Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What do y’all do for a living?

[fr...]

Hey!

I’m new so sorry if there is already one, but I thought It would be cool to see what others are doing as professionals in spite of the benzo problems :)

I recently Graduated college and am entering mental health research for veterans.

Irony lol.

[25...]

Yeah, that's ironic, but this experience should give you some good perspective.

I'm a research biochemist at a land grant university for two more days.  Then I retire (well, semi-retire). 

I'm a reseller. I source inventory locally and sell online. It's a challenge with my cognitive issues but I am having more fun doing this than anything I have ever done in my life. Probably wouldn't have ended up in this business had it not been for getting sick, so I guess that's one positive things that has come out of this experience for me.

I'm a reseller. I source inventory locally and sell online. It's a challenge with my cognitive issues but I am having more fun doing this than anything I have ever done in my life. Probably wouldn't have ended up in this business had it not been for getting sick, so I guess that's one positive things that has come out of this experience for me.

Hi FloridaGuy! What kinds of inventory do you source which interests people to buy online? I'm in Australia, so no competition  :laugh:, just curious  :thumbsup: Harmonee

Hi FloridaGuy! What kinds of inventory do you source which interests people to buy online? I'm in Australia, so no competition  :laugh:, just curious  :thumbsup: Harmonee

I specialize in accessory type items like hats, belts, shoes and handbags but my inventory varies a lot. I have everything from gold and silver to fine art, sporting goods, antiques, medical equipment, electronics....all kinds of stuff.

I specialize in accessory type items like hats, belts, shoes and handbags but my inventory varies a lot. I have everything from gold and silver to fine art, sporting goods, antiques, medical equipment, electronics....all kinds of stuff.

Now that's what I call a  W  I  D  E  range!! Good for you FG!! Did you just think one day "hmmmmm.....think I'll start selling fashion accessories, sporting goods, antiques, medical equipment and fine arts online"? WOW, I'm impressed  :thumbsup: Have you always had such diverse taste?

Now that's what I call a  W  I  D  E  range!! Good for you FG!! Did you just think one day "hmmmmm.....think I'll start selling fashion accessories, sporting goods, antiques, medical equipment and fine arts online"? WOW, I'm impressed  :thumbsup: Have you always had such diverse taste?

How I got started is a long story but to make it short I had sold a few things off and on over the years, then a few years ago I saw a tv show that revolved around reselling and it just kind of clicked. I started out selling clothing and some odds and ends but eventually moved away from clothing and gravitated toward accessories. From there it's mostly a matter of selling what makes money, especially if it is small and easy to process and ship. Some of the things I sell such as the sporting goods, art and antiques I also sell because they interest me but mostly it's about selling what sells well and what I can make a decent profit on.

How I got started is a long story but to make it short I had sold a few things off and on over the years, then a few years ago I saw a tv show that revolved around reselling and it just kind of clicked. I started out selling clothing and some odds and ends but eventually moved away from clothing and gravitated toward accessories. From there it's mostly a matter of selling what makes money, especially if it is small and easy to process and ship. Some of the things I sell such as the sporting goods, art and antiques I also sell because they interest me but mostly it's about selling what sells well and what I can make a decent profit on.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That's brilliant FG!! It's interesting you say you sell what is profitable and is easily processed and shipped!. I run a "paper handling" business, a twilight industry  which was once quite a niche market and lucrative  :( PDF's have really changed our good fortune and breaks your intelligent criteria; it (nowadays) lacks good profits and (& has always lacked) easy logistics!! Great recipe you have there!!!  :thumbsup: Harnonee

Hey!

I’m new so sorry if there is already one, but I thought It would be cool to see what others are doing as professionals in spite of the benzo problems :)

I recently Graduated college and am entering mental health research for veterans.

Irony lol.

Well, at least you’re not a pdoc. Translations (telework) and photography as a sideline. Plus govt. disability benefit, which is a good idea under the circumstances. As working full-time has ruined my health. I’ve been sick since age 14, but studied and worked for many years as though I were healthy. All this BZD disaster made me realize that I’m not. And health comes first. Before the money. There will be no money without health.

:thumbsup:  Good for you, FG. 

Oh!  8)

Didn't you mention you would come to visit me in Germany.  I would appreciate it if you take a variety of examples with you. just for international understanding 8)

I own a small Real Estate Brokerage with my wife in the San Francisco area, where a condo will cost you a million bucks.  Winding down now, thankfully.  But this is career #3 for me.  Before that I was an application engineer for a large machine tool distribution firm.  Before that, I worked for the U.S. government, I guess you could say.  My education was in business and a couple of foreign languages.  Chinese Mandarin and Russian.  My sideline is photography, some paid gigs but mostly just for fun.  Portrait, stage and architectural, mainly.  Just picked up the new Nikon D850 DSLR and really enjoying it.  So tempted to jump into the video end of things now...that's where things are headed...video video...

