Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Music/Psycheldic's LSD/Schedule I drugs (Fun?) vs. Schedule IV (Hell)!

[Cu...]

Hi,

Hope I'm posting this in right place :-\ ..I was recently listening to Oasis' Dig Out Your Soul CD, which has been categorized as their most "psychedelic" release.  I don't find it to be that in its' entirety, but there are a couple of songs which are.  Mostly it's psychedelic like their fellow Manchester, UK  band The Charlatans (who, like The Verve I think mainly did mushrooms)  Not much like (current) psych. throwback bands, Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Black Angels (who both kinda freak me out) :P

Anyway, this led me to mosey around & to google top psychedelic songs of all time.  I usually think of Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy" when I think of psychedelic music.  All of this brought me to a clip of Stevie Winwood & Traffic performing "Dear Mr. Fantasy" live in concert in 1972.  Well, as soon as the clip opened, could plainly see his eyes were bugging out of his head!  I remember people always saying to look at his/her pupils.  I didn't come up in hippie days; I was after that.  There were street drugs around; access would've been relatively easy, but I don't remember seeing anybody with pupils looking like that.  I did have someone joking they had a tab of acid they were going to put in my Coke (a-Cola) & my getting :tickedoff:  I have such a distinct memory of that b/c I did fear acid.  Imprinted on my memory was seeing the TV movie "Go Ask Alice" & it scared the crap out of me as far as psychedelic's my whole life.  :o  so the movie did serve its' purpose!  What I recall is there being a bunch of tripped out teenagers at a party & I imagine some were having bad "trips" & maybe they even depicted someone jumping off a roof. 

What I can't help but wonder, especially after seeing this clip of Stevie Winwood, why LSD was ever made illegal(??) & now, in 2018, benzo's are still legal & physicians are still prescribing like crazy!!! >:(  S.W.'s performing the song and giving an outstanding performance!  The drug isn't impacting his abilities or functioning at all, when I'm barely able to get out of bed :sick::tickedoff:  So many creative artists did take LSD.  And, yes, I'm aware lots of young musicians did die; there's even a "27" club, b/c so many died by the time they were 27, but not from LSD/acid.  Usually, it was a combination of alcohol & something else, often some type sleeping pill.  Not "27-club" - In the case of River Phoenix some type of speedball cocktail o/d..Heath Ledger an o/d from deadly cocktail of sleep/pain meds & benzo.  Even after Chris Cornell's 2017 suicide & his wife bringing public attention to ativan & blaming his death on it-I'd thought more would be happening by now as far as media attention to the benzo epidemic but no, not yet. 

I've read Steve Nicks battled her longstanding cocaine addiction, which she'd come out the other end after a stint in rehab, only for well-meaning friends who thought she'd relapse suggesting she see a psychiatrist who put her on klonopin & she battled that dependency for almost a decade!!  Again, w/Chris Cornell, he'd had a long history of street drug addiction from a very early age, then alcoholism and then opoids!!!  He got through all that & wasn't doing Anything, when he'd sustained an injury & a doctor gave him ativan.  There's something seriously wrong with the medical professional world, from doctors on up to the FDA.  Ativan's my particular poison, also prescribed for pain management.  I just don't understand why, if these medications hold the potential for such rapid addiction & aren't supposed to be prescribed for longer than 2 weeks, why are there (probably) hundreds of thousands of us here? 

Anyone in similar circumstances who'd like to reach out or share, or wanting to discuss music, okay to PM me :)

I like your post but don't know all the bands.  Have some YouTube to watch.  8)

You mentioned some celebs.  Lena Dunham is another who just started to share her experience.

Also wrt to the numbers.  I've always been curious but I know there are only about 50k who have ever registered for this site but according to this article (http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/addiction/online-communities-drug-withdrawal-what-can-we-learn), BB may get around 200k+ hits per month.

Cheers.

Hi,

Hope I'm posting this in right place :-\ ..I was recently listening to Oasis' Dig Out Your Soul CD, which has been categorized as their most "psychedelic" release.  I don't find it to be that in its' entirety, but there are a couple of songs which are.  Mostly it's psychedelic like their fellow Manchester, UK  band The Charlatans (who, like The Verve I think mainly did mushrooms)  Not much like (current) psych. throwback bands, Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Black Angels (who both kinda freak me out) :P

Anyway, this led me to mosey around & to google top psychedelic songs of all time.  I usually think of Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy" when I think of psychedelic music.  All of this brought me to a clip of Stevie Winwood & Traffic performing "Dear Mr. Fantasy" live in concert in 1972.  Well, as soon as the clip opened, could plainly see his eyes were bugging out of his head!  I remember people always saying to look at his/her pupils.  I didn't come up in hippie days; I was after that.  There were street drugs around; access would've been relatively easy, but I don't remember seeing anybody with pupils looking like that.  I did have someone joking they had a tab of acid they were going to put in my Coke (a-Cola) & my getting :tickedoff:  I have such a distinct memory of that b/c I did fear acid.  Imprinted on my memory was seeing the TV movie "Go Ask Alice" & it scared the crap out of me as far as psychedelic's my whole life.  :o  so the movie did serve its' purpose!  What I recall is there being a bunch of tripped out teenagers at a party & I imagine some were having bad "trips" & maybe they even depicted someone jumping off a roof. 

