Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Toxic mold

[DB...]

Does anyone suspect toxic mold could be causing symptoms? My wife is convinced after reading an article online that we're in a toxic mold environment. She does believe benzos are causing symptoms, but thinks mold is the reason my recovery is going slow. I've showed her most people take over a year to be healed, but she not really buying that. Not sure how or what to say. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone suspect toxic mold could be causing symptoms? My wife is convinced after reading an article online that we're in a toxic mold environment. She does believe benzos are causing symptoms, but thinks mold is the reason my recovery is going slow. I've showed her most people take over a year to be healed, but she not really buying that. Not sure how or what to say. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've actually thought about this. I've read the reports as well. I'm so lost as where to turn anymore I don't know what to think, but it's interesting you bring this up

My wife is really worried about this. At this point we haven't had any reason to believe it's a problem, no testing has been done. She so strongly believes it she ready to move. Seems a bit crazy to me, but maybe I am crazy. Haha! Thanks

i think when you read about most of these trendy labels on health conditions - they all read the same.  i fully understand wanting to find some logical explanation for what is happening because initially - it seems inconceivable that these legally prescribed meds that are handed out like candy can do this...... but ultimately - things like candida, SIBO, mold, etc.,  they all exist and do cause problems but they are not the answer to what is going on.  and the treatments to resolve them are pretty harsh.

a benzo damaged brain is very sensitive so the strong herbs used in most of the treatment protocols are going to be pretty tough to tolerate.  don't allow someone to convince you that you are not healing because of these things.  i waited until i was fully recovered to treat SIBO - which i had confirmed through testing - came from the many antibiotics i had to take for lymes.  it took 2 two week courses of a very expensive med to reduce the SIBO to the point i was not testing positive and it was a tough few weeks - could not imagine going through that at the same time as withdrawal.  after treating the SIBO - there was no noticeable changes  / improvements - so  - fixing those things is not going to produce the miracle of suddenly being well. 

what i can say - is i'm now almost 11 full months off and many of the aches and pains and other things i attributed to being lingering lymes or damage from lymes - have all gone away - so - these meds cause a lot of damage in many places and over time - it will all get better.  i took the path of just suffering it out - i didnt try any supplements to ease the symptoms and i recovered pretty quickly - under 6 months and at 11 months  - life is getting better and better

i'm not saying mold , candida, SIBO, lymes, etc don't matter - i'm just saying if you feel like you are suffering immensely  - its most likely the torture of benzo withdrawal and throwing treating those into the mix may make things even harder..... i fully recovered with a pretty full blown case of SIBO - it didnt prevent my healing and clearly wasnt contributing to the majority of my tough symptoms....

Benzos aside - would you even consider living somewhere with potential mold? You should be scheduling a mold consultation, not posting on here. I don’t think your wife is crazy.

Ssri that's an incredible response. That helps me a lot thank you.

What made you think you had sibo? Did you have lymes?

Redevan, no just me. She really struggles with my issues as do I. This withdrawal is a hard thing to believe when you have your doctors, friends and family thinking it's anxiety and we should be on meds. Ugh!

Benzobefree, no I don't, but it seems a bit rash to blame it on mold. So so many toxins in any one home that can cause these symptoms. I didn't have these symptoms before benzo and the other 3 that love do have any either.

We are going to have testing done, but she said there are certain heavy molds that can't be detected. So, should we move without any evidence of this? I really believe I'm in withdrawal, at least that whay I hope. But, maybe I'm crazy...

Thanks for the replys. It's good to get feedback.

[97...]

Mould made my symptoms dangerously worse. Not saying mould CAUSED my symptoms, but withdrawal weakens the immune system considerably, so it makes sense that opportunistic pathogens would take advantage of the situation.

Although my husband remained unaffected by the mould (at least as far as overt symptoms go), we were forced to move. My symptoms then improved. (We had no chemical products, pesticides, or other toxins in our home.)

Not trying to scare anyone, but mould should always be taken seriously. (A good humidifier, set at 46%, can help...)

If mold is causes the benzo withdrawal to get revved up, you should have some relief if you are away from the house for a few days.  I'm not trying to kick you out of your house, but I am saying that a vacation is way less stressful than moving. 

As Ruby said, any suspicion of mold should be checked out.

Happy wife, happy life. You're walking a dangerous line my friend.