Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hobbies

[Da...]

What hobbies do you guys have?

Withdrawal has limited my mobility and ability to do the things I once loved, but out of that have come new hobbies.

Mine are:

Playing Minecraft (obsessively! lol)

Helping husband develop his dropshipping website which will be selling printed products, mainly t shirts with funny designs and slogans on them. He opens the site, all being well, on Saturday 7.06.18 (will link here if allowed, will speak to mods first). I am hoping to feature a shirt promoting Benzo awareness.

I write code, self taught, not that brilliant I will admit, but I can do some. This can be quite tiring mentally and sometimes it's too much and trying to work out problems either drains me or fires my system up too much so I have to stop.

Drawing/art. I am an artist's daughter, drawing and art come very naturally to me.

Imagining. Sounds silly but I am good at imagining things, writing stories, I write fanfiction for tv shows etc.

I am a good learner too, I try to learn something new each day.

Try to hold on to as many hobbies as you can. I lost my ability to do anything physical like swimming or horse riding, things I love so much.

I guess my main "hobby" is sourcing inventory for my business. Technically it's work but I love doing it. I find everything from basic everyday household items to fine art to gold and silver and everything in between. Just wish I didn't have to do the rest of the mind numbing stuff that comes along with it  :-\

I recently moved to the coast so I have gotten back into saltwater fishing. It's too hot and humid right now to do anything outside in the daytime but I get out at night once a week or so. Nothing like the relaxation of being out on the water under the stars followed by the adrenaline rush of hooking a fish that puts up a serious fight. Landed a beautiful 24" redfish on the boat ramp next to the house tonight  :thumbsup:

I haven't been on it in a couple of years but I still have my vintage motorcycle and when the weather cools down I'd like to get it back on the road and do some riding again.

Oh yea, I also want to get back into metal detecting. Now that the beach is only a 10 minute drive away I wouldn't mind digging up some gold and other assorted treasure when the weather cools down.

Kinda obvious...photography.  Everywhere I look, I see it from the point of view of a camera eyepiece.  Walking around with people, saying things like "wow, this is great light here,"  holding up my index fingers and thumbs to form a frame.  Or "hey, did you see that guys face?  I'd love to shoot that face!"  I should have this checked.  Maybe there's a pill...

Kinda obvious...photography.  Everywhere I look, I see it from the point of view of a camera eyepiece.  Walking around with people, saying things like "wow, this is great light here,"  holding up my index fingers and thumbs to form a frame.  Or "hey, did you see that guys face?  I'd love to shoot that face!"  I should have this checked.  Maybe there's a pill...

I have dabbled in photography and I would like to learn more about it when (if) I get my brain back. One thing I really like about it is that it makes you look at the world from a different perspective. I like shooting with my macro lens. Something about tuning out the "big" world and focusing on things the size of ants really melts the stress away.

I get together with a buddy of mine once or twice a year, we head out to different locations here in FL to shoot pics for the day. We usually try to hit St Augustine (the oldest city in the US) once a year. I was going back through some pics we took there a couple of years ago and I actually took a few decent shots. Can't wait to go back up there when it cools down.

Reading, journal writing, watching movies. I'm trying to make my writing more purposeful lately because I'd like to eventually write for publication - not sure whether it would be slam poetry like I have done in the past, or maybe a memoir.

I also enjoy photography, though I know more about composing a shot than I do about camera settings and all that so it's very casual. My husband and I used to go urban exploring, where we find abandoned places like old mental hospitals or factories, research the history, and wander around taking pictures. I look forward to getting back into that once I'm feeling better and have an asbestos mask.

I will totally admit to enjoying LARP (Live Action Role Playing) and cosplay. People laugh because frankly it looks ridiculous especially from the outside, but there are some amazing game settings and systems for large groups of adults who want to dress up and play pretend.

I also keep enough pets that I think it qualifies as a hobby too! We have a dog, three cats, a bearded dragon, and a fish tank. Keeping everybody healthy, happy, and looking good is a labor of love. Long walks, camping trips, etc.

I've thought about taking up a physical craft, but I'll be a total beginner so I want to make sure I pick something that I will enjoy enough to follow through with learning it. Lots of ideas there.

Great thread idea!  :thumbsup:

Gwinna

I really enjoy working in my yard but now it's limited to weeding and cutting things back.

Since this stiff muscle thing I haven't planted anything new.

I do have fire spike bushes which really attracts butterflies :)

I love butterflies. :smitten:

Me, too bets  :smitten:

The fire spike bushes are in the Butterfly garden as attractive to butterflies....

Reading, journal writing, watching movies. I'm trying to make my writing more purposeful lately because I'd like to eventually write for publication - not sure whether it would be slam poetry like I have done in the past, or maybe a memoir.

I also enjoy photography, though I know more about composing a shot than I do about camera settings and all that so it's very casual. My husband and I used to go urban exploring, where we find abandoned places like old mental hospitals or factories, research the history, and wander around taking pictures. I look forward to getting back into that once I'm feeling better and have an asbestos mask.

