Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lets Share recipes!

[as...]

this is my mom's recipe that's now a family favorite. Browning the chicken cutlets is a bit time consuming and messy, but the great things about this dish are (1) you can do all but the baking ahead of time and then just stick it in the oven when you're ready (2) it's even better on day 2 and day 3, so we make extra for leftovers.

Chicken Kelly

4 Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into bite sized pieces/chunks

2 eggs

1 C of italian bread crumbs (I usually need more than 1 C, though)

1 T margarine or butter

3/4 to 1 lb of sliced mushrooms (regular or Crimini)

Sliced muenster cheese - enough to cover a casserole dish

2 cubes of chicken bouillon

1 C water

Oil

Marinate the chicken in the beaten egg at least 2 hours (can do overnight)

Put bread crumbs in ziplock baggie. Add fresh chopped parsley and/or fresh garlic if desired (there's already some seasoning in the italian variety of bread crumbs, though)

Add the chicken pieces. Shake to coat

Brown the chicken bits in the oil; drain on a paper towel

Melt the margarine or butter and spread it on the bottom of a 9x13 pyrex dish or casserole dish

Add the chicken layer

Add a layer of mushrooms

Cover with the slices of cheese

Dissolve the bouillon cubes in water (and stir) then pour over the casserole

Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Stir and serve - we often serve with brown rice or rice pilaf.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mi...]

• [as...]

• [le...]

• [Ka...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, been following this thread, printing off the wonderful recipes.. I'll share some of my favorite:

CHICKEN BREASTS DIJON:

1/4  cup flour

1      tsp salt

1/4  tsp freshly group pepper

8      chicken breasts (half's) skinned and boned

2      tlbs butter

2      tlbs light olive oil

3      tlbs butter

3      tlbs four

3      tlbs Dijon-style mustard (my favorite is one from France, but a quality one is fine)

1.5  cups of milk (1 1/2 cups)

3/4  cup of dry white wine

1      tsp sale

1/4  tsp dried tarragon leaves

1.  Mix 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp sale, and the pepper in a bowl, Dredge chicken in flour mixture. Saute chicken in large skillet, in 2 tlbs butter with oil, until both sides are golden, about 10 minutes in total; turn once only.  Arrange in single layer in baking dish. Layer uncooked sliced mushroom over chicken.

2.  Melt 3 tlbs butter in medium saucepan. Whist in 3 tlbs flour and the Dijon mustard.  Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture bubbles.  Wish in milk, wine, 1 tsp salt and tarragon.  Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles for 1 minute.  Pour sauce over chicken.**

3.  Bake covered until chicken is tender.  Bake at 350 preheated oven.

**Chicken can be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance. refrigerate covered.  Increase baking time, until cooked.

This is a Delicious dish, sounds more difficult then it is.  I serve it with Rice Pilaf.  Sometimes I double the sauce, especially if the chicken are larger. Also, if you do this for a buffet, garnish the serving platter with Red grapes and Watercress... really pretty. 

POTATOES GRATIN DAUPHINOS:  (this is yummy!)

4        cups very thinly sliced portatoes

1        tsp salt

1/4    tsp freshly ground pepper

1/8    tsp freshly grated nutmeg

1        clove of garlic, very finely minced

1 1/4  cups grated Gryuere or Emmenthaler cheese

4        tlbs butter

2        eggs, lightly beaton

1        cup cream

2        tlbs freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375. In large bowl, toss to coat throughly the potatoes with 1/2 tsp of the salt, 1/8 tsp of the pepper, the nutmeg, and garlic.  Place 1/3rd of the seasoned potatoes in the bottom of a well buttered shallow baking dish, springe with 1/3 of the cheese, dot with 1/3 of the butter.  Repeat twice.  In a small bowl, beat eggs, cream and remaining salth and pepper.  Pour evenly over layers and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake covered for 35-40 minutes.  Remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes, or until potatoes are softened and the top is golden brown and bubbly.     

This can be made morning of... just increase cooking time.

This is a very easy dish to prepare, it is wonderful...

