Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Water weight😫

[Ai...]

I'm down to 0.560 mg Valium and after a long hold my symptoms finally got better. As soon as I started stabilizing I gained something like 8 pounds in 3 days. This is my main symptoms now and the weight changes everyday. Carbs make me bloat like a pregnant woman. I just cannot pee normally. Anyone else struggling with the same issue?

These meds mess with our hormones big time. The adrenals produce aldosterone that is in charge of the water/salt balance in the body. Stress throws this off but other female hormones which cause water rentention and weight gain.

I am interested in how you are tapering? So glad you were able to hold and get relief. Was it six months you held? I am still trying to find my taper plan. Are you daily micro taper? And how much do you reduce a day?

Thanks

Its unlikely that your sxs are related to your taper.

This symptom is  absolutely related to my taper. All my blood tests came back fine and this forum is full of  posts where other people are struggling with the same thing, as you can see here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=81609.40

These meds mess with our hormones big time. The adrenals produce aldosterone that is in charge of the water/salt balance in the body. Stress throws this off but other female hormones which cause water rentention and weight gain.

Yes, I know it, infact Reducing estrogens using calcium d glucarate helps a lot but it's not enough to get the weight down completely. I had bloating before but mainly after ovulation till my period. Now it is a random thing. Something else is going on...

I am interested in how you are tapering? So glad you were able to hold and get relief. Was it six months you held? I am still trying to find my taper plan. Are you daily micro taper? And how much do you reduce a day?

Thanks

I think I'm doing the slowest taper ever, but this is the only method that allows me to have a normal life. I started from 1 mg of xanax and I did dry cut for 2 years then I switched to Valium because it was impossible for me to cut that small dose. I switched to 1mg of Valium. I know that some people jump at this point but I'm really sensitive and it was impossible for me to do the same. In fact, last year I started my Valium taper in may and I went off 0.400mg of Valium in six months. It was to much for me. I had bad symptoms from November to april 2018. During that period I have cut only 0.020 mg of Valium so I consider this a long hold. In June I restarted my taper and I think that now I've found the right taper plan. I've decided to taper one drop of Valium every year. One drop is 0.200, I cut 0.040 mg of Valium in few months and then I do a pause generally 1/2 months, then another cut of the same size and again a pause, and so on. I know it is really slow but I'm feeling so well now that I've also started to work for the first time in years this summer. It will take 3 years for 3 drops of Valium but I will be completely functional. Obviously the first part of my taper from 1mg xanax to 1 of Valium was faster. My method is only for the end of the taper, when the brain gets sensitive to small cuts.

This was an ongoing symptom of mine.  Swelling everywhere...face, belly, legs, etc.  It may pass for you quickly,  or like for me, get gradually better over time.  WR

Thanks

I think I'm doing the slowest taper ever, but this is the only method that allows me to have a normal life. I started from 1 mg of xanax and I did dry cut for 2 years then I switched to Valium because it was impossible for me to cut that small dose. I switched to 1mg of Valium. I know that some people jump at this point but I'm really sensitive and it was impossible for me to do the same. In fact, last year I started my Valium taper in may and I went off 0.400mg of Valium in six months. It was to much for me. I had bad symptoms from November to april 2018. During that period I have cut only 0.020 mg of Valium so I consider this a long hold. In June I restarted my taper and I think that now I've found the right taper plan. I've decided to taper one drop of Valium every year. One drop is 0.200, I cut 0.040 mg of Valium in few months and then I do a pause generally 1/2 months, then another cut of the same size and again a pause, and so on. I know it is really slow but I'm feeling so well now that I've also started to work for the first time in years this summer. It will take 3 years for 3 drops of Valium but I will be completely functional. Obviously the first part of my taper from 1mg xanax to 1 of Valium was faster. My method is only for the end of the taper, when the brain gets sensitive to small cuts.

I am so sick living from bed. Trying to find a method that works for me. Thanks

The weight gain and the peeing is absolutely part of the withdrawal process!  I had both and am still dealing with the awful bloating.  Our thyroid is being affected by this and many other things so please know that you are just going through the process of getting your health back... even though it feels like the opposite.  Good job!

