Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is there anyone that would be willing to talk to me?

[eb...]

You need to put your drug history past and present in your signature Tweed. You may then get suggestions from experienced members on tapering. Alternatively as you are in the UK you can download a tapering schedule from BATAID.ORG website and if you have questions phone them for support and advice.

I doubt anyone will give personal details out in public on BB plus no one will want to give or is allowed to give medical advice on this forum. Talk to Una at BAT she has helped thousands off of benzos over the years and know Prof Ashton well so is pretty clued up.

I hope this helps.

Staz

That is great support. Wish the US had something like this.

I'm fortunate enough to live close to Una and ring her weekly and manage to get to some of her group meetings. They are a charity and receive no public funding. Una has walked the walk as have her group facilitators so you are talking to people who understand what you are going through. I think the U.S. is almost still in denial about the benzo problem and the devastation it's causing.

Una is an amazing lady who when I called her on her mobile on a Sunday morning called me back to discuss a problem I was having. She was on holiday at the time.

I have gotten the impression BB would not want us to set the precedent of releasing personnel information even if we wanted to. Sorry Tweed

A moderator or administrator will soon respond to this post in that we are prohibited in giving out personal information.  Albeit it would be nice to actually talk to someone, unfortunately, we cannot do that for privacy reasons for your safety as well as others.  Private messaging is an option that can work but isn't quite as efficient as talking or texting.  This can be very lonely and many, if not all, can relate to that.  Hugs and hope!

Regarding Benzo withdrawal and a good taper plan? I’m so confused and just want to get off this stuff! I’m in the UK but can skype.

Hello Tweed-

You are not permitted to post your contact details to the BenzoBuddies forum. Nor should you solicit the contact details of other members. Links to Facebook or any other social media which may potentially identify a member are not allowed.

As others have stated we do not allow the exchange of personal information on this forum. We do this to protect our members identity. Please familiarize yourself with Forum Rules if you have not already done so.

Bella

Thanks everyone. I was hoping to speak to someone personally and am happy for people to PM me but I understand the privacy issue.

Staz

I have emailed BATAID and hopefully they’ll get back to me. I rang the number but nobody answered.

Have many people been able to work whilst in withdraws and fully recover? I read everywhere that most people have to give up work and become bed bound?!

Don't email BAT. Ring after 5pm and you are more likely to be able to talk to Una.

I'm retired early due to benzos as I had a senior position with an aircraft manufacturer and couldn't cope with the pressure. Many do carry on working and not many people become bed bound although a minority do.

You have to remember that you are different. Your journey will be different and unique to you. Don't read all the horror stories and get caught up in them.

In my time on BB I've noticed a few things and please note these are my views generalising on posts.

1. A slow taper generally gives less withdrawal problems than a quick one.

2. a slow taper generally gives less severe symptoms when you finish your taper.

3. A daily liquid taper works gives you body time to adjust as you reduce a small amount daily therefore your brain begins to heal as you reduce through your taper.

4. Do not cold turkey as it's dangerous

5. Longer acting benzos tend to be easier to withdrawal from than short acting ones. Many swap to Valium (diazepam) for this reason and BAT recommend this approach.

6. Too much time spent on BB can make you believe you have every side effect going.

7. Fad diets don't work and in some cases make things worse. Eat a s normally as you can.

8. Avoid alcohol and caffeine like the plague.

This is just my take but phone Una after 5pm and talk your situation through with her.

I hope this helps you.

Staz

Have many people been able to work whilst in withdraws and fully recover?

Yes, I have worked while in withdrawal, and have pretty much recovered now.  Don't let the bed-bound stories scare you, although if I had my way, I would have loved to have stayed in bed for months, as withdrawal can be debilitating.  But that wouldn't put the roof over my head and the food on my table.  I also think that having to work helped me recover.

I am working through my taper. I think it provides a good distraction. On weekends if I have no plans I drive myself crazy sitting at home. I don't have a high pressure job.  I did that in my 20s and 30s building up my career and really it got me nowhere, so I vowed I would never work 10-12 hour days again. And for the most part, I haven't, but when I do I get the overtime now.

My job is very unchallenging now. I like it like that. The only bad part about my current job is the one hour drive I have to make each way. And aside from some head fog in the beginning of my taper, it hasn't been bad. The head fog has kind of dissipated lately, even though I'm still tapering down.

Staz

I’ve been in touch with BAT but Una is currently super busy so hasn’t got back to me. I hope she will soon. Will she be able to give advice on my taper?