FILLET OF SOLE GRUYERE:

3    tlbs butter

1    medium onion, sliced

1/2  lb mushrooms, sliced

1    cup grated Gruyere cheese

4    fillets of sole

Sale and freshly ground pepper to taste

1/2  tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 400.  Melt butter in skillet, lightly saute onion and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes. Butter a shallow baking dish and cover the bottom with half of the onion and mushroom mixture.  Sprinkle with half of the cheese.  Fold each fillet in half (head to toe  :laugh:) and arrange over the onion mixture, slightly overlapping.  Top fillets with remaining onion and mushrooms, then remaining cheese.  Season with salt, pepper and paprika.  Bake 20 - 30 minutes, then brown quickly under the broiler until the cheese bubbles.  Serve immediately. 

A dear friend of mine, gave me this... Great!

CHIMICHANGAS:          (These are baked, not fried, and are crispy and tasty)

Filling:

1/2      tsp salt

1        lb lean ground beef

1        clove garlic, crushed

1        tsp ground cumin

1        tsp dried oregano

1/4      cup canned chopped chiles

1/4      bottleed taco sauce (mild)

1/4      cup sour cream

2        tlbs worcester sauce

Assembly:

1/2      cup butter

6        large flour tortillas

4        oz Cheddar cheese, shredded

1/2      cup bottled picante sauce

2        avacados, sliced, or guacamole

Sprinkle salt in skillet, place over medium heat. Add beef, garlic and spices. Cook and stir with a fork until meat crumbles and loses it pink color.  Stir in remaining filling ingredients, remove from heat and cook.

Melt butter in 10 inch skillet.  Place each tortilla in warm butter until soft, drain and place on a flat surface.  Mound a large spoonful of filling in center of torilla and fold envelope fashion to seal filling inside. Place tortillas seam side down in large baking dish.

Bake in a 450 oven for 15 minutes.  Sprinkle with cheese, return to oven for a few second to melt cheese. Serve with sour cream, picante sauce and avacados or guacamole.   

Another from my friend:

CHILE RELLENO PIE:    (excellent!)

8  ounces shopped green chiles

1  lb grated Monterey Jack cheese

4  eggs, beaten

4  cups milk

1  cup flour

2  tsp salt

Paprika

Line an oiled 9 x 13 inch baking pan with chiles.  Sprinkle cheese over chiles. Combine eggs, milk, flour and sale, beat until frothy.  Pour over chiles and cheese.  Sprinkle paprika on top and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  Lower heat to 325 and continue baking for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. 

One of my favorites, served with the Potatoe recipe above:

ROAST BEEF TENDERLOIN WITH MADEIRA AND PRUNES:

24        pitted prunes

1 1/2    cups Malmsey Madeira

3          tlbs vegetable oil

One 4-lb trimmed and tied beef tenderloin roast

Salt and freshly ground pepper

2          large shallots, minced

1          cup red wine

2          cups chicken stock (low sodium)

2          tlbs "cold" unsalted butter.

1.  One to two days ahead, put prunes in a nonreactive bowl and cover with the Madeira.  Set aside at room temperature to plump.

2.  Preheat oven to 450.  In a large roasting plan, set over two burners, heat the oil over moderately high heat.  Season the beef with sale and pepper.  When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the meat to the pan and brown it well on all sides.

3.  Transfer the pan to the oven, roast the meat for doneness you like; use meat thermometer.  Let roast rest on warmed platter, covered loosely with foil.

4.  Discard the fat in the roasting plan.  Set pan over two burners, add the shallots and red wine, simmer over low heat until wine is reduced by half, about 8 minutes.  Increase heat to moderately high, add 1 1/2 cups of the chicken stock and boil until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.  Add the prune soaking liquid and boil until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 7 minutes.  Pour the sauce into a saucepan.  Add the soaked prunes and the ramining 1/2 cup of stock and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally; the sauce will thicken slightly.

5.  Slice beef into sixteen slices (serves 8).  Pour meat juices into sauce and stir in the butter, 1 tlbs at a time.  Season with salt and pepper..  Serve sauce with meat...

