Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sensory overload

[...]

Need some input. I seem to be getting somewhat back to my baseline generalized anxiety although it’s still worse. I’m still having a absolute inability to go into stores, I instantly get sensory overload. When in stores it’s not “agorophobia” it’s complete sensory overload that I developed 6 months before tapering. I’m starting to wonder if it’s even related to Ativan at all? Out of the hundreds of members on this website I havent heard of anyone talk about this. 2 ex. I want to give, yesterday I was outside with my kids in the bright outside it had snowed and was cold. Being outside for 3 mins and I was so dizzy and off feeling. I come back inside and was in a dp/dr, off, dizzy funk all day. I think it was just too much on my brain. Couldn’t function. Come on i mean really? Just from being exposed to the bright and coldness? Next ex. A few weeks ago (don’t go out much) went to a kids clothing store that’s closing, only person in there and instantly after walking in I feel irritable, can’t concentrate, brain feels like it could seize any minute that’s how it felt. Like I couldn’t process anything. My brain felt like it was honestly misfiring, very uncomfortable feeling. I don’t understand all this and I’m honestly wondering if this sensory overload has anything to do with wd anymore nor can I live like this much longer. I’m a shell of the person I once was. I used to go go go do do do and now I can’t go to a grocery store because at 10 months off it’s simply to much. Please if you had this sensory stuff and it went away let me know. There are only a few stories of it on B.B.

I'm sure what you are going through is related to withdrawal. The past week at work has been horrible for me too but I wouldn't necessarily call it sensory overload. I am noticing a weird pressure around my head and a pain in my temples. It feels like I could fall over or have a seizure at any moment. I haven't yet. It has been so bad the past week that I can't focus on anything else but the weird pressure in my head and my temples. My vision is also really bad during this too. I think, for me anyway, these feelings are related to the stress that I feel because of work. And I'm wondering how much longer I can work because I feel much better when not working. I feel so flustered at work every day and can only do the bare minimum.

I am sure your symptoms intensify because you are stressed out about going to places. I know mine are because I have to go to work.

I can relate to this.

This "sensory overload" or whatever it is, is debilitating and really uncomfortable. At times, it can be downright terrifying, especially when you're alone. You feel as though you might seize (fortunately, I have not had a seizure yet). Pressure/tension in your head. Intense anxiety. DP/DR intensifying. Strong sensitivity towards light, and especially sound. Your nervous system feels "naked", as though you were an exposed nerve.

Going to stores, family gatherings, open places etc. definitely triggers this cluster of symptoms. DP/DR+sensory overload.

You said you're 10 months off? That's about when the intense DP/DR and sensory overload became a lot stronger for me. I'm almost 17 months off.

I always talk about this, it’s horrible and this IS the reason I have agoraphobia. To write it out yes I do have agoraphobia BUT mine is because of all the symptoms you explain and I can’t cope with it, it brings me too much anxiety. So in reality I don’t have the fear of going outside I have the fear of having these symptoms and not being home the only difference between you and I is that you don’t let this defeat you and you actually go outside and I applaud you for that Great job for tolerating it. But I simply can’t unless in TINY doses. It scares me that summer is coming because I can’t like put a hood on and a coat to feel “protected” ... I hope healing is soon for both of us God bless

For a while I had a big problem going to restaurants and stores. The background noise and the lights and the people were too chaotic  and created a lot of agitation.  I found that using earplugs and wearing light sensitivity glasses has helped a lot. You may want to also try wearing a baseball cap. These things can help reduce the stimulus to your nervous system. I am now doing a lot better but I still have some sensitivity to loud noises.  It IS With drawl. If you were able to do these things before the benzo’s, then you will be able to do them again. You will heal. Just give it time

[08...]

Yep restaurants and stores are STILL very hard to endure, all the people and the spaces and visual detail, i guess its all too much.

after all this time, and its still so hard to "get out there" which is the number 1 thing everyone clueless always says about this, "oh, you just need to 'get out there'"

yeah, okay...

