Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Thinking about starting a Youtube channel for my business

[Fl...]

There are a lot of people who do Youtube informational videos with material about the business I am in but most of them focus on a limited range of info without much regard to basic business practices and a lot of the "businessy" information is just flat out wrong. I see it in the facebook groups as well- many of the people who do what I do are very inexperienced with business and these groups often seem more like an employee break room than a corporate board room. I see people making TONS of small mistakes that when added up cost them a fair amount of money.

I am not going to pretend to be some titan of industry but I have been in business and investing in some form for close to 30 years and I have learned a lot since then. I also have a little background in video production and informational videos, which is something I enjoyed.

I feel like I have identified something that is missing in the market and I feel like I have a lot of good information to share so I am considering the idea of setting up a side business producing free informational content (that may possibly lead to paid consulting, book opportunities, etc) that focuses specifically on "business practices' as they pertain to the business I am in.

The main problem with this is that I am still struggling just to do the minimum of what it takes to produce a basic income for myself and even if I could keep up with this side project I am worried that it might adversely effect my existing income. I feel like this project has great potential to help me find a more solid purpose in life and to regain some confidence but I have to be very careful not to take on something that will negatively affect my income, even if it may ultimately pay off down the road.

I had initially considered doing a benzo support related channel but I have been tossing around the idea for a few years now and I just can't see how it would be sustainable. I would love to have a forum to express my opinions on this subject and hopefully help people in the process but I don't see how I could justify taking time away from my business to do this.

Any thoughts on the business channel?

I wanted to comment but just wasn't up to it.  In short, same as your tiny house, I think whatever you ultimate decide ... whether your decision is to start the Youtube channel now or sometime in the future when your business income is more substantial ... you'll be very successful!  And you may even be surprised at how much you can do simultaneously, good exercise/training for the brain. :)  Don't sell yourself short.

Personally, I would absolutely love to learn the ins and outs of your business and I think it could be of great benefit to other BBs who are housebound and unable to commit to fulltime employment, but might be able to swing doing something along these lines.  So for selfish reasons alone, lol, I'd vote for the Youtube channel. 

A benzo support channel?  I say definitely NO.  Don't make your life all about benzos moving forward, keep moving forward, forward, forward.  However, I would love and even encourage you to start writing your benzo book if you feel so inclined.  Again, don't sell yourself short, FG, you are a phenomenal writer.  No point in reminiscing about the way you used to be or focusing on how much harder it is for you now, because no matter what, you're still left with one heck of a good brain.  Maybe it just needs a little more exercising?  "Time" doesn't provide that, you do ...  Hmmm ...  ;D

I wanted to comment but just wasn't up to it.

Thank you for your reply and for the kind words. 

And you may even be surprised at how much you can do simultaneously, good exercise/training for the brain. :)  Don't sell yourself short.

Here's the thing. I have no doubt that this is something I can "do". The problem is that I can't do this without taking away from something else, and the only thing I really have going for me right now is my business so that is where the time and energy will have to come from if I try to tackle a new project.

A benzo support channel?  I say definitely NO.  Don't make your life all about benzos moving forward, keep moving forward, forward, forward.

I agree, and that's a big part of the reason why I don't think that doing a benzo support related project would be a good thing for me.

However, I would love and even encourage you to start writing your benzo book if you feel so inclined.  Again, don't sell yourself short, FG, you are a phenomenal writer.  No point in reminiscing about the way you used to be or focusing on how much harder it is for you now, because no matter what, you're still left with one heck of a good brain.

Thanks. I would still love to write a book, I just don't have the cognitive energy to spare and I still lack the ability to put together something of that magnitude. It's one thing to write a few paragraphs on here but it's another thing to tackle a project like that. Hopefully some day....

