Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Santa Fe shooter on Ritalin

[Be...]

I agree with that FG.  Even if we weren't religious when we were kids, we still were raised with Christian values in school, but maybe not at home for everyone.  Some parents had christian values about how to treat people and some parents didn't.  It was reinforced in schools, then.  I know someone who is about 7 years younger than I am and he has no Christian values about to treat people and he's verbally abusive.  I guess he didn't have a parent at home who told him to shut up when he said something that wasn't nice.  Kids need more discipline these days.  Even a smart look from me as an adult would get me in big trouble.  Now kids talk back to their parents all the time.  I think parents are afraid to discipline their children now for fear of the kids calling them abusive or else the paretns think there's nothing wrong with the way their kids act until they really hurt someone.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fl...]

• [Be...]

• [Ph...]

• [Gr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[f5...]

This issue of guns doesn't have to be complicated.  There was a time when most people in our society basically knew what the rules were.  There was a consensus.  People in general followed the rules.  There were clear definitions of right and wrong, and the prevailing myths taught that there were consequences...even eternal ones...to breaking the rules.  As much as many people don't want to hear this and will cover their ears, stomp their feet and scream like a toddler so they can't hear it, the rules were based on Judeo-Christian ethics and myths.  (Gasp!!)  At least half of this forum's members were not yet alive when these rules prevailed and society "worked."  They were born into chaos, strife, confusion (much of it manufactured) and the tube and know nothing else.  There are new myths now, with a host of supporting memes reinforced by every tap on your device.  But they don't work.  The previous world was compatible with guns.  The new world isn't.

Sometimes the answers are clear and simple but at the same time totally unacceptable...because to apply them we'd need to go back and try again.  And that would reverse progress.  Right?

Sure, Like the zodiac killer and all the other lovely serial killers, right?

There's a show tonight by an MD doc who believes there's a link between using antidepressants and the school shooters.  Here's the link and I hope I can listen to it.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/

Thanks for the heads up. I set my timer so I will remember to listen.

FG, you're on the east coast like I am so it should be on at 1am on the AM radio. Not sure what time it is online.  Maybe 10pm?  It comes from the west coast.  It starts at 10pm on the west coast and 1am here on the east coast because of the time difference.

I'm starting to think it's more than just antidepressants, it's also what happens to you, when society tells you that there's something wrong with you and you need to take medicine to right the wrongs in your brain, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about this.  I also think this isn't true for many many people.  Therapy and the way we think about things CAN help anxiety, depression, and many other things that people are getting prescribed drugs for. 

I'm really think that learning empathy towards others and the value of treating them in a fair and kind manner, is the key to solving the violence problem.  Kind of like what you said, Becks,  it's not so much being religious, but the values,  the idea that we should treat others as we wish to be treated, not because Jesus or God says so, but because that's how we want other to treat us. 

There is a kind of helplessness one feels when you think that the anxiety, depression, or other annoying things you feel are just happening randomly, instead of with meaning.  And I think we are doing a disservice to children today by diagnosing them at all, when it seems like most of them are just trying really hard to exist in this messed up system that we have created for them.

Now Roseanne Barr is blaming Ambien for her tweet that got her show cancelled.  She said she was "Ambien tweeting" when she made her racial comment about Valerie Jarret.  The company that makes Ambien said their drugs are not to blame.  Those drugs sure can make people say things that they normally wouldn't say.  They made me blow up at my one boss that got me in big trouble and led to my demise at work.

Now Roseanne Barr is blaming Ambien for her tweet that got her show cancelled.  She said she was "Ambien tweeting" when she made her racial comment about Valerie Jarret.  The company that makes Ambien said their drugs are not to blame.  Those drugs sure can make people say things that they normally wouldn't say.  They made me blow up at my one boss that got me in big trouble and led to my demise at work.

Exactly!  Ambien is just one of the hundreds of brain damaging psychiatric medications on the market that need to be banned!

This issue of guns doesn't have to be complicated.  There was a time when most people in our society basically knew what the rules were.  There was a consensus.  People in general followed the rules.  There were clear definitions of right and wrong, and the prevailing myths taught that there were consequences...even eternal ones...to breaking the rules.  As much as many people don't want to hear this and will cover their ears, stomp their feet and scream like a toddler so they can't hear it, the rules were based on Judeo-Christian ethics and myths.  (Gasp!!)  At least half of this forum's members were not yet alive when these rules prevailed and society "worked."  They were born into chaos, strife, confusion (much of it manufactured) and the tube and know nothing else.  There are new myths now, with a host of supporting memes reinforced by every tap on your device.  But they don't work.  The previous world was compatible with guns.  The new world isn't.

