Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lets Share recipes!

[as...]

Fat Free chicken alfredo ;D

8 ou bowtie pasta, cooked

1/2 pkg bacon, cooked and crunbled

3 chicken breasts, roasted and cut up

1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided

1/2 pkg frozen Italian vegs.

S&p to taste

2 cups of alfredo sauce

Preheat oven to 350

Prepare pasta and drain..

Cook in microwave the fro italian vegs

drain pasta and add to cheese sauce and chicken, vegs and bacon and 1/2 c of mozarella.

Put mixture in 8 x 8 pan and top with mozarella and bake for about 20 mins.

Alfredo sauce:

2 cups lowfat milk

2 TA butter

1TA flour

3 minced garlic

1 cup fresh parmesan

1/3 c lowfat creamcheese

saute garlic in butter, add flour and stire. gradually add in milk and creamcheese and simmer

until sauce thickens. Stir in parmesan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mi...]

• [as...]

• [le...]

• [Ka...]

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

--Self crusting potato and vegetable  "Quiche"  4-6 servings--

this quiche contains potato for bulk, and other vegetables for flavour.

*1 large onion chopped          1 tablsp butter

3/4 tsp salt

*2 garlic cloves                        1/2 cup self-rasing flour

*3 eggs

*1 cup milk

*2 cooked potatoes

*1 cup well drained-asparagus or spinach/silverbeet or mushrooms or broccoli

*1cup grated cheese..

cook chopped onions and garlic in butter until tender. cool.

Stir in eggs, salt,and milk and beat with fork until mixed.

pour this into a large bowl containing the flour and stir until combined.

Add the potatoes cut into 1cm cubes the chopped well -

well drained vegetables and cheese.

Pour into a prepared  20- 30cm pan. garnish with sliced tomatoe, or thinly sliced red andgreenpeppers(if desired)

Bake at 425 F  for 20-30 minutes, until lightly browned and set in the centre.

ENJOY- ENJOY  go well and eat well  Cheers, Wal

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Being an Ohioan I've always loved this recipe. If sugar doesn't rev your symptoms try these, they're so good.  :)

Buckeyes

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups peanut butter

1 cup butter, softened

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

6 cups confectioners' sugar

4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1.In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet.

2.Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.

3.Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth.

4.Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.

Sassy :smitten:

A healthy dip for crouditas - or even lightly steamed veggies

One avocado peeled and chunked

One onion, loosely chopped (just whack at it a few times)

3 cups tightlybpacked raw spinach - leave stem in unless they are really big and tough

Juice from one lemon

One teaspoon sea salt

Throw all into the food processor for about a minute, may have to use the pulse a couple of times.

When it's smooth, you'll still see some brighter green flecks of spinach, but no chunks..

If you can't eat it all, put it in a jar or any container with a tight lid and it will keep in the refrigerator up to two days. Raw, ALIVE and yummy!

[5a...]

Homemade Authentic Hummus (Healthy Chick Pea Dip)

1 can chick peas (rinsed and drained)

1/2 cup Tahini* (sometimes spelled Tahina)

1 clove garlic (cut into 4 pieces)

1/2 tsp salt

juice from 1 lemon

water (about 1/4 cup)

Add all ingredients EXCEPT THE WATER in a food proccessor. Start the food processor on high.  Add the water a bit at a time until desired texture (thickness) of the hummus.  Taste and adjust lemon/salt if needed (depends how tangy you like it).

Serve as a dip with veggies, pita bread, crackers, chicken, fish, etc.

* Tahini is a crushed sesame paste, sold in a jar, in the Middle-eastern section of the grocery store.  Shake well before using because the product separates and settles to the bottom of the jar.

• 2 weeks later...

Homemade Authentic Hummus (Healthy Chick Pea Dip)

1 can chick peas (rinsed and drained)

1/2 cup Tahini* (sometimes spelled Tahina)

1 clove garlic (cut into 4 pieces)

1/2 tsp salt

juice from 1 lemon

water (about 1/4 cup)

Add all ingredients EXCEPT THE WATER in a food proccessor. Start the food processor on high.  Add the water a bit at a time until desired texture (thickness) of the hummus.  Taste and adjust lemon/salt if needed (depends how tangy you like it).

Serve as a dip with veggies, pita bread, crackers, chicken, fish, etc.

* Tahini is a crushed sesame paste, sold in a jar, in the Middle-eastern section of the grocery store.  Shake well before using because the product separates and settles to the bottom of the jar.

what is tahini?

[5a...]

I described TAHINI the best way I know how at the end of the recipe.  :laugh:

It is a MUST ingredient in hummus.

In the grocery store, you'll find it in the section where they sell foods from other nationalities, like middle-eastern, or indian, or chinese... you need a mid-eastern (arabic) section of the grocery store (ask a clerk).

Since hummus is so trendy now, you can find TAHINI at alot of grocery stores...

So tahini is crushed sesame seeds.  It is sold in a jar (for about 5.00$ more or less), and is pasty, kinda the texture of peanut butter (pasty and oily) but more liquidy.  You need to shake the jar well before using it. Don't taste it on its' own, it's gross.  But delicious when mixed with the chick peas to make hummus.