Maybe it just needs a little more exercising?  "Time" doesn't provide that, you do ...  Hmmm ...  ;D

Well, if building a tiny house and running a business isn't exercise for the brain, I don't know what is. I would have love to have done more but I only have so much gas in the tank and I have to make sure I prioritize how I use it. And even if I had the cognitive energy I simply lack the motivation and I don't think there is any way to significantly overcome that. It's either there or it isn't. I had a nice window the other day where it felt like someone flipped a switch and I spontaneously started doing some of the things I have been putting off for awhile. And it felt AMAZING. But the next day I woke up and the motivation was mostly gone again. One thing I have learned from this is that if your brain doesn't get a chemical reward, it wants to do nothing.

My cognitive function has improved slightly but if exercising the brain truly worked to reverse the cognitive effects of benzo damage I think I should have seen a lot more improvements than I have by now given the fact that I have managed to tackle a couple of fairly complex projects over the past few years.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of people who do Youtube informational videos with material about the business I am in but most of them focus on a limited range of info without much regard to basic business practices and a lot of the "businessy" information is just flat out wrong. I see it in the facebook groups as well- many of the people who do what I do are very inexperienced with business and these groups often seem more like an employee break room than a corporate board room. I see people making TONS of small mistakes that when added up cost them a fair amount of money.

I am not going to pretend to be some titan of industry but I have been in business and investing in some form for close to 30 years and I have learned a lot since then. I also have a little background in video production and informational videos, which is something I enjoyed.

I feel like I have identified something that is missing in the market and I feel like I have a lot of good information to share so I am considering the idea of setting up a side business producing free informational content (that may possibly lead to paid consulting, book opportunities, etc) that focuses specifically on "business practices' as they pertain to the business I am in.

The main problem with this is that I am still struggling just to do the minimum of what it takes to produce a basic income for myself and even if I could keep up with this side project I am worried that it might adversely effect my existing income. I feel like this project has great potential to help me find a more solid purpose in life and to regain some confidence but I have to be very careful not to take on something that will negatively affect my income, even if it may ultimately pay off down the road.

I had initially considered doing a benzo support related channel but I have been tossing around the idea for a few years now and I just can't see how it would be sustainable. I would love to have a forum to express my opinions on this subject and hopefully help people in the process but I don't see how I could justify taking time away from my business to do this.

Any thoughts on the business channel?

Are you expecting to make all of your money from purely the YouTube revenue alone?  One of my friends has an internet marketing YouTube channel with over 250,000 subscribers.  He only makes a little over $500 from the YouTube revenue even though he provides new content to the channel at least 6 days per week and has a video length on average of about 15 minutes.  YouTube alone is not a sustainable model anymore.  You need to be able to convert your viewers and subscribers with your own products and/or affiliate products.

Are you expecting to make all of your money from purely the YouTube revenue alone?  One of my friends has an internet marketing YouTube channel with over 250,000 subscribers.  He only makes a little over $500 from the YouTube revenue even though he provides new content to the channel at least 6 days per week and has a video length on average of about 15 minutes.  YouTube alone is not a sustainable model anymore.  You need to be able to convert your viewers and subscribers with your own products and/or affiliate products.

If I did this I wouldn't expect to make much if anything directly from youtube. If you have people who are willing to listen to you there are lots of ways to monetize though.

I am interested in how you built your tiny house and what kind of business you run? I have been trying to think of ways to make some sort of money from my laptop at home in bed. I know that is a big stretch.

Hope you are well!

I am interested in how you built your tiny house and what kind of business you run? I have been trying to think of ways to make some sort of money from my laptop at home in bed. I know that is a big stretch.

Hope you are well!

I built my tiny house from a cargo trailer. I ordered a custom trailer with 8ft high ceilings, I added windows, plumbing, electrical and built out the interior. I also made the ramp in the back into a porch and built a framed wall behind it so I have a nice little patio area. It was a ton of work, it still needs some odds and ends to finish it and I'm not sure how I made it as far as I did but I am glad I did cause now I have a place to live that is super cheap.