Sometimes the answers are clear and simple but at the same time totally unacceptable...because to apply them we'd need to go back and try again.  And that would reverse progress.  Right?

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote but I would replace the word "guns" with something else. Maybe "itself"?? Maybe society is no longer compatible with itself.

Guns are simply a means to an end. If you could somehow snap your fingers and get rid of all of the guns tomorrow, you don't truly believe that this would solve the problem, do you? Of course it wouldn't because guns are just the most convenient method for these killers to achieve their goals (and maybe guns make the biggest statement?). People commit mass killing using trucks and homemade explosives as well. What are we going to do, ban vehicles, fertilizer and diesel fuel? Why isn't anyone campaigning to get rid of these other things? Gun control advocates won't even engage in that discussion because it exposes the holes in their argument.

And as far as the Judeo-Christian ethics thing goes, I grew up Lutheran but from a pretty young age I knew religion wasn't really for me. When I grew up I wasn't as bad as some people when it came to mocking religion but I did have a few laughs at its expense along the way.

The thing is, the older I get the more I realize that this is what built the prosperous and relatively safe society we live in today and I believe that the slow death of christianity plays a big role in these problems we are seeing today.

FG says  <<'Maybe society is no longer compatible with itself.">>

I like the way you put this.  Societies and successful civilizations evolve over time, similar to the way organisms evolve.  Good ideas that are implemented allow them to flourish.  Bad ideas that are implemented cause them to die.  This is why the study of real history is so important to a successful society.  I'm sorry to say that our civilization and our society is now undergoing assisted suicide.

Societies and successful civilizations evolve over time, similar to the way organisms evolve. 

Another thing we have to factor in is the fact that civilization has changed dramatically over the last 100 years and particularly over the last 30 or so years. The human body simply cannot adapt to these kinds of changes over the course of a few decades or even centuries. A little over 100 years ago we didn't have cars or electricity. TV wasn't a big thing until maybe the 40's. The internet has only been around since the mid 90's. How much has our diet changed in recent years?

It's no wonder we have problems. It's just too bad that so many people are satiated with unhealthy food and technology to the point where they don't even bother to take a look around to see what is really going on.

This also could be a weird effect of overpopulation.  I know that might sound weird, but I often think that living in cities is inhumane. 

[f5...]

IMO, much of the political "drama" going on the internet and in the real world might have been started by secret agencies, then other people unknowingly fueled it. Who knows if some of these shootings aren't false-flag operations?

Politics is power, and if anything can be used to exert influence on people, don't think that they aren't using.

I do believe that a lot of instability started with the mortgage backed securities gone out of control in 2007-2008 period. The Wall Street may have recovered from that, but many people have lost their careers and houses due to that.

Also, post 9/11 tension had also created a market for psych drugs.

I don't recall people being on a whole lot of psychiatric drugs in the 90's. Yes, some of us may have been taking AD's, but I hardly recall seeing anyone being polydrugged those days. Most people either drank, smoked pot or took AD's. Life was simpler then. There were not a whole lot of combinations and permutations. Usually people would stick to one thing, whatever that was, and people used to be far more cautious with their social drugs and prescription drugs in general. The polypharmacy became more prominent in 00's, and much more prominent after 2007-2008. Then it got worse and worse by the year....

Sure, Like the zodiac killer and all the other lovely serial killers, right?

You missed my point.  Sorry I wasn't clear enough.  Serial killers, who have existed down through the ages (Jack the Ripper, etc.) and who prey on individuals are not what I'm talking about.  These psychopaths use a variety of methods to stalk and kill individual victims.  Strangulation, stabbing, poisoning, etc.  My post above is in reference to the recent outbreak of gun-related massacres.  (One of these did occur in 1966 at the University of Texas, perpetrated by Charles Whitman, who left a note pleading for a brain autopsy after his death, which was conducted and found a massive brain tumor.)  Such clear-cut reasons for the recent outbreak of gun-related mass killings are not being found.  No brain tumors have been reported.  There's something else afoot.  And yeah, we have to ask if society in general has taken a wrong turn in the road and is headed for a cliff.

I believe some of these shootings could be false flag events so that the govs can take our guns away.

[81...]

I believe some of these shootings could be false flag events so that the govs can take our guns away.

Opinions are fine, but I’ll have to caution everyone to stay away from conspiracy theories to avoid having this thread locked – thanks.