We have been making hummus for ages because it's originates from our culture..this is my grandma's recipe.  When you buy it in the store it is so expensive, like 5.00 bucks for a little container of hummus.  When you make it yourself, you KNOW what's in it, no preservatives or anything..and it's so much more economical.  A can of chick peas is like 89 cents or something.  And the tahini will last a long long time.  I keep it in my pantry with my oils and vinegars and stuff.

Let me know if you end up making it and how you like it!  It's a little bit more trouble, but trust me, you'll never buy the store bought hummus again, once you've tasted this stuff !

This is a chocolate banana shake I make for my daughter (and my hubby and I steal some).

2 ripe bananas

1 Cup ice

1 Cup Almond Milk

2 heaping T Plain Greek Yogurt

2 heaping T Cocoa

Blend till smooth and drink!  SO yummy.  The first sip may seem bitter b/c the only sugar is from the bananas, but after 2 sips the flavours really mix and it become sweeter.  SO YUMMY and not too bad for you!

I use a similar recipe for hummus as posted above by August, but I sometimes add flavour to it.  Sometime I add either 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1 tablespoon of curry powder to it, OR 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard and about 2 tablespoon of dill. 

Another great idea w/ hummus, is to take some nice fresh multigrain bread, spread on some hummus with sliced cucumber and sliced peppers and it makes a GREAT sandwich.  We eat hummus almost daily.  My husband sprinkles crushed walnuts on his sandwich and I sometimes add sunflower seeds. 

[5a...]

Great ideas for the hummus Shatje!

Since you like hummus so much, maybe you'd like the babaghanoush too.  It's the same prinicipal as hummus, but instead of a chick pea base, it's eggplant.

Have you heard of it or tasted it?  Anyway, if you want that recipe, or any other middle-eastern recipe, let me know.

We always get a kick out of seeing all of this stuff (hummus, babaghanoush, tabouli, etc) in the grocery stores... we have been eating it forever ...I remember when I was little, my friends used to look at me strange when I would eat all of these "different" foods.  Now it's everywhere. :thumbsup:

I described TAHINI the best way I know how at the end of the recipe.  :laugh:

It is a MUST ingredient in hummus.

In the grocery store, you'll find it in the section where they sell foods from other nationalities, like middle-eastern, or indian, or chinese... you need a mid-eastern (arabic) section of the grocery store (ask a clerk).

Since hummus is so trendy now, you can find TAHINI at alot of grocery stores...

So tahini is crushed sesame seeds.  It is sold in a jar (for about 5.00$ more or less), and is pasty, kinda the texture of peanut butter (pasty and oily) but more liquidy.  You need to shake the jar well before using it. Don't taste it on its' own, it's gross.  But delicious when mixed with the chick peas to make hummus.

We have been making hummus for ages because it's originates from our culture..this is my grandma's recipe.  When you buy it in the store it is so expensive, like 5.00 bucks for a little container of hummus.  When you make it yourself, you KNOW what's in it, no preservatives or anything..and it's so much more economical.  A can of chick peas is like 89 cents or something.  And the tahini will last a long long time.  I keep it in my pantry with my oils and vinegars and stuff.

Let me know if you end up making it and how you like it!  It's a little bit more trouble, but trust me, you'll never buy the store bought hummus again, once you've tasted this stuff !

Thanks for the info on tahini.

Here is our favorite chicken salad. Very differant and great on hot days.  :thumbsup:

The dressing can be cooked up in batches and frozen. Don't put in the mayo until after thawing sauce. The mayo doesn't freeze well.

Chicken salad with cooked dressing

Cooked dressing:

1/4 c. heavy whipping cream

1/4 c. chicken stock

1/2 c. cider vinegar

2 egg yolks

1 tbls flour

2 tbls sugar

1 tbls dry mustard

Put everything into a double boiler and mix with wire whip.  Cook, stirring constantly until thick. Set aside to cool...I put  mine in the fridge to cool.

When cool mix this with 1 cup good mayo, don't use miracle whip. Set aside.

6 boneless chicken breasts. I use the frozen. Boil until tender enough to shred. Until they are almost falling apart.

2 large stalks celery chopped fine

1 small onion chopped fine

Shred chicken and mix with onion, celery and cooked dressing.

Josephine

• 1 month later...

BAKED SAVOURY FISH FILLETS

2 1/2 lbs. of your favourite white fish fillets

6 oz. thin smoked bacon strips

8 onions

5 tomatoes

1 1/2 green bell peppers

1 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste

2 garlic cloves

1/2 cup red wine

1/2 cup white wine

4 potatoes

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. oregano flakes

1 tbsp. paprika powder ( red pepper, not chili powder)

olive oil

salt & pepper to taste

12 black olives (optional)

SAUCE: Sauté 3 finely chopped onions and bell peppers in a few tablespoons of olive oil, adding the minced garlic later. When the onions and the peppers have softened, add the chopped tomatoes (with skin and seeds), the tomato paste, red wine, oregano and sugar and continue cooking at medium heat until the sauce has thickened, then adjust the salt and pepper to taste.

