Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone up for some beef jerky?

[be...]

All the more reason to make it yourself. Beef jerky is awesome. I make it with ground beef and a jerky gun. Mix ground beef with a seasoning blend (with NO preservatives), pack it in the gun, shoot it out on wire racks,  put it in the oven on the lowest setting for a few hours and you have a delicious snack that is also easy to chew.

"Chewing the Fat" is the perfect place for a post about beef jerky.  ;D

That's an interesting article.  It makes sense-- preservatives altering gut bacteria/the microbiome.

I'd never heard of a jerky gun.  That's a great idea.  Making your own would be so much cheaper too.  I love beef jerky, but haven't eaten in years, due to cost and preservatives.

I'd never heard of a jerky gun.  That's a great idea.  Making your own would be so much cheaper too.  I love beef jerky, but haven't eaten in years, due to cost and preservatives.

It is much cheaper making it with ground beef. Even the cheapest store bought whole muscle beef jerky runs close to $20 per pound. You can make it at home with lean ground beef for about half of that. Cheap jerky guns can be found on Amazon for less than $15 (just be easy with it and it will last awhile). And you can control everything that goes into it.

I make it myself. But I use thinly sliced London broil. It’s much better home aid. The stuff at the store is garbage.

Some jerky gun tips-

1) Make sure you use lean ground beef (90/10 or preferably 93/7)

2) Make sure your mixture isn't too wet. You can find recipes online and you can make your own seasoning recipe but make sure it uses minimal liquid ingredients

3) Put beef directly on some kind of greased rack. You can use cheap cooling racks, just make sure the air circulates around the bottom of the jerky

4) Use the lowest oven setting possible (usually around 160-170) and make sure you crack the oven door to allow the humidity to escape

5) If you get a cheap jerky gun, only fill it part way and shoot the jerky out slowly. The cheap plastic won't hold up to hard use but if you use a little common sense you shouldn't have a problem

Oh, for anyone who loves beef jerky, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't tried the South African style.  It's called "biltong".  I got totally hooked!!!  It's *huge* there as a snack, it can be found everywhere, they even have specialty biltong shops. 

It typically contains nothing more than vinegar (for the curing process), salt/pepper and coriander (or natural spices such as chili or cayenne pepper if one likes some heat to it).

It's hung up and air dried.  Can be eaten wet, medium or dry.  I love 'em all, oh, and the fat is also delish, yea, go crazy.  ;D

Looks like this.

biltong-display_1024x1024.jpg?v=1506217390

b335be564fd516b2fb296ef3415df37c--yellow-fat.jpg

I'm fortunate enough to have easy access my end, but I know it can be found even on Amazon or Etsy.  It's quite pricey to buy but, no doubt, there are likely many recipes/instructions to be found on Google.

Highly recommended!  :thumbsup:

Oh, for anyone who loves beef jerky, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't tried the South African style.  It's called "biltong".  I got totally hooked!!!  It's *huge* there as a snack, it can be found everywhere, they even have specialty biltong shops. 

I just looked up a recipe and everything about it sounds good. I'm going to have to try it sometime.

Talking about this is making me hungry, and I just finished a delicious steak a couple of hours ago. Speaking of which I think I am going to start a steak thread  :)

I just looked up a recipe and everything about it sounds good. I'm going to have to try it sometime.

Talking about this is making me hungry, and I just finished a delicious steak a couple of hours ago. Speaking of which I think I am going to start a steak thread  :)

YEAS PLEASE!!!! My friend say I am suffering from a severe meat-hunger. They are afraid when I am getting it because I tend to get aggressive until someone puts a peace of steak into my mouth. They say if I could get a nice dress or a big steak I would take the steak. Totally right.

gmm!! givememeat. Marigold