Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Making friends with manatees

[Fl...]

A few nights ago I was fishing near my house. The moon was shining bright that night and soon after I arrived I noticed something very, very large stirring up the water in front of me. I initially thought it might be a large fish or a dolphin, but a few minutes later when I saw a blubbery mass floating on top of the water I knew it had to be a manatee.

The manatee submerged again. I turned on my flashlight and walked over to the water's edge, and although the water was murky I could faintly make out a large gray shape floating by. I followed it along the edge of the bank for a couple of minutes when I saw it moving closer to the water's edge. I aimed my light into the water a few inches from the bank, and a couple of seconds later a baby manatee snout surfaced directly in the beam of my light.

Living in Florida for 30+ years I have seen many manatees, but I have never had one surface in front of me close enough that I could have patted it on the head. Pretty cool to see one this close up.

Any kind of  nature is my favourite form of distraction but a manatee who is happy to hang out, wow.

We call them dugongs here downunder but its rare to see them because their habitats are being reduced.

Thats great.. I have only seen them in zoos and I dont want them to be there :smitten:

She must have been convinced you are not dangerous - I would be honored..

Whats her name and whats the baby s name?

;D

So wonderful FG. I read that they would accept a pat on the head. I’ve also read that they generally accept people.

They are not a threat is what I mean. And as ihope says, they are endangered. Here also. They get cut by boat propellers. I’ve never seen one myself, but I’d like too. They might have them here at Hogle zoo. And we have a fairly new aquatic center. I think I’ve seen them on advertisements for it.

You are a fortunate man, FG.

I am pretty sure this is a sign somehow. I am not a spiritual person, but animals get me, every time..

Because they know if we are stable inside - if we are not, they do not come nearer..

:smitten:

Thats great.. I have only seen them in zoos and I dont want them to be there :smitten:

;D

Just saw a baby. And by baby I mean it might have been 300-400lbs. A big baby  :o

Spending time out on the water at night I get to see other cool things. Saw a rocket launch from Kennedy Space center the other night. Its cool to see it from 40 miles away but I need to get over there one night and see a launch up close.

My fishing spot by the house is near the train tracks and most nights there are several trains that cross the bridge. When there is a little fog in the air it looks like a ghost train piercing through the mist. If I could paint I would paint that very scene with a 1930's art deco style locomotive over the water coming out of the fog.

f1826b1d572140fad294d8b13618159e--raymond-loewy-pennsylvania-railroad.jpg

No way. He saw that manatee. They do live in Florida. You’re seeing very interesting things FG.

You picked a good place for you’re house.

;D

Just saw a baby. And by baby I mean it might have been 300-400lbs. A big baby  :o

Spending time out on the water at night I get to see other cool things. Saw a rocket launch from Kennedy Space center the other night. Its cool to see it from 40 miles away but I need to get over there one night and see a launch up close.

My fishing spot by the house is near the train tracks and most nights there are several trains that cross the bridge. When there is a little fog in the air it looks like a ghost train piercing through the mist. If I could paint I would paint that very scene with a 1930's art deco style locomotive over the water coming out of the fog.

f1826b1d572140fad294d8b13618159e--raymond-loewy-pennsylvania-railroad.jpg

FG, i have read you express concerns about your loss of creativity but just want to say that you clearly have a fine enquiring mind and diverse interests which inevitably lead to new ideas & im sure will prove attractive to a partner when the right one comes along

FG, are you sure it wasn't a Loch Ness Monster you saw?  :laugh:

Maybe it was a mermaid.

Christopher Columbus, in his first journey to the Americas, caught a glimpse of three "mermaids" off the prow of his ship, writing in his journal:

"On the previous day [8 Jan 1493], when the Admiral went to the Rio del Oro [Haiti], he said he quite distinctly saw three mermaids, which rose well out of the sea; but they are not so beautiful as they are said to be, for their faces had some masculine traits." (Voyages of Columbus 218)."

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2014/11/141124-manatee-awareness-month-dugongs-animals-science/

No way. He saw that manatee. They do live in Florida. You’re seeing very interesting things FG.

You picked a good place for you’re house.