My taper is tricky as I have an anxiety disorder therefore will have symptoms anyway even after I’ve stabilised. So it’s hard to know when to come down as some of it is probably symptoms that have just been masked by the drug.

How are you getting on with your taper?

I’d love to go to a group with other people windrawing off benzo’s for support.

Glad to hear other people ar working through their withdrawal. It’s encouraging. The horror stories scae me shitless

Glad to hear you've been in touch with BAT and Una I'm sure will contact you. Yes they will do a taper plan for you and in fact you can download it in pdf format from their website.

Have you ever considered the fact that benzos make any anxiety worse after a few weeks? Your anxiety could actually reduce once you start to reduce your benzo. You will get spikes as you reduce for sure but after a while they will diminish and then you can move on.

I think a daily liquid micro taper would be best for you. It's what I'm doing as my diagnosis was GAD and depression (caused by the benzo in my opinion). I started mine a few weeks back and am going slowly to start with and touch wood everything is going well atm. some transient anxiety and a few sleep issues but nowhere near as bad as a cut and hold taper. I'm dropping at a rate of about 5% a month or 0.14% daily. There's plenty of advice on how to do this on BB and a group set up to support BB's doing this method.

I think work is a great idea if you can just from a distraction point of view.

Good luck.

Staz

Jen,

Yes, we don't have any sort of support line or anything.  Pathetic.

Some of the FB groups people do give out phone numbers.  I think it is helpful.  Have only talked to a person or two, and it is a grab bag what you get ;)  but, hey, you can always talk just briefly if you are uncomfortable.

There should be a US helpline.  Of course there isn't.  Our health system so bad and mental health system even worse.

Thank you Staz you’re so lovely! :)

Still haven’t heard anything from Una...

How do you deal with your GAD? I see you take some other meds?

I don't deal with it just live with it. The other meds are useless and I'm only on them to stop w/d's tbh. They are all from failed attempts to tackle what was benzo induced anxiety and depression. I got put on the benzo as I reacted badly to starting prozac. The Dr's left me on V too long and got me hooked.

Today has been a bad day anxiety wise. The worst for a while but I know i need to continue with my benzo taper as it's the root cause of the problem. I'm probably looking at 2 years to get off safely but have waisted 2 1/2 years trying other meds to stop the anxiety.

Phone Una after 5pm is the best time to catch her at her office.

I'm not so lovely just another victim like yourself. I try and help if I can.

Staz

I agree Tweed8. Staz is a great resource and support. You probably should just follow the provided instructions as you won’t get better advice than this. Good luck! And an even bigger incentive for you is that your “generalized” anxiety disorder will probably have a MUCH lower baseline after you recover.

I agree Tweed8. Staz is a great resource and support. You probably should just follow the provided instructions as you won’t get better advice than this. Good luck! And an even bigger incentive for you is that your “generalized” anxiety disorder will probably have a MUCH lower baseline after you recover.

LeslieJ you are too kind.

Tweed I think Leslie is bang on the money. Our anxiety and depression will reduce when we reduce or eliminate the benzo.

Staz

Staz, how can one know if benzos are causing the probs?  In my case seemed to be mirtazapine, but hard to know what did what.

Thanks.  You do seem like a nice person ;)

Staz, how can one know if benzos are causing the probs?  In my case seemed to be mirtazapine, but hard to know what did what.

Thanks.  You do seem like a nice person ;)

My problems started when I was already on Mirt and the benzo added. Mirt itself didn't cause me any problems. It just stopped working. I'm still on it and will deal with it when the benzo is gone. Hope this helps.

Staz

• 1 month later...

:)Hi,

Does anyone here have any idea why the BATAID.org website on google search (Windows) desktop, comes up "no information for this page".  Is this b/c I'm in U.S.?  This sounds like an exceptional place, too (in addition to benzobuddies! ;)  Yet another area where U.S. falls behind England (like musically!) 

I'm not the most technically savvy, but do navigate pretty well; so am wondering if there's any other way I can get to BATAID.  Appreciate any info! :smitten:

That is great support. Wish the US had something like this.

I'm fortunate enough to live close to Una and ring her weekly and manage to get to some of her group meetings. They are a charity and receive no public funding. Una has walked the walk as have her group facilitators so you are talking to people who understand what you are going through. I think the U.S. is almost still in denial about the benzo problem and the devastation it's causing.

Una is an amazing lady who when I called her on her mobile on a Sunday morning called me back to discuss a problem I was having. She was on holiday at the time.

That's great Staz, good for you!!  Mary