Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My Car Was Stolen Today!

[Gw...]

I live in the city and park my car at the curb in front of my house. Somebody just came over from the bus stop and drove off with my car while it was warming up for five minutes! I'm kicking myself for leaving it running, plus my journal was in there... :( So of course were my house keys, so now we have to replace all our locks. My husband wants to move out of this neighborhood. Me too. Cue all of the normal career/finances stress!  :-\

Now I will say that I'm surprised my husband and I both remained (relatively) calm. We do have insurance, a second car, and a credit card so while this is stressful and expensive, we're going to be okay in the long run. It really kind of put things in perspective for me. I felt more focused (probably from adrenaline) while I was handling the police and insurance reports. I felt grateful for the things we do have and actually felt less anxious knowing this problem was something I could handle.  8)

Still in a foul mood of course, but I did a lot of housework and took a candlelit bubble bath. I can't imagine dealing with what life threw at me today when I was still in the thick of it. Recovery can happen.

Gwinna

That's terrible!!  So sorry to hear, Gwinna!  It's really great to hear though, you were able to handle it well and gain that perspective.  Bravo for what you've done so far for yourself through all of this!

Oh that's awful Gwinna.  I used to live in a busy city and worry about letting my car run, but then I realized I could take the part that unlocks the car off of the actual key needed to start the engine.  Not sure what kind of car you have, but it's worth it to get some kind of separate way to lock the car while warming up, if you live anywhere with winter, which I do, for sure. 

I'm so sorry that happened though.  What a crazy violation.  I can't imagine what that person was thinking. 

Oh my Gwinna, so sorry this happened to you!  I have faith in our human fellows, but my car was vandilized once when I parked on the street in the front of my house. Since then I always park in the back of the house, our property is gated, so a little peace of the mind.  It's a pain in the butt though, cause sometimes I'd just like to park on the street for an hour or two, as it's more convenient, but I'm not taking any chances.  You'll get through this! ;) 

I live in the city and park my car at the curb in front of my house. Somebody just came over from the bus stop and drove off with my car while it was warming up for five minutes! I'm kicking myself for leaving it running, plus my journal was in there... :( So of course were my house keys, so now we have to replace all our locks. My husband wants to move out of this neighborhood. Me too. Cue all of the normal career/finances stress!  :-\

Now I will say that I'm surprised my husband and I both remained (relatively) calm. We do have insurance, a second car, and a credit card so while this is stressful and expensive, we're going to be okay in the long run. It really kind of put things in perspective for me. I felt more focused (probably from adrenaline) while I was handling the police and insurance reports. I felt grateful for the things we do have and actually felt less anxious knowing this problem was something I could handle.  8)

Still in a foul mood of course, but I did a lot of housework and took a candlelit bubble bath. I can't imagine dealing with what life threw at me today when I was still in the thick of it. Recovery can happen.

Well Gwinna, having your car stolen sux, but you handled it very impressively, good job  :)☮️ Not sure I could have don't that :thumbsup:Mary

So sorry you had this experience...I had a wonderful car...15yrs old, no rust...ran like a sewing machine...lol...went into Grocery store for 10'...came out...poof...gone...Bank video...showed it being towed off...by a makeshift tow truck...never found...I was heartbroken. But I had locked the doors and still it was stolen...end of horrible story...Thinking of you and I understand your loss. 💖 Peace and Healing.