Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Relationships

[An...]

Is anyone else in a long term relationship and dealing with withdrawal? How has it affected things for you? I am amazed me and my girlfriend are still together as I feel like I completely disappeared after I jumped and it's a long road back. I know I still really love her but my symptoms make me distant and paranoid and I have a hard time connecting to her / anyone else. I know it's ridiculous but I sometimes feel scared like she's a threat and I'm scared to talk to her about what goes on in my head but i don't feel like myself in these states as I'm void of pretty much any positive emotion. I don't feel like talking about this really helps and I'm desperate to keep things together so usually just suffer silently. I feel like I just take a back seat in life sometimes and am just watching myself screw things up. I know she loves me as well and we don't argue, I just feel terrible that I know I am a much better person than I feel at the moment and sometimes just feel like I'm dragging her down with me.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I have been together over 30 years. He supports me no matter what. We're best friends.

We've been told we are anything from rare to lucky to blessed to inspiring for others.

I think a big thing is history; not having any being more than pets to care for now at home; and how we allow for a wide range of human responses to disappointments, frustration, pain, and other 'we don't like' behaviors... whereas we used to--and many people still do--expect unrealistic, fantasy stuff.

Cut yourself and your mate slack for being human, learn to laugh 'in the midst' of the horrid moments, know--really accept and believe--that no moment is like any other so whatever you're experiencing will pass--yes, the good, not just the bad, and it can be done:

I've been going through some kind of withdrawal for more than 17 years. My husband loves 'the whole me,' not just the fun bits.

I want that kind of acceptance for us all.