I agree. I have always liked the water but never lived so close. Most everything on land is asleep at 2am but everything that swims comes alive at night. Fish, dolphins, manatee....there is always something splashing or making waves.

FG, i have read you express concerns about your loss of creativity but just want to say that you clearly have a fine enquiring mind and diverse interests which inevitably lead to new ideas & im sure will prove attractive to a partner when the right one comes along

Thanks. I just hope that one day I will again be able to operate somewhere near the level I was at before the benzo. It's nice to get a creative idea popping into your head every few weeks but it's tough to accept the fact that it only comes around for a minute here and there when your creativity used to be the very core of your being  :-\

FG, are you sure it wasn't a Loch Ness Monster you saw?  :laugh:

Maybe it was a mermaid.

This happens whenever a man wants to meet the perfect woman :laugh:

I dont remember the story... what do you have to do to get a wife out of a mermaid?? ;D

I dont remember the story... what do you have to do to get a wife out of a mermaid?? ;D

I haven't heard that story but this "mermaid" had a quadruple chin and her beard was thicker than mine so I hope a makeover is included in the transformation  :)

Also, I'm not expecting a swimsuit model at this point but I don't think a 400 pounder is going to fit in my tiny house  :-\

I haven't heard that story but this "mermaid" had a quadruple chin and her beard was thicker than mine so I hope a makeover is included in the transformation  :)

Also, I'm not expecting a swimsuit model at this point but I don't think a 400 pounder is going to fit in my tiny house  :-\

The ways of love are strange indeed.. - you could ask her if you could install your house on her back.. so you can be together... - nice option to travel! But tell her she is not allowed to dive unless you have your home waterproof :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe that manatee was a mermaid in disguise?  If she sheds her manatee outfit, then there's probably a beautiful mermaid inside and you can go swimming with her.  I think when they come up on land then they are just humans and then you can take her out on dates.  I'm sure she'd love to date you.  If I lived in Florida, I'd date you.  You've always been very nice and kind and I've read your posts for years now.

Maybe that manatee was a mermaid in disguise?  If she sheds her manatee outfit, then there's probably a beautiful mermaid inside and you can go swimming with her.  I think when they come up on land then they are just humans and then you can take her out on dates.  I'm sure she'd love to date you.  If I lived in Florida, I'd date you.  You've always been very nice and kind and I've read your posts for years now.

Okey, now I can be honest. That manatee was me. I have been tricked by a fairy.

My wish was to live by the ocean and having a nice family.

Now see what she s done to me...

Looks like Marigold the mermaid is meeting Floridaguy in Florida?

Yeah. Feeling like a manatee right at the moment. The noise I make when I turn in bed or stand up are total manatee-style.

I have done a little research.. Meermaids need to find a man, who loves them from the heart, only then they will get a soul and be free. They swim through the sea or lakes and when they find a man, they will fall in love with him. But if he doesn't love them - they will be transformed into meerschaum.. :'(

There are some interesting sayings.. If a mermaid meets a man who has been cheating on a woman, he will be killed.

And according to some south german myths some mermaids even are able to walk as normal women among humans.. and will only show their real shape on saturday  :D (WHY????? because saturday is washing day?)

- Floridaguy you mentioned your german relatives.. any mermaids walking among them from monday til sunday exect saturday?

I thought Marigold and I were to rendezvous at a Beirgarten in Germany. Now I'm confused......

- Floridaguy you mentioned your german relatives.. any mermaids walking among them from monday til sunday exect saturday?

I guess I need to hang out with them on Saturday to find out  ???

I thought Marigold and I were to rendezvous at a Beirgarten in Germany. Now I'm confused......

ready and dressed up..

s-l300.gif

I guess I need to hang out with them on Saturday to find out  ???

be careful you could be forced to carry this one to a sea or ocean if it happens in the biergarten!

[/http://www.20min.ch/diashow/77278/77278-ryyQNnTFyNGGboLhVdnZmw.jpgb]

It is.

FG posted that link about Columbus searching for the New World and seeing these creatures that he thought must be mermaids when they were manatees.

Guess that’s how it started.

It could have gone to the Loch Ness Monster though.