I own a small Real Estate Brokerage with my wife in the San Francisco area, where a condo will cost you a million bucks.  Winding down now, thankfully.  But this is career #3 for me.  Before that I was an application engineer for a large machine tool distribution firm.  Before that, I worked for the U.S. government, I guess you could say.  My education was in business and a couple of foreign languages.  Chinese Mandarin and Russian.  My sideline is photography, some paid gigs but mostly just for fun.  Portrait, stage and architectural, mainly.  Just picked up the new Nikon D850 DSLR and really enjoying it.  So tempted to jump into the video end of things now...that's where things are headed...video video...

The Nikon D850. Good equipment :thumbsup: You’re right about the vids. Everything seems to be going more and more in the direction of the image. People don’t want to think. They just want images. Written word is becoming tiresome for people. Images are the future. And a really big money. If someone happens to hit the right target market. And has enough strength to persevere.

I'm not sure which on your Curriculum Vitae impresses me more??? I have to say your Nikon D850 DSLR has amazing specs (do you find it a tad heavy though?). The camera would apply well to your real estate profession, your application engineering, lol, you speak Mandarin and Russian and worked for the US Government (the Nikon D850 DSLR could have come in handy then too??)  :thumbsup:

That’s a really good joke ;D ;D ;D

How so? I don’t considerate to be a joke. I think my experience makes me quite passionate about it, actually.

Sorry. It just made me laugh. I have a dark sense of humor. I perfectly understand what it means to be passionate about a job. All these psych meds are so tricky, however...

I hope you’ll be able to help people with the experience you gained on BB. I seriously do. I have a wonderful pdoc. We now co-operate in perfect harmony. After a few experiments, which didn’t go so well...

Oh!  8)

Didn't you mention you would come to visit me in Germany.  I would appreciate it if you take a variety of examples with you. just for international understanding 8)

Strictly for research purposes, of course.

I actually Want to be a psychiatrist lol.

The irony of it all!!

When in high school I remember thinking about going into the field of psychiatry. I even subscribed to Psychology Today. I remember looking forward to each issue…the subject on the brain/human nature fascinated me.

Never saw myself tapping into one the most, if not the most prolific resource on this very subject….Benzo Buddies. I like the fact that it’s not just localized but is international in scope.

Oh!  8)

Strictly for research purposes, of course.

:D

I'm not sure which on your Curriculum Vitae impresses me more??? I have to say your Nikon D850 DSLR has amazing specs (do you find it a tad heavy though?). The camera would apply well to your real estate profession, your application engineering, lol, you speak Mandarin and Russian and worked for the US Government (the Nikon D850 DSLR could have come in handy then too??)  :thumbsup:

Nah, the D850 doesn't seem heavy at all, just the right size and weight compared to the D3 it replaced.  Besides, I usually just have a lightweight 50mm prime on it.  I enjoy photographing creative people doing their thing.  Stage actors, musicians.  Love the work of Mick Rock and others like him back in the 70's...don't know how they survived it.  I don't shoot houses anymore...dreadful work, but it was useful in terms of understanding lighting.

I actually Want to be a psychiatrist lol.

The irony of it all!!

When in high school I remember thinking about going into the field of psychiatry. I even subscribed to Psychology Today. I remember looking forward to each issue…the subject on the brain/human nature fascinated me.

Never saw myself tapping into one the most, if not the most prolific resource on this very subject….Benzo Buddies. I like the fact that it’s not just localized but is international in scope.

"...the subject on the brain/human nature fascinated me."

Blue Rose, I can totally relate.  I'm a brains & behavior junkie.  How it all ties into evolution...that sort of stuff.  It can get a little spooky after awhile though...looking into a mirror and seeing just a slightly modified monkey.  :idiot:

Blue Rose, I can totally relate.  I'm a brains & behavior junkie.  How it all ties into evolution...that sort of stuff.  It can get a little spooky after awhile though...looking into a mirror and seeing just a slightly modified monkey.  :idiot:

Same here. I didn't finish college but in the year I was there I took a sociology class and absolutely loved it. Before I got sick I also put a lot of time into studying and discussing relationships and sexuality. I was fascinated by the way men and women interact and how the compulsion to perpetuate the species controls or influences pretty much everything we do.

Monkeys, indeed.