Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Do benzos cause more grey hair?

[Sy...]

Has anyone noticed more grey hair since taking benzos?  Is this a possible side effect? Would be incentive for me to quit sooner. Always thought stress and anxiety would cause grey hair sooner.

Thanks

My hair has gotten a bit grey when it never was before. I’m not sure if it’s the benzos or ageing. But a taper causes stress and that can cause grey hair. And your original won’t come back.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi benzogirl, Thanks for your reply. So I’ve been doing some research on greying hair and have been learning a lot about organic blackstrap molasses. It has a few benefits and one of them being reversing gray hair. One article says it works by pushing the aging hair out and replacing it with more youthful hair. It can improve our skin, too, and give us more energy because it remineralizes our bodies. Lots of omega 3’s in our diet may help reduce or reverse gray hair. Food with catalase in them like potatoes, onion, spinach, celery, cucumber, kale, pineapple, cherries, apricot, watermelon and peaches contain high amounts. Catalase breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen allowing melanin to function normally and create hair pigments. Gray hair may be partly caused by excessive amounts of hydrogen peroxide in our hair follicles. Thought I would throw that out there if anyone is interested in learning about this. I’m taking one tablespoon of molasses a day and it can take up to six months to see results.

Wait! Here is an incentive! I am 46. I had become about 60 percent prematurely grey very quickly while taking benzos. Never thought a thing about it other than I had to go the salon more often for hair dye. Then Acute withdrawals...  ended up losing a BUNCH of hair. Mostly on top and around face. Noticed that! Almost 12 weeks out and my hair is growing in brown! I swear! I even wrote about this in other replies starting like 6 weeks ago. Also, I had very dry skin. And I could easily go a couple of days without showering. Now- I am an oily mess. Need to wash my hair every day or it looks like I greased it. And I have videos to prove all this! So you may end up like me if you are around the same age!

I definitely got tons of grey hair on Klonopin. I was 32 when I started taking it and my family doesn't get grey hair that young (my dad still only has a couple grey hairs, his hair is mostly brown).

I have been getting grey hair too. I blame it on the K. I’m getting older so that may be it but none of my maternal relatives got grey until they were in their 70s and I’m not that old....yet.

• 3 weeks later...
I did not go gray on it.... over the course of decades.  In withdrawal, it is going gray very fast.  Think it is stress coupled with age (and not necessarily beauty...)  Oh and m curly hair has gotten totally frizzy and dead looking.  uGH.