POTATOES: While the sauce is cooking, boil the potatoes in salted water until done.

FISH PREPARATION: Put the fish fillets in a bowl and sprinkle them with most of the paprika and salt. Cut the remaining 5 onions in thin rings and put them as a bed in a refractory (heat proof) dish, adding a few spoons of olive oil and all the white wine. Cover all the onions with the fish fillets and put the bacon strips over them.

Depending on the size of the baking dish, you may need to put 2 layers of the fillets and the bacon between them. Then spread all the sauce covering the dish and add some olive oil.

Cut the potatoes into medium cubes and garnish the dish with them around all the edges and scatter the remaining cubes over all the dish, as also the black olives.

Lightly sprinkle the potatoes with the remaining paprika. Bake in an oven at 325°F until most of the bubbling ceases.

Makes 4-6 servings

Folks have posted some amazing recipes, Thanks!

I've been craving sugar and can't have any right now but here is a favorite recipe:

Banana-Walnut Upside-Down Cake

1 cup brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup plus 2 T. unsalted butter, divided

3 T. maple syrup

1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted

4 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced

3/4 cup sugar (white)

1 egg

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. salt

6 T. milk

* Optional: whipped cream

Combine brown sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan; cook over low heat until butter melts and mixture is well blended.

Pour into an ungreased 9" round cake pan, spreading to coat bottom of pan.  Pour maple syrup over sugar mixture and sprinkle evenly with walnuts. 

Place banana slices in concentric circles over nuts, overlapping slightly and covering the bottom.

Blend together sugar and remaining 6 T. butter until fluffy in a large mixing bowl; add egg and vanilla , beating until well blended.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. 

Spoon batter over bananas and bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen.

Cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes; invert cake onto a serving platter.  Let stand 3 minutes; remove cake from pan.

Serve warm with whipped cream.

Junk Yard Salad

1 can of cherry pie filling

1 can of sweetened condensed milk

1 medium can of crushed pineapple (drained)

14 oz. Cool Whip

1 cup of coconut

1 small package of miniature marshmallows

1 cup of nuts (your choice)

Mix all ingredients and place in shallow rectangular Pyrex or similar dish.  Place in refrigerator and allow to chill.  Cut into large blocks and serve as salad or dessert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Skyy...I sure took my sweet a$$ time getting here, eh? lol. I remember you told me, but I get so flippin sidetracked!!!! :laugh: At least you telling me motived me to google it! xoxox

This is super easy peasy recipe with only 4 ingredients.

Pork tenderloin with Ginger, Rosemary & Orange Marmalade Glaze

You will need:

1 pork Tenderloin, the ones that come in the long tube)

Fresh ginger root

Ground rosemary

jar of orange marmalaid (or you can make from scratch, I keep thinking I will but simplicity gets the best of me  :P)

Cut the tenderoin into approx 3 in pieces and place in lightly greased baking pan. peel and grate fresh ginger over each piece, just some. (the most widely used measurment ;)) Then put a dollop or 2 (spoons full) of orange maramalaid on each piece, then sprinkle the rosemary.

Cover and bake at 350 for 25-30 min.

Pours a bit of the juice over tope when serving. I like to serve with steamed brussel sprouts, Rosemary bread (no its not too much rosemary) with pesto, and a spinach, salad with pomogranite seeds and champange salad dressing. So yummy, very impressive and super easy...freeing you up to enjoy your guests even if its just you and a friend or just you:)

**For the Martha Stewart in you, I like to tie a sprig of rosemary onto the napkins when I decorate the table for this event and usually have a rosemary plant and plop it into a decorative planter for the table. Instead of wine and I know we can't drink now, but I would serve champange as a surprise. I would probably use sparkling cider and keep it in the light theme.  bon Appetite'

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/sarahndipity123/yummy.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Sarah.  Love new recipes and going to try yours in the next week (need to go grocery shopping) ... I will let you know if I screw it up, I'm pretty good at that these days  :wacko:  I even messed up my lasagna recipe and I've been making it for years, somehow ...cream cheese and sausage made it in there with no tomatoes.  My kids told me that it would have tasted really good with a fried egg LOL, sheesh!

LOL, Flutter... :laugh:I forget parts of everything all the time these days. I just go with it as best I can. We won't always be so spaced out.  :crazy:

Have you ever noticed though how some of your "goofs" turn into a whole new awesome recipe? I'm going to give you that one. I think lasagna is hard.  :D Lots of ingredients, lots of steps. If I make lasagna there is love going on somewhere!

Happy cooking. What's your favorite recipe?

xoxoxo

Sarah~

Crab "deviled" Eggs:

12 hard boiled eggs cut in half, remove and save yolks for another use.

2 TBS mascarpone Cheese

1 TBS sour cream

1 TBS mayonaise

1 TBS Dijon mustard

Salt and Pepper to taste

2 TBS Chopped Celery

2 TbS  Chopped Chives

1/2 Cup Lump Crab meat

1 TBS Lemon juice    Mix together and fill eggs.....makes 24 halves.  delish.....