What I can't help but wonder, especially after seeing this clip of Stevie Winwood, why LSD was ever made illegal(??) & now, in 2018, benzo's are still legal & physicians are still prescribing like crazy!!! >:(  S.W.'s performing the song and giving an outstanding performance!  The drug isn't impacting his abilities or functioning at all, when I'm barely able to get out of bed :sick::tickedoff:  So many creative artists did take LSD.  And, yes, I'm aware lots of young musicians did die; there's even a "27" club, b/c so many died by the time they were 27, but not from LSD/acid.  Usually, it was a combination of alcohol & something else, often some type sleeping pill.  Not "27-club" - In the case of River Phoenix some type of speedball cocktail o/d..Heath Ledger an o/d from deadly cocktail of sleep/pain meds & benzo.  Even after Chris Cornell's 2017 suicide & his wife bringing public attention to ativan & blaming his death on it-I'd thought more would be happening by now as far as media attention to the benzo epidemic but no, not yet. 

I've read Steve Nicks battled her longstanding cocaine addiction, which she'd come out the other end after a stint in rehab, only for well-meaning friends who thought she'd relapse suggesting she see a psychiatrist who put her on klonopin & she battled that dependency for almost a decade!!  Again, w/Chris Cornell, he'd had a long history of street drug addiction from a very early age, then alcoholism and then opoids!!!  He got through all that & wasn't doing Anything, when he'd sustained an injury & a doctor gave him ativan.  There's something seriously wrong with the medical professional world, from doctors on up to the FDA.  Ativan's my particular poison, also prescribed for pain management.  I just don't understand why, if these medications hold the potential for such rapid addiction & aren't supposed to be prescribed for longer than 2 weeks, why are there (probably) hundreds of thousands of us here? 

Anyone in similar circumstances who'd like to reach out or share, or wanting to discuss music, okay to PM me :)

To be honest, I am in a rush, so only skimmed your post. But it seems that your post is in violation of our rules:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=25835.0

Please review the above guidelines.

Thank you.

You mentioned some celebs.  Lena Dunham is another who just started to share her experience.

Also wrt to the numbers.  I've always been curious but I know there are only about 50k who have ever registered for this site but according to this article (http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/addiction/online-communities-drug-withdrawal-what-can-we-learn), BB may get around 200k+ hits per month.

Cheers.

Actually, we do nearly that per day! The forum by itself (not the whole website) averages about 100K page impressions per day. Technically, 'hits' are something else - the vast majority of websites will receive several hits per page impression (BB included). Hits are very misleading, but if we were to count them instead, we'd be heading towards 1M hit per days (but, as I said, 'hits' are misleading). Anyway, 100K per day equates to about 3M page views (just the forum) per month (which is probably what that article intended to indicate anyway).

Cheers.

Actually, we do nearly that per day! The forum by itself (not the whole website) averages about 100K page impressions per day. Technically, 'hits' are something else - the vast majority of websites will receive several hits per page impression (BB included). Hits are very misleading, but if we were to count them instead, we'd be heading towards 1M hit per days (but, as I said, 'hits' are misleading). Anyway, 100K per day equates to about 3M page views (just the forum) per month (which is probably what that article intended to indicate anyway).

Thanks for the clarification.  How many unique visitors would that be?  Are page impressions a good estimate of uniques visitors?  100k per month?

Edit:  Colin, also, is there a seasonal effect or uptick in traffic during certain times of year?  I've been around since late July and think I've noticed some different activity but can't actually determine from this view.  I would expect to see one with this drug in particular.  Just curious.  I'm a numbers guy.

Cheers.

Thanks for the clarification.  How many unique visitors would that be?  Are page impressions a good estimate of uniques visitors?  100k per month?

Edit:  Colin, also, is there a seasonal effect or uptick in traffic during certain times of year?  I've been around since late July and think I've noticed some different activity but can't actually determine from this view.  I would expect to see one with this drug in particular.  Just curious.  I'm a numbers guy.

Hi. No, page impressions are not a good indicator of visitors, as a typical visitor will view more than one page. I do not make use of Google Analytics, but software I used many years ago indicated tens of thousands of unique visitors per month. I would expect the figures to be higher now, as that was probably tens years ago or more. Your guess is almost as good as mine for the present number of unique visitors.