I'm starting to think it's more than just antidepressants, it's also what happens to you, when society tells you that there's something wrong with you and you need to take medicine to right the wrongs in your brain, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about this.  I also think this isn't true for many many people.  Therapy and the way we think about things CAN help anxiety, depression, and many other things that people are getting prescribed drugs for. 

I'm really think that learning empathy towards others and the value of treating them in a fair and kind manner, is the key to solving the violence problem.  Kind of like what you said, Becks,  it's not so much being religious, but the values,  the idea that we should treat others as we wish to be treated, not because Jesus or God says so, but because that's how we want other to treat us. 

There is a kind of helplessness one feels when you think that the anxiety, depression, or other annoying things you feel are just happening randomly, instead of with meaning.  And I think we are doing a disservice to children today by diagnosing them at all, when it seems like most of them are just trying really hard to exist in this messed up system that we have created for them.

Exactly what I think! Psychiatry forgets that, as said by philosopher Ortega y Gasset, "I am I and my circumstance". We can change our circumstance instead of taking brain altering drugs. Mainstream psychology's approach, although less dangerous because it doesn't involve drugs, is not much better because it also focuses on altering the self irrespective of circumstances. It's all about coping (a word I hate) when it should be about changing our circumstance.

Clarification: changing our circumstances means, for example, quitting a job that's killing us, getting a divorce instead of taking antidepressants, firing a doctor that's not helping us, moving home, town, country, etc. Different circumstances will eventually change us. What we need is action, not meds :)

Exactly what I think! Psychiatry forgets that, as said by philosopher Ortega y Gasset, "I am I and my circumstance". We can change our circumstance instead of taking brain altering drugs. However, mainstream psychology's approach, although less dangerous because it doesn't involve drugs, is not much better because it also focuses on altering the self irrespective of circumstances. It's all about coping (a word I hate) when it should be about changing our circumstance.

This is true of medicine in general. If more doctors encouraged weight loss and general good health it would put half of them out of business, so instead the solution is "a prescription at everything". To be clear, I believe that most of them believe that they are truly helping people and society itself is guilty of wanting quick and easy fixes, but that doesn't change the fact that so many problems could be solved by actually addressing the root of the issue instead of trying to treat the symptoms. 

What a horrible thread, it ought to be locked. Oy.

Why do you feel this a horrible thread?  We're discussing possible underlying causes for mass gun-related violence.  No issues are more important than this one to our society.  When kids are massacred at schools it goes to the top of the list.  It's a great thread.  As far as I can tell there has been only one goofy conspiracy theory comment.  Threats of locking the thread seem premature.  This isn't China (yet).

Why do you feel this a horrible thread?  We're discussing possible underlying causes for mass gun-related violence.

People are here to heal from benzo withdrawal, not to ponder gun violence or be exposed to unsubstantiated theories about it.  It's not conducive to benzo withdrawal and just counterproductive.  That's my opinion and you are free to disagree with it.  But those who truly want to heal share my opinion.

That's my opinion and you are free to disagree with it.  But those who truly want to heal share my opinion.

So anyone who wants to discuss topics that go beyond what directly relates to us in regard to benzos doesn't truly want to heal?

I understand that some people are a little more sensitive when they are sick but the title of this is pretty clear and everyone has a choice whether or not to click on it.

What a horrible thread, it ought to be locked. Oy.

Why do you feel this a horrible thread?  We're discussing possible underlying causes for mass gun-related violence.  No issues are more important than this one to our society.  When kids are massacred at schools it goes to the top of the list.  It's a great thread.  As far as I can tell there has been only one goofy conspiracy theory comment.  Threats of locking the thread seem premature.  This isn't China (yet).

We all know that JR Smith is responsible for all of the current chaos in the world.

I understand that some people are a little more sensitive when they are sick but the title of this is pretty clear and everyone has a choice whether or not to click on it.

That's where you're wrong, we shouldn't have to have gun violence topic shoved down our throats, not even from the thread title itself.  This isn't TV channels assortment, but rather a website that's dedicated to promoting the healing of benzo victims.  Until you get that fact into your head, we have nothing to talk about.  If you're so curious about gun violence and you wish to engage in discussions about it, go to other websites that are dedicated to gun violence, or better yet start your own.  But this place isn't it.  Some people are here for the wrong reasons, and I don't necessarily mean you.  They promote negativity by starting objectionable and offensive threads, which have nothing to do with benzo healing or recovery, even if in 'off topic."