This really is a very easy dish.  It is fabulous.  Want a laugh.. My hubby "hates" prunes.  I decided to make this for Christmas Eve a few years ago, family gathering... He raved about the sauce all evening...  Finally fessed up the next day.. Prunes are ok in taste now!  LOL

This is a winner! My husband isn't a fan of turkey burger but he loved this recipe. I buy the ground thigh burger instead of breast since it is more flavorful and has a higher fat content which makes for better burgers.

Jerk Turkey Burgers with Mango Slaw

Ingredients

1 pound ground turkey

1 tablespoon jerk seasoning, plus more for sprinkling

1 small green apple, peeled and grated

1/2 cup finely chopped scallions

1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

1/4 cup mayonnaise, plus more for brushing

1/4 cup mango chutney, roughly chopped

3 cups shredded green cabbage

1 carrot, shredded

Canola oil, for the grill

4 hamburger buns or challah rolls, split

Directions

Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Mix the turkey, jerk seasoning, apple, 1/4 cup scallions and the panko in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Form into four 1-inch-thick patties and make a small indentation in the middle of each with your thumb to prevent it from puffing up on the grill. Refrigerate.

Whisk the mayonnaise and chutney in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, carrot and the remaining 1/4 cup scallions, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.

Brush the grill with canola oil. Grill the turkey patties until browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Brush the cut sides of the buns with mayonnaise and sprinkle with jerk seasoning; toast on the grill, about 30 seconds. Serve the burgers and slaw on the buns.

I just have to say thanks for this recipe, I finally tried it today.  I didn't use jerk seasoning because I didn't have it but I had one that was really good. I had very little time to cook and these went together quickly.  My hub said they were excellent and the last time I made turkey burgers he said "Why".  This recipe is a keeper for me.

I just have to say thanks for this recipe, I finally tried it today.  I didn't use jerk seasoning because I didn't have it but I had one that was really good. I had very little time to cook and these went together quickly.  My hub said they were excellent and the last time I made turkey burgers he said "Why".  This recipe is a keeper for me.

Hi PG,

I wasn't able to find jerk seasoning at the local grocery store so I ended up using Lawry's Jerk Marinade and it worked just fine. Anyway glad to hear it was a hit at your house.

Leslie

• 3 months later...

Baked ginger lemon salmon with spinach

In a baking pan place a bag of fresh spinach. (just the spinach ,not the bag LOL)

In top of it  place salmon fillets sprinkled with grated ginger root, a tiny bit of grated garlic, salt, black pepper and lemon juice.

pre heat oven at 375 degrees and bake it for 25-30 minutes until the salmon is cooked.

Mash an avocado with lemon juice, black pepper and salt and serve on top of salmon.

I love it with roasted garlic potatoes or mash potatoes yummmmmm.

The credit for this goes to Laura2010, or her mother more accurately. so delicious and nutricious.

Skyy I'm making those eggs, even just for myself, maybe just fewer. I love crab!

This is fun!  :smitten:

Making this tonight! Thought I would bump it as salmon is good for our brains!

Thanks Laura! This thread needs some more recipes...anyone? I like the 5 or less ingredient kind. :)

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=i.4721969370236246&pid=1.7&w=94&h=67&c=7&rs=1

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother's meatloaf receipe... All I have shared this with love it... 

1    lb of Ground Round

1/4  lb of Ground Pork

1/4  Lb of Ground Veal

3 slices of bread (wheat if you can)

1 medium red onion

1 medium tomato

Small amount of milk or substitute if you are intolerant to dairy

1 egg

Parsley (I use dryed)

Pepper & Salt

1 - Bring meats to room temp.

2 - Bread in food processor, grind..add milk (or subsitute) and let sit.

3 - Chop onion finely

4 - Chop red tomato finely (with skin)

5 - Squeeze liquid out of bread

6 - Mix everything.. mix really well.

7 - Add beaten egg, mix

8 - Add some parsley, pepper & salt ( to your taste)

HAND MIX ALL AGAIN.

Shape into oval loaf... Slice two small slices of butter or what you want to use on top.. Sprinkle more parsley on top... Bake in preheated oven at 325 for 1 hr 45 minutes.  It is great.  Wonderful sandwiches the next days also.

