Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help, I invited a hacker to my computer??? What do I do now?

[Sa...]

The first time I used my new laptop last week, I fell for a hacker!  Should I restore it to factory settings or hire a tech person to help me?  I’m lost!  HELP.

How do you know for sure your system has been hacked?

I would do the following

- Backup all important files on a backupdisk, then scan these for viruses / rootkits / malware etc.

- Deep format disk and clean install operating system because you don't know what the hacker has done, maybe installed a backdoor somewhere / rootkit.

- Fully update OS and install an antivirus, enable windows firewall if you are using windows, install anti-malware scanner.

- Install firefox or chromeOS and load it with anti-script add on etc.

I think that's the basics.

Nick,

Thank you!  First time I used it, I logged into a bogus website.  It said WARNING you have a virus ... I fell for it, called the 800 number.  After entering my computer the guy wanted a credit card or check I told him I may have been stupid enough to call him, let him remotely access my computer, but I was not giving him a credit card or check (he hung up).  I called back and number no longer works.  Then I realized it was not Microsoft :(

I’m sure there is bad stuff on computer.  I guess I need local help as this is way over my head. 

Thanks again.

Yes, better get some local help.

Have you rebooted your computer yet? Sometimes these scammers lock your computer with a master password so after rebooting you can't get in until you've paid them.

Sometimes they install a trojan or other way to get back into your computer without you knowing.

Or maybe encrypt certain files with a password which they will only release after you have paid ransom.

Maybe nothing of the above has been done, but better disconnect the computer from the internet, backup important files and hire some local tech help to sort it out for you.

Thank you, Nick.

I turned my computer off and have not touched it.  I’m concerned about what he may have left behind.  I will find local help.

SS