The water weight/water retention may be caused by several things, notwithstanding benzo withdrawal.  You say that carbs make you bloat, and you are urinating poorly.  To me, that's a sign that you are dehydrated and have too high a sodium intake.  I would cut out carbs, especially salty ones, and start drinking significantly more water daily.  Yes, drinking more water will actually reduce your water weight, as it dilutes excess sodium in your cells and prompts your body to remove it via urine and sweat, it will also hydrate you really well at the same time.  I would also increase potassium intake, as potassium is a natural diuretic that will remove excess sodium from your body via urine and help you achieve normal water balance in your cells.  These simple measures can really help a lot with water weight/water retention.

Some common things that cause water weight are:

-excessive sodium intake

-refined carbohydrates and refined sugar

-insufficient potassium intake

-poor sleep or insufficient sleep

-poor heart function

-poor kidney function

-menstrual cycle

-acidic ph in the body.

Funny that I stumbled on this post today! I weighed in this morning, and I just gained 12 lbs in 3 days!! No exaggerating. I am 5’5”, a size 2, very slim. I look huge all of a sudden. My hands are swollen, face, my stomach is huge. This is unreal. I’ve never in my life heard of weight gain this fast! Yikes I hope this goes away soon...

This is definitely related to the taper.  I am sure I fluctuate about five pounds depending on what time of month it is AND on my taper.  My taper has messed with my cycle so much and definitely causes water weight.

The water weight/water retention may be caused by several things, notwithstanding benzo withdrawal.  You say that carbs make you bloat, and you are urinating poorly.  To me, that's a sign that you are dehydrated and have too high a sodium intake.  I would cut out carbs, especially salty ones, and start drinking significantly more water daily.  Yes, drinking more water will actually reduce your water weight, as it dilutes excess sodium in your cells and prompts your body to remove it via urine and sweat, it will also hydrate you really well at the same time.  I would also increase potassium intake, as potassium is a natural diuretic that will remove excess sodium from your body via urine and help you achieve normal water balance in your cells.  These simple measures can really help a lot with water weight/water retention.

Some common things that cause water weight are:

-excessive sodium intake

-refined carbohydrates and refined sugar

-insufficient potassium intake

-poor sleep or insufficient sleep

-poor heart function

-poor kidney function

-menstrual cycle

-acidic ph in the body.

I don't think that I'm having an high sodium intake. I'm really thin and some days I barely eat 1000 calories. My family has a factory and a vegetable garden, I eat  healthy greens and proteins every  day. My diet has never changed in years and the sodium intake is always the same. My carbs intake is also normal/low but even a small quantities make me bloat. It is like if my body cannot tolerate carbs anymore. Redefine sugar are almost completely out of my diet. I drink lots of water because I'm always thirsty but it doesn't help. I think that my problem is adrenal fatigue and the subsequent hormonal imbalances. I'm withdrawing meds since 2014 (CT from antidepressants)  my body has been in pain for so long that the stress probably killed my adrenals. I will buy supplements to heal andrenals, lower cortisol and balance estrogens/progesterone ratio hoping that this will help.

Healing adrenals and lowering cortisol will no doubt benefit you.  If you're drinking plenty of water but having poor urination, you may have excess sodium trapped in your cells, thus water weight.  I would try potassium citrate and see if that alleviates the problem.

Healing adrenals and lowering cortisol will no doubt benefit you.  If you're drinking plenty of water but having poor urination, you may have excess sodium trapped in your cells, thus water weight.  I would try potassium citrate and see if that alleviates the problem.

You may be right about the excesses of sodium because since this started my spit is often salty. I will try the potassium citrate too. Thank you for the advice.

You may thrive on a bit of salt in your diet. Salt is very good for the adrenals and actually helps you retain the water that you are drinking so you are not thirsty all the time. Look up adrenal cocktails. Could be very helpful for you. Also try eating a little more. Your body needs energy to produce the proper hormones. Food is energy.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Jo...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [ra...]
    • [2c...]
    • [an...]
    • [bi...]
    • [...]
    • [Re...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [El...]