Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Steak Lovers Thread

[Fl...]

I love me some good blackened chicken or pork tenderloin, but beef is hands down my favorite meat and steak is the king of all beef so I thought I would start a steak lovers thread.

Two cuts of beef everyone should be aware of are the flat iron steak and chuck eye steak. Seriously, these are the best kept secrets in the steak world. The flat iron steak is flavorful and insanely juicy and the chuck eye steak is essentially a ribeye, but costs about half as much.

I have been eating flat iron steaks for awhile. I order one every time I go to Longhorn Steakhouse but I had a hard time finding a good one in the grocery stores until I decided to try the Walmart Angus flat iron. Walmart's regular flat iron steaks are cut differently. They taste great but they have a ton of grisle, in my opinion rendering them mostly inedible. The angus flat irons on the other hand....you would be hard pressed to find a steak that strikes such a good balance between flavor, tenderness and juiciness.

I only recently got turned onto the chuck eye steaks. There is a locally owned meat market in the new city where I live, and one day I was asking the butcher about flat iron steaks. He wasn't familiar with that cut but looked at a chart and pointed out that the chuck eye steaks come from an area that is close to the flat iron cut. These steaks looked incredible in the case with their beautiful marbling, so I decided to look them up online and lo and behold, these are essentially the tail end of a rib eye.

I bought two chuck eye steaks the other day to try them out. Two half pound angus beef steaks cost me a grand total of $6.99. Grilled one up with some Montreal Steak Seasoning and maaaan.....if I would have paid $30 for this steak from a reputable steakhouse I would have been happy to have gotten my money's worth. I pulled the steak off the grill, and while the steak was resting I fried some bacon pieces. When the bacon was almost done I tossed in a handful of green onions followed by some fresh spinach, sauteed everything for a couple of minutes, added some salt, pepper, garlic powder and balsamic vinegar and a few minutes later I had a meal that was fit for a king, all for the grand total of about $5.

One of my favorite steak recipes is steak fajita quesadillas. I got hooked on these when I used to work in Tex Mex restaurants back in the 90's.

They are pretty easy to make. All you have to do is soak some skirt or flank steak for a few hours in this marinate- http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/aqua-negra-marinade-111229. After the steak has marinated for awhile, remove it from the marinate, pat it dry with a paper towel and let it sit for awhile to warm up to room temperature. While the steak is warming up, start your grill. Grill the meat over medium high heat for just a couple of minutes on each side (skirt and flank steak are very thin) to no more than medium temperature, medium rare is best. If you overcook these cuts of meat they will become tough.

While the steak is cooking, saute some green peppers and onions in a little olive oil, salt and pepper. When the steak is done let it rest for a few minutes tented loosely with aluminum foil. Lightly coat one side of a flour tortilla with a little oil or butter. Once the meat has rested, slice it into thin strips across the grain. Put the tortilla in a skillet with the oiled side down, load up one half of it with cheese (colby jack works well for this), peppers and onions and sliced steak. Fold the tortilla over to a half moon shape and grill the quesadilla over medium low heat for several minutes on each side or until the cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream, fresh guacamole, pico de gallo or salsa.

If you want to make it a meal, cook up some black beans while you are at it. I make the best black beans in the world with a slightly modified version of this recipe- https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/mexican-black-beans-84 Instead of olive oil I cut several slices of bacon into small pieces, fry the bacon and when the bacon is about a minute from being done I add the garlic, Jalapeño and cumin (adding plenty of extra cumin doesn't hurt!).

Got any good steak tips of recipes? 

FG, you can fake it as long as you cook and it tastes good.

Tomorrow night it's jerk chicken in cream sauce with asparagus and zucchini noodles.

Mmmmmmm.......

FG, give me 24 hours and I'll be down and eat some of that good food you're making.  Then I'll ask you to marry me and if you accept, you can cook all my meals for me.  Sounds fair to me.  :laugh:

You missed the jerk chicken. Not sure what's on the menu for tomorrow. Might do my pork tenderloin teriyaki stir fry  :)

You missed the jerk chicken. Not sure what's on the menu for tomorrow. Might do my pork tenderloin teriyaki stir fry  :)

FG there is a local restaurant here in jungle Prada area that does Jerk Chicken, Mmmmmm :smitten:

What do you make for breakfast and lunch?  What about drinks?

I drink coffee and iced tea during the daytime, then I switch to water at night. I also drink some kombucha when I have it brewed.

I don't really eat breakfast. For "lunch" I might eat some cheese and cold cuts, sometimes a handful of peanuts or if I have leftovers from the night before I might eat that but I generally don't eat much early to mid day. I usually have a normal sized dinner and then a smaller meal a few hours later (leftovers, a salad, some soup, etc)

I have never eaten jerk chicken :clap:

I have googled it.

And dreamt of it.....

Nothing compares to the real jerk chicken that you get in Jamaica- each jerk stand has its own jerk recipe, its usually grilled over a open wood fire and it is delicious. You have to like spicy food though cause it is HOT!

Here in the US you can get decent jerk seasoning in the stores. I like Grace brand. They also make one that is less spicy so it might appeal to people who can't handle the fire.

What do you make for breakfast and lunch?  What about drinks?

I drink coffee and iced tea during the daytime, then I switch to water at night. I also drink some kombucha when I have it brewed.

I don't really eat breakfast. For "lunch" I might eat some cheese and cold cuts, sometimes a handful of peanuts or if I have leftovers from the night before I might eat that but I generally don't eat much early to mid day. I usually have a normal sized dinner and then a smaller meal a few hours later (leftovers, a salad, some soup, etc)

I have never eaten jerk chicken :clap:

I have googled it.

And dreamt of it.....

Nothing compares to the real jerk chicken that you get in Jamaica- each jerk stand has its own jerk recipe, its usually grilled over a open wood fire and it is delicious. You have to like spicy food though cause it is HOT!

Here in the US you can get decent jerk seasoning in the stores. I like Grace brand. They also make one that is less spicy so it might appeal to people who can't handle the fire.

I would like to travel the world and just eat the finest food everywhere!!!!!!