As far as the business goes, I source things locally and sell online. Some people source online for a low price and resell online for a higher price so I know it is possible to make money that way but I don't have experience in that. What I do works great for me because I am not housebound so I source most of my inventory from thrift stores and such, between that and shipping it gets me out of the house every day. I am sure I could make some money sourcing exclusively online and I would bet that there are people who do it full time but in my case sourcing locally works better for me.

That is great. Thanks for sharing. Do you still have the benzo flu type feelings this far out?

Yes, unfortunately I do still get that nasty, sick, poisoned, jet lag hangover feeling off and on.

I wish you'd start another thread about your tiny house and how you made it and what it's like living in there and where it's located and how your patio is made and the type of AC you have, etc.  I really liked reading about it.

FG I think this is a great idea.  I recently bought a home and I can't tell you how sparse the pickings are on youtube for quality informational videos.  My husband and I were watching some on plumbing and on each topic there are only like 2 or 3 videos sometimes, which I think leaves a LOT of room open.  I don't know much about tiny houses, but I'm sure there's room there too.  I often see informational videos giving out bunk advice and it does make me think of writing out my own advice about things too. 

I've been toying with the idea of a benzo support something as well but I haven't really figured out what.  I have watched some people's videos and I find that helpful as well as reading the MadinAmerica website.  I'm not sure where I fit in with that, and what would really be needed.  I have listened to podcasts from a life coach, that is always suggesting things I find helpful, and I think I want to do something like her, but tailored towards people getting off benzos or psychiatric drugs.  I can only imagine that is a lot of people. 

I wish you'd start another thread about your tiny house and how you made it and what it's like living in there and where it's located and how your patio is made and the type of AC you have, etc.  I really liked reading about it.

I don't know what else I would write about it. If there is anything in particular you want to know feel free to ask though.

Make a YouTube about your tiny house or also about your daily finds that you resale. Sort of a vlog like what I did in a day. Have you done that? I follow this guy called Handeeman who is living in a tiny 200sqft house in southern Arizona and his wife is a popular vegan blogger.

What kind of AC is in there and did you cut a hole in the wall for it?  Stuff like that.  I like to hear how it's all laid out and stuff.

Make a YouTube about your tiny house or also about your daily finds that you resale. Sort of a vlog like what I did in a day. Have you done that? I follow this guy called Handeeman who is living in a tiny 200sqft house in southern Arizona and his wife is a popular vegan blogger.

I thought about doing that. Make it sort of a "lifestyle" channel. Maybe even bring the health issues into it. I'm sure there are a TON of people out there who would love to be able to learn how to live extremely cheap while running a business from home, especially people who have health challenges.

What kind of AC is in there and did you cut a hole in the wall for it?  Stuff like that.  I like to hear how it's all laid out and stuff.

Since I built my tiny house out of a cargo trailer it has a ramp on the back that is supposed to fold down to drive things into the trailer (car, lawn mower, motorcycles) but I made the ramp into a porch and built a wall behind where the ramp folds up. There is a regular house entry door in that wall along with a wall mounted AC unit.

I thought about doing that. Make it sort of a "lifestyle" channel. Maybe even bring the health issues into it. I'm sure there are a TON of people out there who would love to be able to learn how to live extremely cheap while running a business from home, especially people who have health challenges.

Yes do it. Teach and entertain us please.

Don't you get a bit claustrophobic living in such tight quarters?  I'll bet the roof doesn't leak.  I need to get one of those but I don't think any place would take them here in PA.

Don't you get a bit claustrophobic living in such tight quarters?  I'll bet the roof doesn't leak.  I need to get one of those but I don't think any place would take them here in PA.

I don't feel claustrophobic but I do feel a bit cramped at times due to the fact that I have to keep a certain amount of work stuff there and I have a hard time keeping it organized. If I didn't have to run my business from the house I don't think I would really feel cramped.

I watch youtube videos about being cheap.  It's always great for tips that maybe you didn't think of yourself.

Yea I am sure that there is a big market for information on cheap living and making money. If I do something that might be my angle. My brain still doesn't work like it should but I do have lots of experience in business and getting creative with money.

• 2 weeks later...