Enjoy.. Patty

• 1 month later...

Pioneer Potato Soup

1 Quart (5 cups) chicken stock or see alternative at bottom of recipe for msg free making your own stock from a ham bone

2 cups chopped or shredded ham

4 cups chopped potatoes

2 cups sliced carrots

1/2 cup sliced celery

1/4 cup chopped onion or 1 bunch leeks if available (fry sliced leeks in butter first but don't overcook or they'll taste burnt)

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. marjoram, dillweed or cumin

1/8 tsp. white pepper (this is hot so beware)

1 cup milk, 1/2 and 1/2 or unsweetened whipping cream depending on whether you are calorie counting or not

2 Tbsp. flour

To prepare:

1.  Alternative to chicken stock for no msg recipe ... stew part of a ham with bone for approx. 4 hours, add 2 bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper corns, remove bone then combine broth with all ingredients except milk and flour, bring to a boil, simmer 30 minutes.

2.  Gradually add milk to flour, stirring till smooth then stir into the soup.

3.  To thicken bring soup to a boil (1 minute) stirring constantly.

4.  Garnish as desired with paprika, sliced green onion if you didn't use leeks, snipped chives, parsley or Parmesan cheese if you can handle the msg in it.  None of these are really necessary though.

We had this for supper tonight and every mouthfull was heaven.

I'm putting 2 recipe's on. 1 is the easiest roast you will ever make and is so good. The other is a decadent coconut cake that is so rich and yummy everyone will love you. Keep in mind these recipe's are fattening. :)  OK for the Roast, you will need a 3or 4 pound chuck roast, 2 cans cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom or 1 of each. 2 pkg of brown gravy mix, 2 cups of water. You can just put roast in roaster pan and mix other ingredient's and pour over top. Or i brown my roast in oil, then pour the other ingredients on top. Bake 350 for 3 or 4 hours. You have your roast and gravy. very yummy.  For the cake you will need. 1 yellow cake mix. Bake to directions. Poke holes in top. Mix 1 can sweetncondenced milk and 1 can cream of coconut together, pour over cake. Let cool. Mix 1 container of cool whip and 1 small bag flaked coconut. Spread over top. Its very rich and yummy. Makes a 9x13 cake. Be careful if sugar revs you up. But your family will Love, Love, Love you. Enjoy! Love Jackie  :smitten:

• 4 weeks later...
I took forever to find this blog :idiot: OK so today I'm sharing a recipe my friend gave me. She said its so yummy. I will be making this Xmas eve along with Olive Gardens Zuppa Toscana Soup and a couple yummy cheeseballs. This recipe is called THE SANDWICH.  1 loaf of french bread, 1/3 pound thin slice ham, 1/3 pound thin sliced roast beef, 1 pkg with 10 slices of Swiss cheese, 1 large can mushrooms (drained). For the Sauce- 1 stick of butter, 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds, 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes, 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt, 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Preheat oven to 350. Make sauce stir up and set aside. Slice bread longways to open bread. Layer cheese then meat add mushrooms and layer last row of cheese. Drizzle some of the sauce over cheese. Close sandwich and cut slivers on top like for pieces only not all the way through. Drizzle remainder sauce in cuts. wrap in tin foil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes. ENJOY! Love ya Jackie

• 1 year later...

Eating right was helpful in my recovery, if nothing else it was a healthy distraction from it all. Brain needs brain food to do its best. This recipe is delicious and easy! Give it a go and feed your brain something healthy!

Be Well BB's

(credit to Laura's Mom for this awesome dish! )

xoxo

Sarah~

Baked ginger lemon salmon with spinach

In a baking pan place a bag of fresh spinach. (just the spinach ,not the bag LOL)

In top of it  place salmon fillets sprinkled with grated ginger root, a tiny bit of grated garlic, salt, black pepper and lemon juice.

pre heat oven at 375 degrees and bake it for 25-30 minutes until the salmon is cooked.

Mash an avocado with lemon juice, black pepper and salt and serve on top of salmon.