Im surprised no one mentiomed this to you. It's a big issue for most. Like it'll come and go. But for the most part stays for me.

Im surprised no one mentiomed this to you. It's a big issue for most. Like it'll come and go. But for the most part stays for me.

I know I am still early coming out of this, but the agoraphobia is absolutely wicked.  I feel so helpless because of it.  I know I need to get out.....and to do so during the day.....yeah, right -- that is when we are waving and when the worst of this sh!t is going on. 

This is like being prisoner in your own body, no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm in non-functioning state for year & 1/2...what I'd originally thought was just a reluctance of social gatherings, as it started w/larger events, i.e. weddings, funerals, turning to just not wanting to go out at all.  With internet services, anything can be ordered in.  There's grocery & food delivery services.  While this has been lifeboat, it's also not giving me any incentive to get back out there.  Well, I also currently can't even entertain that notion, as I'm in a world of pain 24/7. 

In that time period, I've only seen food delivery people, my mailcarrier & 1 friend - I don't encourage visits - & a neighbor who has 2 dogs.  Dogs & me are like peanut butter & jelly! :smitten: They'll cry to come see me.  So, she'll ring my doorbell & if I don't answer, she'll persist & continue knocking...

That's what occurred today.  I wasn't going to answer, but it is nice out, sunny & warm.  I haven't seen them in, probably, a month, so I did go to door...got my coat & went outside w/'em.  I stayed out w/them outside & then back @ their house.  I was outside my own home for 2 hours!!  As I type this, it's yet another out-of-body experience as it sounds so wildly unusual that this would be an extraordinary feat & yet it is.  What's so (additionally) odd is that I felt sensory overload.  It did feel good to feel sunshine & fresh air, but it's also odd sensations.  Did feel some dizziness (which does come & go) & a little lightheaded. 

It's all so strange.  Loved ones always ask "so when 'r we gonna see ya".  So tired of trying to explain this situation.  Just this past week, it's occurred twice, yet again.  I flat out told them, it's not likely anytime soon: That just isn't my present reality & it may not be for a long time to come.  They'll probably ask again, next conversation.  I don't even think it's them just being obtuse.  I think our loved ones are scared of the situation & scared for us. 

Anyway, anybody going to a store...big kudo's to you!!!  Give yourselves a huge Pat on the Back!  :thumbsup:  (This is so weird, too.  Just several years ago, I'd actually been encouraging that same neighbor to do that herself, after a life-changing event in her life.  In retrospect, 3 years seems like a different lifetime ago.)  Congratulations to all here, for getting to the other side & best wishes for good CNS healing. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm in non-functioning state for year & 1/2...what I'd originally thought was just a reluctance of social gatherings, as it started w/larger events, i.e. weddings, funerals, turning to just not wanting to go out at all.  With internet services, anything can be ordered in.  There's grocery & food delivery services.  While this has been lifeboat, it's also not giving me any incentive to get back out there.  Well, I also currently can't even entertain that notion, as I'm in a world of pain 24/7. 

In that time period, I've only seen food delivery people, my mailcarrier & 1 friend - I don't encourage visits - & a neighbor who has 2 dogs.  Dogs & me are like peanut butter & jelly! :smitten: They'll cry to come see me.  So, she'll ring my doorbell & if I don't answer, she'll persist & continue knocking...

That's what occurred today.  I wasn't going to answer, but it is nice out, sunny & warm.  I haven't seen them in, probably, a month, so I did go to door...got my coat & went outside w/'em.  I stayed out w/them outside & then back @ their house.  I was outside my own home for 2 hours!!  As I type this, it's yet another out-of-body experience as it sounds so wildly unusual that this would be an extraordinary feat & yet it is.  What's so (additionally) odd is that I felt sensory overload.  It did feel good to feel sunshine & fresh air, but it's also odd sensations.  Did feel some dizziness (which does come & go) & a little lightheaded. 

