Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Feeling my pup's pain ...

[Ja...]

:'(  My poor puppy ...

She's a beautiful 9 month old golden - our first non-rescue dog - she is breath-taking gorgeous, with a temperament to match.  I have loved all my dogs over the years, but this one --- my gosh, I think she's an angel dropped from heaven...

This is our first dog that we've owned where spaying was our option - we have always agreed (and upheld that agreement) to spay in the terms of our many dog adoptions.  It surprised me that I actually felt conflicted when the time came for her - I almost cancelled (and then was embarrassed that I didn't want to go through with it...)

Her breeder recommended that we hold off on spaying until after her first heat - our vet adamantly disputed that recommendation... We have a large property and while we are careful to keep our girls on our property, we cannot keep other dogs from visiting us.  We are not dog breeders - just dog lovers...

So, I know we did the right thing, but this is so darn hard, watching my little girl feel poorly ... She's already bounced back pretty well from the surgery, but the cone is torture to her.  We have to put it on her when we can't keep our eye on her, (like when making dinner - being distracted with other stuff...)

The vet told us to keep it on her but she responds to a gentle "no" if she starts sniffing around her incision...  This morning she rolled onto her back and practically pointed at it, asking me to rub her belly.  I gently did, around the sides & up her chest - she stretched, closed her eyes and just melted into the carpet, smiling in that goofy golden way...

When I put the cone on, she literally freezes - won't move, cries (from whatever position she froze in) if she wants to move ... It's going to be a looong couple of weeks ...

• 2 months later...

:'(  My poor puppy ...

She's a beautiful 9 month old golden - our first non-rescue dog - she is breath-taking gorgeous, with a temperament to match.  I have loved all my dogs over the years, but this one --- my gosh, I think she's an angel dropped from heaven...

This is our first dog that we've owned where spaying was our option - we have always agreed (and upheld that agreement) to spay in the terms of our many dog adoptions.  It surprised me that I actually felt conflicted when the time came for her - I almost cancelled (and then was embarrassed that I didn't want to go through with it...)

Her breeder recommended that we hold off on spaying until after her first heat - our vet adamantly disputed that recommendation... We have a large property and while we are careful to keep our girls on our property, we cannot keep other dogs from visiting us.  We are not dog breeders - just dog lovers...

So, I know we did the right thing, but this is so darn hard, watching my little girl feel poorly ... She's already bounced back pretty well from the surgery, but the cone is torture to her.  We have to put it on her when we can't keep our eye on her, (like when making dinner - being distracted with other stuff...)

The vet told us to keep it on her but she responds to a gentle "no" if she starts sniffing around her incision...  This morning she rolled onto her back and practically pointed at it, asking me to rub her belly.  I gently did, around the sides & up her chest - she stretched, closed her eyes and just melted into the carpet, smiling in that goofy golden way...

When I put the cone on, she literally freezes - won't move, cries (from whatever position she froze in) if she wants to move ... It's going to be a looong couple of weeks ...

JannaBean,

I had a Border Collie (she lived to 19, had 9 lives too) but she had to wear a cone and she hated it, but after 3 or 4 days, she just decided enough.  She figured out how to place her head so that the cone fit exactly over her food bowl, if she wanted to go through a tight space, she would jerk her head back and forth until she got through.  It was hilarious to watch her progress with that cone when in the beginning she was a lot like your dog.  So keep your fingers crossed, she may adapt yet, hope so.  Love, Mary. ☮️🙏💜🐕🐾

Hi Mary!

I just saw your response today!!! (I’m sorry I missed the two that you wrote.)

Gracie is doing very well - she healed beautifully from her surgery and is back to her playful self.  Like most young Golden’s, she’s got lots of energy, loves to play & flop for belly rubs - but unlike any of our others, she’s very mild mannered, and much less mischievous.

She never really adjusted to that cone - managed to get comfortable and sleep whenever we put it on, but that’s about it.  The older dog learned to use her cones as tools, scooping stuff and tossing it, tipping over her bowls, sweeping things off the counters, etc ... really funny to watch, (as long as it didn’t involve our meals, lol...)

I’m glad we are through that phase!

Here she is, taking a nap with her big sister ...

http://i.imgur.com/eVs0bio.jpg

Hi Mary!

I just saw your response today!!! (I’m sorry I missed the two that you wrote.)

Gracie is doing very well - she healed beautifully from her surgery and is back to her playful self.  Like most young Golden’s, she’s got lots of energy, loves to play & flop for belly rubs - but unlike any of our others, she’s very mild mannered, and much less mischievous.

She never really adjusted to that cone - managed to get comfortable and sleep whenever we put it on, but that’s about it.  The older dog learned to use her cones as tools, scooping stuff and tossing it, tipping over her bowls, sweeping things off the counters, etc ... really funny to watch, (as long as it didn’t involve our meals, lol...)

I’m glad we are through that phase!

Here she is, taking a nap with her big sister ...

http://i.imgur.com/eVs0bio.jpg

Oh , they are beautiful JanaBean !  They are funny when they adapt to the cone.  Mine was a Border Collie.  My husband and I were sitting in living area one night after it had been raining, and we started feeling something hit us, she was cleaning the mud out of her feet and slinging it.  :laugh:  She was 19 when she passed away, she was a fabulous dog.  Love, Mary 🐕🐶🐾🐾🐾🎄💜🙏☮️

I got my dog when my world started to melt away and she is still with me.. she is about 13 or 14 years now, a big teddybear.. and I adore and love her more than anything else. I think they are angels really. Okey,full of mud and animals and gras sometimes...

I hope she will help you to have a nice life :smitten:

Mary, I am happy that you had your dog for 19?! years - amazing. I hope there is something like a heaven for them..

Oh , they are beautiful JanaBean !  They are funny when they adapt to the cone.  Mine was a Border Collie.  My husband and I were sitting in living area one night after it had been raining, and we started feeling something hit us, she was cleaning the mud out of her feet and slinging it.  :laugh:  She was 19 when she passed away, she was a fabulous dog.  Love, Mary 🐕🐶🐾🐾🐾🎄💜🙏☮️

Thank you!  Our furry friends definitely have a way of capturing our hearts, don’t they?

Wow, 19!  That is amazing.  Border Collies are such beautiful (and smart) dogs.  It’s a funny image about the slinging mud!

Marigold, I think you are right about them being angels.  My girls seem to know when I need some extra TLC and some days they won’t leave my side. 

I got my dog when my world started to melt away and she is still with me.. she is about 13 or 14 years now, a big teddybear.. and I adore and love her more than anything else. I think they are angels really. Okey,full of mud and animals and gras sometimes...

I hope she will help you to have a nice life :smitten:

Mary, I am happy that you had your dog for 19?! years - amazing. I hope there is something like a heaven for them..

I totally believe they do, a spirit, I always think of all my animals being with me.  I took my husband's mom's dog when she became too ill to care for him.  I see me and her fighting over him. :laugh: :laugh:

I tend to believe things that give me peace.  :).  Mary ☮️💜🙏🐕🐾