I love it with roasted garlic potatoes or mash potatoes yummmmmm.

The credit for this goes to Laura2010, or her mother more accurately. so delicious and nutricious.

Skyy I'm making those eggs, even just for myself, maybe just fewer. I love crab!

This is fun!  :smitten:

Making this tonight! Thought I would bump it as salmon is good for our brains!

Thanks Laura! This thread needs some more recipes...anyone? I like the 5 or less ingredient kind. :)

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=i.4721969370236246&pid=1.7&w=94&h=67&c=7&rs=1

• 3 months later...

Just found this thread and can hardly wait to go back to the beginning to read all the recipes.

Sarah, I'm so tired of my salmon recipe. I will definitely try this. Sounds wonderful.

I really need to eat better for my recovery.

Hayden  :crazy:

I thought this would be a fun place where we could share recipes with eachother.. I have been doing the same things for so long..

Enchiladas recipe I got from my mom...its amazing made the other night and makes about 6 big enchiladas.

1lb ground beef

1 green bell pepper

1 can olives

1 package of cream cheese

1 package of burrito size flour tortillas

1 bad shredded cheese

1 can enchilada sauce

1 container of sour cream (optional)

green onions(optional)

pre heat oven to 400

chop up olives and bell peppers and cook in a frying pan with the ground beef.

slice the cream cheesw square into six long wise.

take tortilla add one slice of the cream cheese, about 1/6th of your beef and veggies mixture, sprinkle with shredded cheese.. then roll it up.. do not fold edges in like you would a burrito. place in baking pan.. continue with the next five.(if you use soft taco size tortillas you can always make more smaller ones)

once they are all in the pan top with enchilada sauce. i found i do not even need to use the whole can just enough to cover them. then use the remainder of cheese to evenly distribute on top.. place in oven and bake until the cheese on top is cooked to your liking..(I love it slightly burt/crispy)

then you can top with sour cream and some green onions if desired!

(If you would like to make a healthier version of this i have substituted the beef for canned shredded chicken that you can find in the tuna section.. and used fat free or low fat cream cheese and sour cream.)

ENJOY!!

Sounds great! I'll give it a try. :thumbsup:

Marinated beef stew:

2/3 cup of dry red wine

5 tbls of Teriyaki sauce

5 cloves of garlic

1/2 package  of penne noodles

1 1/2 lbs cubed sirloin steak

2 packages of fresh mushrooms, or one large package.

1 large onion

1/3 cup of water

a crock pot

Marinade the cubed steak overnight in 2/3 cup of wine, 5 tabls of the teriyaki sauce, the water and 5 cloves of crushed garlic.

Put all of the ingredients in a crock pot first thing in the morning. Turn on "high."

Let it cook for five hours.

Add the sliced mushrooms and sliced onion. Stir.

Cook an additional 2 hours on high.

Make the penne according to the instructions.

Put the noodles on your plate and then add the beef stew on the top of it, with sauce. Yum! You can add salt as needed.

Bets

You all have to try this salad. I never thought watermelon and feta could go together, but's it's awesome. Great summer salad.

Watermelon and Feta Salad

5 lb watermelon cut into cubes

1 red onion sliced and ringed

1/4 C red wine vinegar

Salt & pepper

1/2 C olive oil

Chopped fresh mint

4 oz feta crumbled

Gently combine watermelon, feta, S & P and mint in a large bowl.

Pour vinegar and oil over the watermelon mixture and toss gently.

Serve immediately.

Serves 6-8.

I only needed 2 servings so I cut down on amount of the watermelon mixture and eyeballed the olive oil and red wine vinegar. I mixed it at the last minute so it didn't get soggy. You may want to try balsamic instead of red wine vinegar.

Hope you enjoy it.

Hayden

Me again. Found this on line.

Only Marinade You'll Ever Need

Equal parts Wish Bone Italian dressing and Kraft Original BBQ sauce.

Or any Italian dressing & BBQ sauce for that matter.

Great for beef, ribs and chicken. Marinate for 2-3 hours or over night.

(Guess who it's sponsored by but they're right - only one you need)

Hayden