care for the animals in their care, it was a wonderfully fulfilling experience.  It is Best Friends Animal Society and I highly recommend them.  https://bestfriends.org/