Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Water Retention and Swelling...anyone??!

[...]

I’ve been off of Klonopin for months now but this water retention and swelling is horrible. Feels like my skin is burning when it happens. A few times it has drastically improved overnight. Please respond if you’ve dealt with similar symptoms and what helped. Thanks!

Yes. I sure did have that symptom. However, because you mention swelling/water retention I have to ask you check with your physician. It is called edema and can be a symptom of various health problems. I had what is called formication, like hundreds of insects were crawling all over me. UGH! I also had itching, skin feeling hot or too cold, and a bunch of other weird skin stuff. That IS normal when one goes off benzos by any means or ways. This stuff eventually goes away, and all you have to do is just hang on and ride it out.

east

Yes. I sure did have that symptom. However, because you mention swelling/water retention I have to ask you check with your physician. It is called edema and can be a symptom of various health problems. I had what is called formication, like hundreds of insects were crawling all over me. UGH! I also had itching, skin feeling hot or too cold, and a bunch of other weird skin stuff. That IS normal when one goes off benzos by any means or ways. This stuff eventually goes away, and all you have to do is just hang on and ride it out.

east

I have all of this...the edema & that formication (first I've learned word for this nightmare sx!)  Well, could be pruritus.  All I know is I'm always itchy.  On top of the nerve pain.  Skin is dry; no matter how much or what type moisturizer I apply, I feel it's not being absorbed.  When I'm awake I'm constantly scratching.  Constantly in pain.  Only relief is sleep, but when I do get that relief, it's not good quality, restorative sleep.  3 months' out, post-jump (please see signature line/history).  I'm getting worse, not better...anybody?  :(  Ride it out ~ how long??!  There are days I just feel like banging my head into a wall to knock myself unconscious (only thing that keeps me from doing so, is b/c I feel I'd only end up w/a concussion on top of everything else & still no relief!)  Having had a concussion in the past, I definitely don't need that dizziness on top of all other post-w/d sxs.  Feeling very distressed.  I was put on ativan for pain management; not for anxiety issues - those only developed once tolerance w/d had begun (which I only realized that's what it was, once I'd read up & begun solo self-taper). 

Apparently, formication is also related to fibromyalgia ~ which I was diagnosed with about a decade before being prescribed ativan for a different pain situation, so I'm certain that having the ativan in my system kept that in check for many years & I'm experiencing that so much worse now.  I feel trigger points in my left thigh.  The edema I did end up going to ER for (after several months' time).  No DVT blood clot, which is the concern that pushed me to go to the ER (as I loathe & mistrust doctors now).  And, I've done so much research here & elsewhere online & in books, that I attribute anything new to being w/d sxs, as I've seen so often, bbs running from 1 doctor to another & having so many tests, w/all coming back negative.  I want no part of that treadmill.

Throughout this horror, I've been able to keep myself from posting when I'm in particularly bad way.  Of late, I am posting more in distressed state, but I'm not seeing any other posts or replies to any of mine w/anyone else having worsening sxs ~ which makes me feel even more isolated than I already am....please, anyone?

I’ve been off of Klonopin for months now but this water retention and swelling is horrible. Feels like my skin is burning when it happens. A few times it has drastically improved overnight. Please respond if you’ve dealt with similar symptoms and what helped. Thanks!

Don’t worry, I had this while in tolerance withdrawal & the first few months after my CT. My feet & hands got the worst of it but one time my entire face swelled up. It has all completely subsided tho, & I’m sure it will for u too. Hang in there, all the best.

Did exercise make this better or worse for anyone? I used to love working out and going on runs. Now the running may make me feel better mentally but seems to really aggravate the swelling symptoms. I’m really curious if anyone has dealt with this and worked through it?

• 3 years later...

Did exercise make this better or worse for anyone? I used to love working out and going on runs. Now the running may make me feel better mentally but seems to really aggravate the swelling symptoms. I’m really curious if anyone has dealt with this and worked through it?

I have a lot of water retention too and moving is aggravate swelling - it increases when I walk and run and does not decrease during 5-7 days.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ro...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [Po...]
    • [fr...]
    • [El...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [...]
    • [ra...]