It's all so strange.  Loved ones always ask "so when 'r we gonna see ya".  So tired of trying to explain this situation.  Just this past week, it's occurred twice, yet again.  I flat out told them, it's not likely anytime soon: That just isn't my present reality & it may not be for a long time to come.  They'll probably ask again, next conversation.  I don't even think it's them just being obtuse.  I think our loved ones are scared of the situation & scared for us. 

Anyway, anybody going to a store...big kudo's to you!!!  Give yourselves a huge Pat on the Back!  :thumbsup:  (This is so weird, too.  Just several years ago, I'd actually been encouraging that same neighbor to do that herself, after a life-changing event in her life.  In retrospect, 3 years seems like a different lifetime ago.)  Congratulations to all here, for getting to the other side & best wishes for good CNS healing. 

I’m struggling with avoidance of anything mildly stimulating at present, when I can. I don’t know if this is conducive to my healing. I do miss being able to SIT STILL & RELAX. :(

Yes I have sensory overload. I'm ok with stores but it could happen in a store. It comes and goes with me. Its like all the noises around me suddenly get overwhelming. If someone is talking or music is playing it seems to go right into my brain. Usually I'm ok driving during the day but I've been playing around with coffee because I miss it and I drank some this morning and got on the highway. My bf was just talking normally to be while driving but it was impossible to listen to and I had full sensory overload. I really felt like I was gonna crash the car like I was driving with the control of playing a video game and usually I love driving and I'm good at it.

I know coffee makes my sensory overload worse in general. It makes me close in on myself sort of so I just sit closed off with my surroundings kind of jabbing at me. I just miss my old self so much I keep trying it.

I also keep saying I feel like a shell of my old self.

Sadly but luckily it's all w/d and hopefully we will see our true selves again.

Yes I have sensory overload. I'm ok with stores but it could happen in a store. It comes and goes with me. Its like all the noises around me suddenly get overwhelming. If someone is talking or music is playing it seems to go right into my brain. Usually I'm ok driving during the day but I've been playing around with coffee because I miss it and I drank some this morning and got on the highway. My bf was just talking normally to be while driving but it was impossible to listen to and I had full sensory overload. I really felt like I was gonna crash the car like I was driving with the control of playing a video game and usually I love driving and I'm good at it.

I know coffee makes my sensory overload worse in general. It makes me close in on myself sort of so I just sit closed off with my surroundings kind of jabbing at me. I just miss my old self so much I keep trying it.

I also keep saying I feel like a shell of my old self.

Sadly but luckily it's all w/d and hopefully we will see our true selves again.

I hope so too. I miss coffee as well. And the old me, so so much. Whoever that was. I don’t know that I remember much anymore.

I can remember feeling really disoriented when walking the aisles in a supermarket. 

Disorientation as well as all the cans and goods for sale looking completely absurd. 

It's improved for me. 

Dee

I can remember feeling really disoriented when walking the aisles in a supermarket. 

Disorientation as well as all the cans and goods for sale looking completely absurd. 

It's improved for me. 

Dee

This happens to me, too. Stores are still overwhelming to me. I remember when I was first out, and I went to buy some food......I think I dissociated in the store. I was walking around the aisles, and it got to the point where I got so overwhelmed and scared that I felt like I was just walking in circles and I couldn’t read any of the labels I was seeing in the store shelves.

Woke up in a wave, covered in sweat. Nightmare about ex......the person who is one of the big reasons I went to the doctor and was ensuingly prescribed benzodiazepine.

I would cry now, but the tears won’t come out at the moment. One of those sorts of waves.

So incredibly tired of this. So, so sick.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Lo...]
    • [Fa...]
    • [...]
    • [Kr...]
    • [Es...]
    • [Pa...]
    • [Sh...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [gu...]
    • [te...]
    • [Li...]