I will totally admit to enjoying LARP (Live Action Role Playing) and cosplay. People laugh because frankly it looks ridiculous especially from the outside, but there are some amazing game settings and systems for large groups of adults who want to dress up and play pretend.

I also keep enough pets that I think it qualifies as a hobby too! We have a dog, three cats, a bearded dragon, and a fish tank. Keeping everybody healthy, happy, and looking good is a labor of love. Long walks, camping trips, etc.

I've thought about taking up a physical craft, but I'll be a total beginner so I want to make sure I pick something that I will enjoy enough to follow through with learning it. Lots of ideas there.

Great thread idea!  :thumbsup:

Gwinna

I like your choices, Gwinna!  Re/ photography, just three camera settings to know.  Shutter speed, "film" speed (ISO) and aperture.  Just look through the viewfinder to adjust exposure by adjusting those three things.  Helps to have a tripod if you're working in low light situations or using a telephoto lens.  Combine these things with what you already know about composition and you'll get some awesome pictures.  Shoot your role playing sessions!  Shoot your doctor!  (You can photograph him, too!)  :laugh:

I have dabbled in photography and I would like to learn more about it when (if) I get my brain back. One thing I really like about it is that it makes you look at the world from a different perspective. I like shooting with my macro lens. Something about tuning out the "big" world and focusing on things the size of ants really melts the stress away.

FG writes: "I would like to learn more about it when (if) I get my brain back."

Many us don't have enough time left to get our brains back (let alone our bodies), so we have to make do with whatever we've got left.

Like with a camera, you don't have to say "Awww man, I can't go out and take pictures today."  You can just go out and take one picture.  Just one.  I know you can do this, FG, cuz I've seen how much energy you can put into writing some of your posts...  :thumbsup:

Many us don't have enough time left to get our brains back (let alone our bodies), so we have to make do with whatever we've got left.

Like with a camera, you don't have to say "Awww man, I can't go out and take pictures today."  You can just go out and take one picture.  Just one.  I know you can do this, FG, cuz I've seen how much energy you can put into writing some of your posts...  :thumbsup:

I do take pictures, I know a little about lighting and I still have somewhat of an eye for composition (despite my diminished creativity) but I want to get proficient with the camera and that takes some brain power. I just have to be careful where I focus my cognitive energy cause I only have so much of it and making money is crucial right now so I can go shoot pics but "getting into it" just isn't an option for me at the moment. Maybe some day I will be able to live a full life where I have the overflowing cognitive energy like I had before I got sick but for now I have to settle with keeping things basic.

I do take pictures, I know a little about lighting and I still have somewhat of an eye for composition (despite my diminished creativity) but I want to get proficient with the camera and that takes some brain power. I just have to be careful where I focus my cognitive energy cause I only have so much of it and making money is crucial right now so I can go shoot pics but "getting into it" just isn't an option for me at the moment. Maybe some day I will be able to live a full life where I have the overflowing cognitive energy like I had before I got sick but for now I have to settle with keeping things basic.

Maybe it takes a little pump-priming to get the motor running?  ("Jump-start" is probably a better metaphor.)  It does take an enormous amount of will power when we're totally depleted like a dead battery.  We have to get to the point where we say "even if I drop dead doing this it's okay because continuing what I'm doing is no way to live."  That's an extreme point to reach, but it can be a breakthrough point.

Maybe it takes a little pump-priming to get the motor running?  ("Jump-start" is probably a better metaphor.)  It does take an enormous amount of will power when we're totally depleted like a dead battery.  We have to get to the point where we say "even if I drop dead doing this it's okay because continuing what I'm doing is no way to live."  That's an extreme point to reach, but it can be a breakthrough point.

It's not that. I can find the energy to take pictures and do other things but I have to be very careful because if I try to take on new projects the things I have going currently inevitably suffer. It's not really the act of shooting pictures, it's learning about a complicated activity and getting more in depth to allow me to produce the results I want that is the problem.

That might sound ridiculous but this is exactly what happens. If I try to get serious about a new hobby or try to build my social life, my business suffers and I just can't afford that right now.

I have managed to get back into saltwater fishing now that I live on the water and I can do the basics, I enjoy it but just like with anything else there is a learning curve so I might never really be good at it. Figuring out how to catch certain species, what time of year, what kind of bait to use, figuring out the tides....it requires a fair amount of cognitive horsepower to excel at anything. The good thing about it is that it doesn't involve a ton of memory or creativity to just get out and throw a line, relax and hope for a bite.

Maybe I am just too much of a perfectionist but when I do things I like to do them RIGHT, or at least feel like I am in the process of learning how to do it right. When I try to do something that requires a lot of brain power it's a slap in the face because inevitably I am faced with the reality that I simply cannot pick up on things like I should, and if I try to do so it negatively affects other aspects of my life.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

I got a new camera for my vacation this past weekend, and I've had so much fun! I'm going slowly with it, not worrying about learning it all at once, just getting back into the swing of it and figuring it out as I go. I got some great shots of our vacation, and it's been so relaxing to sort through them all choosing and sharing my favorites. Thanks for the little nudge of this conversation thread!

Gwinna